Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Not a comparison you can make giving the circumstance. The intel ssd isn’t even nvme.

NAND is NAND. NVMe or SATA is the interface. The interface is already built into the SoC so it's actually cheaper for Apple.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
While 512Gig model would make more $$$ for Apple, its a strange way to say "We want users to use iCloud"

While, in comparison... if you waned to get people to use a service wouldn't you wanna NOT give them more local storage ?

That would force people to delete, and use the cloud more. As Apple gives you more store with every phone release, All they are doing is weakening the amount of data you store in the cloud less and less, and shifting it to local storage on the phone, more and more

I use both actually. My files are stored on iCloud and on my devices (such as photos). I have a ton of files stored in Dropbox as well, that are also synced to my iOS devices via documents.

I use iCloud more as a means of syncing and backup rather than to save storage space on my iOS devices. I got a 256 gb iPhone so I didn’t have to worry about space constraints or managing files.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
NAND is NAND. NVMe or SATA is the interface. The interface is already built into the SoC so it's actually cheaper for Apple.

Your now claiming nvme is cheaper than ufs because apple built it in?

Your not making much sense.

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015
Apple failed under Jobs too. Forget that part?

Sorry, what? When? I didn't bother reading the rest of your post.
[doublepost=1537832493][/doublepost]
And yet it baffles me how people can afford a $1k iPhone but cannot afford 99c a month for 50GB iCloud.

It baffles you that people choose not to purchase something they don't value just because they can afford it? It baffles me that you don't understand that some people simply don't want a cloud.

In my case, the cloud may be 99c for 50GB of storage, but my 5 gig of monthly data transfer on my iPhone costs me $60 and each additional gig is $20 (and that's actually good price here in Canada). So what good is iCloud to me? Local storage holding my photos, music, etc is the only way that works.

Last edited:

brofkand

Suspended
Jun 11, 2006
If you turn iCloud off anyway, then whatever Apple offer for free doesn’t matter then. :p

The only part of iCloud that consumes storage that I use is device backup, and then only for my iPhone (and I've disabled a lot of sources so that it fits within the 5GB limit). If it weren't for Photo stream, Find my iPhone, Safari bookmarks sync, and Keychain sync I would have disabled it long ago. I'd love to use it more but I am not going to pay more for it.

Reactions: UmichAg

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Having to use an SD card slot to raise your phones storage is just not an optimal solution though. I did that with my last Android phone and it was a pain. Some apps couldn't even be stored on the card and you had to adjust settings to that photos and videos defaulted to being saved on the card. In addition, despite a high end card it was a little slower than local storage. I found myself having to actively manage what went on local storage and what went on the card. Netflix lived on local storage, but downloaded shows from Netflix lived on the card and I had to configure that. No.
All I keep on my micro SD card are photos, video, audio, and documents. Never had to run apps off SD card, so can't comment on that.

Also, FWIW, getting an SD card is a fraction of the cost being charged to get that on the phone. You sound like you're willing to pay that premium. More storage to ya.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
In my case, the cloud may be 99c for 50GB of storage, but my 5 gig of monthly data transfer on my iPhone costs me $60 and each additional gig is $20 (and that's actually good price here in Canada). So what good is iCloud to me? Local storage holding my photos, music, etc is the only way that works.

iCloud also syncs also WiFi. That’s what I do. My files sync and backup over WiFi when I am back at home.

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015
iCloud also syncs also WiFi. That’s what I do. My files sync and backup over WiFi when I am back at home.

Then you only have access to the majority of your files at home. I guess that works for you, it doesn't for me.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Then you only have access to the majority of your files at home. I guess that works for you, it doesn't for me.

No, they are on my phone right now even as I reply to this. Syncing via iCloud doesn’t mean they aren’t available to me outside of my house. It just means that any changes, such as new photos taken, get propagated to my other devices at home over WiFi (and I can still transfer them via airdrop in a pinch).

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
That's true. I guess just I miss when Apple measured success by how it improved customers' lives rather than by the price of the company's stock....
Apple still thinks along the lines of making a difference in peoples lives, but you have stopped hearing them for reasons of your own. Anyone remember the iphone 1 and how Apple had to drop the price? That was in 2007.

The mention of the stock price is the counter to some of the anti-apple "is doomed" rhetoric that seems pervasive for the last 7 years.
[doublepost=1537843924][/doublepost]

It truly amazes me there are so many people here who will brag about how great Apple is *because of* their high profits, when the reality is other companies simply aren't as eager to gimp their products in pursuit of the short term bottom line.
What "short term". He has had the reigns since Aug 2011, over 7 years. It should be obvious that he is successful at taking apple to the next level and Apples products are being bought in record numbers. We'll see what happens this fiscal quarter.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Sorry, what? When? I didn't bother reading the rest of your post.
[doublepost=1537832493][/doublepost]

It baffles you that people choose not to purchase something they don't value just because they can afford it? It baffles me that you don't understand that some people simply don't want a cloud.

I guess you don’t remember any failures under Jobs? Or did you think I meant the company went bankrupt?

You don’t remember Jobs recruiting Sculley for CEO only to get thrown out a couple years later?

Or the Apple Lisa, G4 Cube, Macintosh TV?

Or how about his mess of a supply chain and trying to produce parts in house to the point he hired Tim Cook to clean it up?

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015
No, they are on my phone right now even as I reply to this. Syncing via iCloud doesn’t mean they aren’t available to me outside of my house. It just means that any changes, such as new photos taken, get propagated to my other devices at home over WiFi (and I can still transfer them via airdrop in a pinch).

The point we were talking about is the idea that you should skimp on the local storage because you can store all your data on iCloud and let Apple decide what should live in the limited local space and what should be banished to the crowd. I suppose on fast wifi that isn't so bad.

And before that, it was the OP saying that people choosing not to spend a little every month on iCloud after $1000 on a phone is silly. I said that there are many reasons people don't to use iCloud and I gave one of the reasons I don't. You seized on my reason as if it were the entire point and not one minor example.

But you just keep moving the bar and changing what you're talking about and pretending you're arguing from the same position.
[doublepost=1537845230][/doublepost]
Apple failed under Jobs too. Forget that part?

This is what you said the firs time

I guess you don’t remember any failures under Jobs? Or did you think I meant the company went bankrupt?

You don’t remember Jobs recruiting Sculley for CEO only to get thrown out a couple years later?

Or the Apple Lisa, G4 Cube, Macintosh TV?

Or how about his mess of a supply chain and trying to produce parts in house to the point he hired Tim Cook to clean it up?

So, no, none of your examples are "Apple failing under Jobs".

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
The point we were talking about is the idea that you should skimp on the local storage because you can store all your data on iCloud and let Apple decide what should live in the limited local space and what should be banished to the crowd. I suppose on fast wifi that isn't so bad.

And before that, it was the OP saying that people choosing not to spend a little every month on iCloud after $1000 on a phone is silly. I said that there are many reasons people don't to use iCloud and I gave one of the reasons I don't. You seized on my reason as if it were the entire point and not one minor example.

But you just keep moving the bar and changing what you're talking about and pretending you're arguing from the same position.
[doublepost=1537845230][/doublepost]

This is what you said the firs time

So, no, none of your examples are "Apple failing under Jobs".
What do you mean? Those are examples of Apple failing under Jobs. You want me to bring up the multiple years of no profits too? What is failure to you? Closing their doors forever?

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015

I believe you. But that's not the problem iCloud was supposed to solve in this discussion. What if you have a 64 gig iPhone and want to hold 100 gig of photos/videos? Some of your data will only exist in the cloud.

I don't really care for iCloud on the phone no matter that Apple did with it. Though I actually would love to use iCloud on my Mac, but there is no way to prevent it from syncing over cellular (when the mac is tethered to the iPhone) and no way to control what stays on the mac and what stays on the cloud. 2TB of storage that shows up as a common hard drive on all my macs would be amazing for the $10/month. But it doesn't work that way and even if it did, the risk of it syncing over cellular would kill it.
[doublepost=1537847529][/doublepost]
What "short term". He has had the reigns since Aug 2011, over 7 years. It should be obvious that he is successful at taking apple to the next level and Apples products are being bought in record numbers. We'll see what happens this fiscal quarter.

7 years is short term. Perhaps that misunderstanding is part of the problem.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I believe you. But that's not the problem iCloud was supposed to solve in this discussion. What if you have a 64 gig iPhone and want to hold 100 gig of photos/videos? Some of your data will only exist in the cloud.

I don't really care for iCloud on the phone no matter that Apple did with it. Though I actually would love to use iCloud on my Mac, but there is no way to prevent it from syncing over cellular (when the mac is tethered to the iPhone) and no way to control what stays on the mac and what stays on the cloud. 2TB of storage that shows up as a common hard drive on all my macs would be amazing for the $10/month. But it doesn't work that way and even if it did, the risk of it syncing over cellular would kill it.
[doublepost=1537847529][/doublepost]

7 years is short term. Perhaps that misunderstanding is part of the problem.
When does Tims tenure become long term? 7 years imo, is not short term. But we will see.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Not sure how this works but 500GB SSD drives go for as low as $100, here Apple is charging $250 to upgrade to 512GB
Something is not right. Also USB stick 128GB goes for $30

They should start at 128GB, but there’s a ton of profit in charging an extra $150 for the 256GB model.

64GB in a $1000 device is embarrassing.

This hurts since there was a time when I bought $2000+ top of the line computer and it came with 80GB. Now 64GB in a cellphone is embarrassing.

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
Agreed. I am interested but was taken aback by the pricing of the last two updates of iPhones. Consequently, I am still using an iPhone 4S. Apple risks a cycle whereby people hold on to their phones until they fail becuase the new models are so expensive. I suppose that is good for the environment, but it is not good for the Apple 'ecosystem'. Let me put it this way: how many people do you see rocking obsolete or outright broken iPhones? Where I am the number seems to grow every day and this hardly projects the kind of image I think Apple wants to project.
Well it's not like there haven't been more affordable offerings. Apple has been consistently expanding the price range of iPhones, aside from updating the SE this year. Will you get the latest and greatest? No. And I feel like you're never going to see another 500$ iPhone with new hardware.

Reactions: ackmondual

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Apple still thinks along the lines of making a difference in peoples lives, but you have stopped hearing them for reasons of your own. Anyone remember the iphone 1 and how Apple had to drop the price? That was in 2007.

The mention of the stock price is the counter to some of the anti-apple "is doomed" rhetoric that seems pervasive for the last 7 years.

It is one thing thinking about changing people's lives, it is another to deliver affordable products that do. Apple is failing at that. I've been using Apple products for a long time (since the 1980's) and the vision and quality of Apple products has been declining while the prices have been increasing. But sure, if you think animojis that animate your face as a unicorn or a pile of excrement changes peoples' lives, then by all means enjoy your Apple products and invest in the company.

As for the stock, I cannot deny that Apple is a successful business ... for now. However, I saw the company struggle after the first time Jobs left. I see the same signs of Apple losing focus (and quality control) now. Hopefully the company can stop the rot, but right now I remain with Apple because other IT ecosystems do not appeal, not becuase I believe the Apple ecosystem is as cutting edge and brilliant as it once was.
[doublepost=1537871153][/doublepost]
Well it's not like there haven't been more affordable offerings. Apple has been consistently expanding the price range of iPhones, aside from updating the SE this year. Will you get the latest and greatest? No. And I feel like you're never going to see another 500$ iPhone with new hardware.

True. The problem is that if you buy the flagship model at a given point in time, the 'affordable' models released subsequently do not seem to be much of an upgrade. For instance, the battery life of my 4S is longer than that of many subsequent models. Of course that is because my 4S is less capable, but then again the new capabilities that Apple seems to introduce aren't that fantastic and tend to come at a cost (such as reduced battery life, difficulty in repairing the phone, etc.). Even time I have considered upgrading to a 'economy' version of the iPhone I just haven't seen that much advantage to doing so.

Reactions: ackmondual

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
It is one thing thinking about changing people's lives, it is another to deliver affordable products that do. Apple is failing at that. I've been using Apple products for a long time (since the 1980's) and the vision and quality of Apple products has been declining while the prices have been increasing. But sure, if you think animojis that animate your face as a unicorn or a pile of excrement changes peoples' lives, then by all means enjoy your Apple products and invest in the company.

As for the stock, I cannot deny that Apple is a successful business ... for now. However, I saw the company struggle after the first time Jobs left. I see the same signs of Apple losing focus (and quality control) now. Hopefully the company can stop the rot, but right now I remain with Apple because other IT ecosystems do not appeal, not becuase I believe the Apple ecosystem is as cutting edge and brilliant as it once was.

Deliver affordable products?

When did apple ever claim to do that?
They were always considered to be expensive, not affordable.

Even the first shuffle was vilified for being overpriced and that cost $99

Reactions: I7guy

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

I would recommend the app tripmode for the Mac. I use it to control which apps have access to the internet when tethered to my phone and it helps prevents iCloud Photo Library from syncing (amongst other downloads).

I feel you. I had the same issues initially, which is why I prefer a cellular-enabled iPad over a MacBook so much.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Deliver affordable products?

When did apple ever claim to do that?
They were always considered to be expensive, not affordable.

Even the first shuffle was vilified for being overpriced and that cost $99

I suppose I think there is a difference between expensive and exploitive. ;)

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
I suppose I think there is a difference between expensive and exploitive. ;)

That doesn’t apply here.

Unless you feel apple is exploiting you, which I fail to see how you can come to that conclusion.

You do realize that devices are more expensive because they include technology, components, and materials not found in any other mobile devices which merits apples high prices

Accusing apple of exploiting you or it’s customers is rather a weak and false argument When consumers give apple their money in exchange for products or services, it is considered a free exchange of commerce not undue subjugation...like you seem to be claiming.

Reactions: I7guy

phillypharm

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2012
I agree that 128 gb should have been the starting level, but let's be real. Apple would never do that because too many people would be fine with 128 gb and not feel the urge to jump to 256 gb. 64 gb feels a little tight, but 128 gb is fine. With not offering the 128 gb option, that means apple can upsell by $150 easily vs just $50.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

Ever ask yourself why the s9 or note 9 is allegedly doing poorly? Is Samsung out to change peoples lives by throwing technology into a phone that few want or need while at the same time charging the same prices apple does?

There is no doubt the iphone 1 was expensive and Steve Jobs lead the way with that. The iphone 1 changed the way people used phones and the xs and xs max continue to the the same. As far as animoji, they are an embodiment of a powerful tech that apple has developed, you may not see it this way, but to each their own. And I do enjoy their products and invest in the company. On the same note, if you don't enjoy their products, divest your securities and sell your apple products and find another suitable vendor, such as Microsoft.

As far as apple being a successful business for now, Jeff Bezos is a wealthy man, for now as well. Whether you feel apple is just coasting or is moving the needle, the customers have spoken and it seems they have a different opinion than you.

dilbert99

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2012
When Apple charges more than the going rate for storage and doesn't include an SD card option, its piss poor.
Perhaps with all the complaints, apple will finally see the light, won't hold my breath though

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.