Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PeterB10128

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2007
No matter how many times I try to reset the phone by pressing the power button and home key, it just goes black for a few moments and then back to the Apple logo reboot screen - and it doesn't advance from there.

Any advice on how to fix this problem?

I can't be the only person to have encountered this problem...

PeterB10128

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2007
Yes, I've tried holding both for 25 seconds and I still can't get past the Apple logo screen.

mercury6966

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2007
hey i have almost the same problem, except i get the "Please connect to itunes" which means my iphone is in restore mode for some wierd reason. It was working this morning and then i go to use my phone and there you have that message. believe it or not this is my 2nd iphone i had the same issues with my 1st iphone plus the wifi would not work. they exchanged it for me and then i had the wifi issue again right after I got that "Please connect to itunes" thing again and it forced me to restore and now for the 2nd time since i got my new iphone I got that message again. this is really annoying, i'm going to see those geniuses at the apple store i'm not doing a restore so that they can see how crappy this phone has become. I'm so done that i'm thinking of just asking for my money back.

emburaman

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2008
Still Stuck

I do have the same problem... and no matter how many seconds I keep Home + Wake buttons pressed, it still freezes on Apple's logo screen.

Here's what I was doing in the momment it got frozen:
The Installer.app was showing me an error so I decided to restore my iPhone. When I connected iPhone to the dock and opened iTunes, it asked me to set up a new phone or restore the backup file I created previously. I chose restore backup. In the middle of the restoring backup file, the phone froze. I closed iTunes and rebooted iPhone. Then, the weird apple logo insists...

Unfortunately I'm in Brazil, that mean I don't have an Apple Store to run into.

Any hellp appreciated!!!!!!!!

emburaman

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2008
Hard Recovery - This might solve

Hi there,

I was almost desperate about that issue. I was looking for someone to take my iPhone to an Apple Store in US, when I found this post in YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2foiTBSn3k). Spacemonks' comment saved my day! :):D:):D

If you are experiencing the same I was, try this:

1) Hold buttons sleep + home untill iPhone turns off;
2) Open iTunes;
3) Hold home button and plug the phone to your computer. The phone will turn on and the iTunes + Arrow + cable screen will appear.;
4) iTunes will recover you phone from unsuccessful recovery process.

Thanks again to Spacemonks!! :):):)

b.james13

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2007
No matter how many times I try to reset the phone by pressing the power button and home key, it just goes black for a few moments and then back to the Apple logo reboot screen - and it doesn't advance from there.

Any advice on how to fix this problem?

I can't be the only person to have encountered this problem...

Yea i had the same problem. What you need to do is put the phone in recovery mode. to do this do the following:

1. Do a hard reset on the phone, hold the sleep/wake button + the home button until it turns off then release before it turns back on.

2. Plug the dock into the compute and have iTunes running.

3. HOLD the home button on the iPhone, while holding it, connect the iPhone onto the dock and CONTINUE to hold the home button until the CONNECT TO ITUNES DISPLAY APPEARS.

4. iTunes will recognize this and ask if you would like to restore it. Click restore. Then choose to restore from BACKUP! This will take a few minutes. It will fix the problem. Your iPhone will be up and running as normal and all your contacts, sms, bookmarks, settings, etc. will be intact. The only thing that will be erased is the music. But you can easily add that all back right.

Hope this helps :D

emburaman

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2008
Yeah BJames,

Thanks!!
As I mention in my 2nd post (right after 1st), that Plug Dock + Hold Home really worked!!

Thanks again!
Regards!

stoked2skate

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2008
The FIX

yes, James knows what he is talking about! Thank you so much you saved me a trip to the Apple Store, and i was so worried that my phone would be stuck turning on and off for good! SO hold the home button when you plug it into iTunes, it really works! thanks again James.

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2006
whew thanks! That just happened to me, i was freaking out. I tried downloading this application "Mind Warp" optical ollusion from the App Store, i've never hacked or jailbroken my iphone, it's only 3 days old, and right as the app was installing, the iPhone froze, so I turned it off, it spazzed out a little and went to the apple page, for good!!! idk what happened,

rmmasi

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2008
Tanzania, Dodoma University
iPhone touch screes does not responding

I need urgent help since yesterday afternoon my iPhone touch screen does not responding at all. However, I can receve calls but I can not do anything. I didn't drop my phone just started behaving like that from no where. I have tried all possible options, including turning off for the whole night, restarting using home buttom for sevaral times but all in vain.

I have even tried to restore using itunes but it was not helpful. What can I do else?

Could any one help me to get solution of this problem?
Raphael Mmasi

zengod

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2008
Last week following a sync with my iMac my iPhone 3G ended up stuck in the apple logo reset and all combinations of reset failed to get it going. O2 were as much use as a chocolate Teapot but I travelled 25 miles to an Apple "genius" who could'nt solve either and replaced it.

Today I had four apps that needed an update which I kicked off wirelessly but - yep once again the new phone did the same thing and became effectively "bricked". With the knowledge in this link I have managed to recover it but I now really suspect that there is a major bug in the apps store updates that Apple need to resolve urgently.

Anyone know how to turn off apps updates otherwise I'm going to remove them all rather than risk losing my phone access for a day again.:mad:

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2008
Thanks. Saved me as well.

The only difference I had from the instructions is that when I held down the home button and plugged in, nothing seemed to happen to wake up the phone. So I pushed the power button while continuing to be plugged in and the home button held and it then started and went into recover mode.

rysmtihaz

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
happens on app install from iPhone

This happens to me every time I do an instal or update from my iPhone. You don't always have to plug it into your computer but it definitely takes much longer. It took me 10 hard resets and pushing the home button to get it to work.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
This happens to me every time I do an instal or update from my iPhone. You don't always have to plug it into your computer but it definitely takes much longer. It took me 10 hard resets and pushing the home button to get it to work.

Mine has frozen on the Apple logo boot screen 37 times since July 11th. I was able to finally get it to boot up four of those times. The other 33, I had to restore. I actually got my iPhone replaced last week, but the new one does the same thing (those numbers above are cumulative) ...

Here's what I've done by way of troubleshooting:

• Reinstall iTunes (7.7)
  • Upgrade iTunes (7.7.1)
  • Unplug USB hub, connect iPhone directly to rear USB port on iMac
  • Delete all backups, set up as new phone (x25)
  • Restore using different PC (x2)
  • Get new iPhone
  • Delete 5A347 firmware, re-download fresh copy
  • Delete all apps from HDD, redownload through iTunes
  • Disable app sync in iTunes, install one by one directly on iPhone (x3)
  • Install apps one by one through iTunes only (no direct installs on iPhone)
  • Leave iPhone off overnight, attempt reboot in morning (x2)

But nothing seems to help. I can usually get all of my apps installed immediately following a restore, but if I try to add any more later that day or the next, it will freeze about 50% of the time. Any ideas?

CSM2000

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
Spokane
Unreal........

I have had to restore numerous times and am now unwilling to update or make ANY purchase or download from the App store. Apparently, it's not the phone that is the problem so we're forced to wait around until Apple finally gets it right. It's new and it has BUGS............Fix it Apple!

CM

njchris

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2007
Huntington Beach, Ca USA
This happened to me last night. I had to force it into the restore mode finally.

Lost a bunch of pics I just took too. :(

Something is screwey with 2.0, and I hope they fix it soon!! :mad:

cliffrouse11bas

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2005
After mine has done this 3-4 times I finally am sending it back to apple. I am tired of spending 2-3 hours restoring and losing all my data because it says my backup file is corrupt.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5B108 Safari/525.20)

cliffrouse11bas said:
After mine has done this 3-4 times I finally am sending it back to apple. I am tired of spending 2-3 hours restoring and losing all my data because it says my backup file is corrupt.

While it might be nice to get a new phone, I wouldn't count on it solving your problem: I've had this freezing issue with TWO iPhone 3Gs and an iPod touch (that has worked perfectly for eight months - until the 2.0 update) ...

PMart317

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2007
yeah apple better fix something because it's a pain to restore iPhone everday to use it. Who wants that. It has to be a certain app you download that is messing w the phone. When ever I try to install or update from app store it freezes and messes it up ! It's annoying. I updated a app and magically 2 of my old apps came on that I just deleted from my comp and phone came back on and then froze and now no apps will work besides the default! This is bad.

Foofur

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2008
Ohio, USA
I don't necessarily think it is the iPhone, but when I took mine to the Apple Store they replaced it. I'm headed again tonight as my second phone (just got it Tuesday) is now doing this. I'm thinking about leaving the majority of Apps off this time around to see if that was this issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.