Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twa747

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2011
Freeze

My froze at the start screen when I went into Settings and now I have to restore it.

kash10785

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2011
Thanks so much

Hi there,

I was almost desperate about that issue. I was looking for someone to take my iPhone to an Apple Store in US, when I found this post in YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2foiTBSn3k). Spacemonks' comment saved my day! :):D:):D

If you are experiencing the same I was, try this:

1) Hold buttons sleep + home untill iPhone turns off;
2) Open iTunes;
3) Hold home button and plug the phone to your computer. The phone will turn on and the iTunes + Arrow + cable screen will appear.;
4) iTunes will recover you phone from unsuccessful recovery process.

Thanks again to Spacemonks!! :):):)

This post save me a lot of time and effort, most important that my data was not damaged!!
I am personally thankful to the person for posting this.

Iphonedummy.

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2011
Yea i had the same problem. What you need to do is put the phone in recovery mode. to do this do the following:

1. Do a hard reset on the phone, hold the sleep/wake button + the home button until it turns off then release before it turns back on.

2. Plug the dock into the compute and have iTunes running.

3. HOLD the home button on the iPhone, while holding it, connect the iPhone onto the dock and CONTINUE to hold the home button until the CONNECT TO ITUNES DISPLAY APPEARS.

4. iTunes will recognize this and ask if you would like to restore it. Click restore. Then choose to restore from BACKUP! This will take a few minutes. It will fix the problem. Your iPhone will be up and running as normal and all your contacts, sms, bookmarks, settings, etc. will be intact. The only thing that will be erased is the music. But you can easily add that all back right.

Hope this helps :D

This helped alot .... UNTIL when iTunes recognized it and i tried to click restore it gives me one option which is to Restore&Update. I do not want to update so I tried SHIFT+Restore button and then selected my iOS firmware restore and got an error message. I'm so lost please help :confused:

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
This helped alot .... UNTIL when iTunes recognized it and i tried to click restore it gives me one option which is to Restore&Update. I do not want to update so I tried SHIFT+Restore button and then selected my iOS firmware restore and got an error message. I'm so lost please help :confused:

For Iphone 3GS/ Iphone 4. Unless you have SHSH blob save, you can't do shift + restore your phone to IOS old firmware you have on your computer. You will always get error from Itunes. You can only restore to the firmware Apple is currently signing.

rickky

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2011
Need help asap my itouch 3g wont restore

MY i touch 3g was jailbroken and i wanted to restore it so i went to settings on my i pod and i clicked reset. it was resetting then it was just stuck on the apple logo. i tried many times to restore it using itunes and when i first did a message popped up sayin if i wanted to backup or restore. i accidently exited out of it and now when i open up itunes and press the home button and hold it the cable connected to itunes picture is on my screen but itunes doesnt say i have an ipod connected. i tried to reinstal itunes and restart my computer but still itunes doesnt pop up with the restore message anymore. need major help!

Jack Bauer

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2011
MY i touch 3g was jailbroken and i wanted to restore it so i went to settings on my i pod and i clicked reset. it was resetting then it was just stuck on the apple logo. i tried many times to restore it using itunes and when i first did a message popped up sayin if i wanted to backup or restore. i accidently exited out of it and now when i open up itunes and press the home button and hold it the cable connected to itunes picture is on my screen but itunes doesnt say i have an ipod connected. i tried to reinstal itunes and restart my computer but still itunes doesnt pop up with the restore message anymore. need major help!

Lack of sleep and restoring a few iPhones prior to this one, I tried to reset and erase all settings. I should have gotten some sleep prior to the last minute decision. It's stuck on the boot up apple, but occasionally it looks like it boots down and then continues to show an activity circulating screen, which stops just showing the fixed apple symbol.

Brucesdawg

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2012
iphone 4 randomly shuts down??

Hi Ok I know there was a thread about this but I havent been able to locate it. I have an iphone 4 for less than a year. It still had a warranty so my carrier sent me a new one when it kept shutting down on me. Now this 2nd one is doing the same thing!? Im getting a new iphone 4s next week & Im wondering if I should expect the same issue? Please tell me what could be the problem?
I appreciate any tips or help u can give me! Thanks!

lourdes in miam

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2012
I m haivng the same problem. I have tried numrous times to reboot pressing the home/start button and then while holding home button connected to I tunes. It goes through the entire restore process but it gives me an error "your phone could not be restore". PLEASE HELP, DON'T KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO.

Thanks,

patriciazales

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2013
:(

I did the following steps like holding the power button like forever until "connect to itunes" pops up

yet..... It says tha server could not be contacted. How can i restoire that? Please help :(

----------

i did the following steps like holding the power button like forever until "connect to itunes" pops up

yet..... It says tha server could not be contacted. How can i restoire that? Please help :(

same problem here! Have you resolved yours? :(

ethanyash

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2013
iphone couldn't be restored and continuously rebooting at logo screen

Hi,

When i plug my iPhone 4S to my computer and try to restore it, it comes up with error 1611 and says it cannot restore, and then i realized it keeps turning off and then back on while trying to restore it, the phone is in dfu mode, i have tried on editing the private/etc/hosts file as mentioned in diff forums .. still im getting the same error..Surprisingly i phone starts up wen connected to power supply but there s no service connectivity ..it wl be on searching status all the time connected to power supply . once i un-plug, it will shut down and restarts at apple logo screen . please find the way to fix it .

leilyben

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2014
Was updating to iOS 8.1 and my phone got unplugged. It is stuck on the apple and status bar screen for the past 4 hours.

Woodylew

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2014
Was updating to iOS 8.1 and my phone got unplugged. It is stuck on the apple and status bar screen for the past 4 hours.

I have the exact same issue:

So on my way to upgrade to my new phone at Verizon I removed my passcode and turned off find my iPhone and pressed erase all data and restore. Now my phone is stuck on apple logo with progress bar but no progress being made.
I put my phone in DFU and itunes sees it but when I restore with itunes nothing happens. Phone shows 12GB free memory-like almost all info is erased.
How can I get this phone working again so I can sell/trade?
Strange-phone is still showing up on find my iPhone

I already restarted my computer and changed USB ports-now it says iPhone can not be restored. Device can not be found.

So now I can't get into DFU mode. I still have Applecare. Should I just take it in and say that I was updating to ios 8.1.1 and this happened? Would they be able to trace the old jailbreak.?

Thank you in advance!
Woody

MariaLuck

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2015
I want to share with you how I fix this problem.

Press and hold both the Power button and Home button until the device reboots and you see the Apple logo. Hopefully, it will continue to boot to your home screen. If it does not, you may have to put it in recovery mode to restore it.

But it may not work for everyone according to different situations. If it fails, maybe you can try to fix iPhone suck on Apple logo by using recovery tool.

Last edited:

Sandonson

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2015
1. Place USB cable into rear USB port of computer but DO NOT connect to I(device) for the moment.

2. Hold Home button and Power button on device for 25 seconds no matter what happens in the mean time. Now let go of both buttons.

3. Now - while holding down home button only, plug USB cable into device. This should bring up connect device to itunes logo with USB cable logo or similar.

If nothing happens after, just leave device alone. Your computer should beep or let you know it has detected something but can not recognize it. Keep an eye out on the task bar for any activity involving found new hardware or device etc. Just keep waiting. Computer should beep or blink a few more times and than YAHOO! up comes the apps and device is up and running again.

NOTE: I had my device on the computer over night and most of the day - approximately 24 hours trying to charge without any success, before trying this idea. All i would get is the charging symbol with a completely discharged battery(RED) and than the apple logo. These would alternate every few seconds or so.

Once the phone was recognized and the screen on the device appeared, it told me that the device was fully charged. Whether this is because i had been charging it for 24 hour, i have no idea. This is a friends IPOD that her little nephew played with. She thought he had completely discharged it, after i had told her to not let it go that far - as i had already fixed this for her once before(SAME ISSUE).

Another thing is that young people are impatient, yes i was impatient once before also. I was young once LOL! DO NOT press continuously on an app to open it, or a button to load something. Just press it once and wait. Even if you have to wait for one minute. PC's including these small ones are funny things and sometimes, they need to sort out what is going on. Multiple presses of buttons and things can confuse the situation more and cause locked screens or failures. Perhaps the devices is doing something in the background just as you press that button and needs extra time to sort the processes out.

Even these small devices are powerful things now and will use a lot of battery when in high use. I know your phone is your world and you can't do without it for any length of time - so it shouldn't need charging RIGHT? Sort out your device power saving section to make things last longer. Try and buy one of those charges that work from body heat or movement. Buy another phone as a replacement while this one is charging. Or just put up with allowing it to charge when it needs to be charged if like most of us, you just can not go out and buy all these things. Also note that it is not good to charge all the time. Let it go almost flat before charging FULLY.... Batteries have memory and need to memorize charging cycles to last longer.

This seems to be some sort of firmware error that forces it into a non recoverable screen. The power of your PC should sort this out without itunes. I don't have itunes installed on my PC because i was sick and tired of lagging and multiple files of music being placed into WMP 11. I use Transcopy instead - to directly place MP3's onto device rather than M4A files. I have saved my M4A files into a separate folder and changed the settings in WMP to not recognize this folder. This is in case i re-download itunes or need them for some other reason. I also have free file converters to change any music files from WMA, MP3 or any other; to whatever i decide is necessary for me.

Max Headroom2

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2015
Iphones check to see if there are any non apple components after an upgrade. Non OEM batteries are the target. If you have replaced your battery the phone will work fine until you do a software upgrade. When you do the upgrade, shortly after your phone will detect a non OEM battery and shut down completely. You will get one of two responses. A completely dead screen or, when the charger is plugged in, apple logo and nothing else. You can get Itunes to recognise the phone but it will refuse to do a restore.

Replace the battery with an OEM battery and the phone will be back to noemal. Don't we love Apple!

Ofterhaver

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2016
I successfully used this way to fix my iPhone stuck on Apple screen:
1. Press and hold the both the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons at the same time until the screen is black.
2. Press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Volume Up buttons together simultaneously until the Apple logo appears again.
3. Release the Sleep/Wake button but keep holding the Volume Up continuously for about at least another 4 or 5 minutes.
4. Release the Volume Up button until you see the Home screen.
No restore was needed and no data loss was caused.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.