iPhone stuck on Recovery Mode

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by OrangeSVTguy, Nov 27, 2009.

1. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

I just bought a 8gb iPhone 2g from a member on this site. This is my first iPhone so I'm not up to date with all the stuff on it. It needed a new battery.

I got it but it wouldn't turn on, just would show the charging screen with 1 red bar when connected via USB. I have since removed the battery but when I go to turn it on, it shows the itunes with USB cable on it and I open up iTunes and try to do a update and restore, it always fails.

I've been googling and trying everything I could find for the last few hours with no luck :(

I have the battery removed now as the one I purchased seems to be defective so I don't get the charging status screen anymore.

Attached Files:

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

3. OrangeSVTguy thread starter macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Thanks. The only real suggestion in that thread turned out didn't work for them so I guess I might as well try and see if it works for me then.

My internal battery is removed. I'm waiting to get another one now.

I now got a 1603 error now :confused:

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Try this then:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1275

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

16xx Errors are USB miscommunication or mismatch errors. Easy way out, reboot computer and try again or simply change computer.

6. OrangeSVTguy thread starter macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Same problems on another computer(PC). The seller did mention the iPhone was running OS3 and was Jailbroken/unlocked. Any chances those screwed up the software?

I don't need it unlocked/jailbroken since I use AT&T anyways. Anyway to reinstall the software on it by flashing? Flash it with an older/newer software? I'm searching as we speak so I'll see if I can find anything.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Hm..... I'm also wondering if it needs the internal battery for it to update/recover properly?

7. OrangeSVTguy thread starter macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Update:

I've been learning a lot so far. Downloaded all the stuff I needed and currently running redsn0w and jailbreaking/unlocking it.

It's Downloading the Jailbreak Data now and updating the Ramdisk. So far so good we'll see if this works :D.

update #2:
    Well everything seemed to install correctly but it still only starts up with the itunes and USB cable screen. I'm trying one last time to update it through iTunes....... and it failed again. I ordered another battery so I will know by the end of the week if having a battery installed will help do anything.

....Thinking I got screwed on this deal and bought a brick :mad:

8. F1rE macrumors newbie

I tryed for ONE MONTH to restore it i got the same error 1611...tryed to restore it on diferent computer ,mac ,DFU mode ,recovery mode,hard reset,all versions of iTunes ,all usb ports ,other data cable , can someone had this error and fixed it ???? pls i`ll apreciate it so much !

9. MrBrekke macrumors 6502

MrBrekke

possible solution

first let itunes install original firmware on the phone. don't worry it can be jail broken.

a other fix you should try first is to use redsn0w 7.2 it will work you need to give it 2-3 tries. and get firmware 3.0 at first. and you need a older version of itunes. 8.2 or older.

but first check if it really is a battery problem.
    Do this:

with your iPhone plugged in hold down both the power and home buttons until it turns off, release both buttons, now wait 5 sec. now press the power button for 2-3 sec. The battery indicator should now show up in your display as charging. if not just leave it for 10 min and try again. If it does not show as charging now you most likely need a new battery.

hope it helps

10. F1rE macrumors newbie

i tryed on man too and with itunes 8.2 it doesn`t recognize the iphone 3GS that is....only newer than 8.2 works any other solution ? :(

11. OrangeSVTguy thread starter macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Got another battery installed and still nothing. Still stuck on recovery mode :(. I've tried all versions of itunes on multiple computers and different OS versions as well as redsn0w with custom firmwares? Also I noticed that there was a little pink sticker on the back once I took the back cover off, I read online that is the water sensor? Guessing that this iphone got wet and it what killed the battery/charger and causing these problems?

Feeling really bummed right now :( Guess I'll be stuck using my LG Xenon from now on....

12. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    That does indicate contact with liquid. You might be out of luck. :(

13. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Yeah, you got water damage. Sounds like you got screwed by the seller on this.

14. OrangeSVTguy thread starter macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

This thing is a brick. Nothing that I do seems to get me anywhere. It won't boot no matter what I do and always fails when I try to update it with iTunes. It's not worth my time anymore.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. Just gonna sell it to try and get some of my money back.