iPhone Supersession PDF...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SFStateStudent, Jan 17, 2008.

1. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

2. island macrumors 6502

island

3. DMann macrumors 601

DMann

Looking forward to more of this!

4. GNice macrumors 6502

5. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

7. yayaba macrumors 6502

Wow is this an official Apple sanctioned presentation? Cause it talks about Jailbreak and stuff...

8. SFStateStudent thread starter macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

What an eye opening iPhone Supersession...

and yes, it was an Apple sanctioned presentation and I truly enjoyed attending and enjoyed sharing this with all of you. I got the O.K. from the presenters to share the information with MacRumors after their presentation. These guys kept me in stitches and I wanted to get in for Thursday's presentation, just to confirm that I had a great time! Their session on "jailbreak" and "unlock" was very informative and basically told the iPhone owners how "not" to destroy their iPhones or the warranty. They called 1.1.3, "one-one-three" and it sort of caught on, as I found myself sharing that phrase with other Macworld attendees today. Looking forward to next year's iPhone Supersession! :cool:

9. rstansby macrumors 6502

There are some great tips in there. I can't wait for the SDK so I can get the HP scientific calculator without jailbreaking.

Anyone figure out this point from the "text and typing section"?

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Having a smart list/group in Address Book containing just the email addresses and phone numbers in iPhone defeats the purpose of Google Maps. What if you need to go to someone's house and you don't know the address?

11. SFStateStudent thread starter macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

This provides the option of OTHER...

characters say for instance you want to use different language text, say Spanish, there are accent marks, upside down question marks, a e i o u and N have the marks or the little squiggly thing over the N as in MANANA. You just press and hold your finger over those letters and you'll see your options of other letters. :cool:

12. isoMorpheus Guest

Great for new comers of the iPhone,

not so much for people in here, (duh...)

13. rstansby macrumors 6502

I figured out that one, it's the one after that that I don't understand:
    I thought he was telling us a way to get back to the QWERTY screen from the ".?123" screen without using the "ABC" key.

I learned several things from the slides, and I know everything:D

Not only that they steer you away from .mac and towards gmail.

14. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Well it's written by the editors of Macworld (I think that's where I recognize the names from) and it's simply a presentation from the macworld expo (again, I'm assuming) and the expo is put together by Macworld, not apple.

15. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

I'm intrigued. Any way to view this on an iPhone?

16. SFStateStudent thread starter macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

You're right, I was a bit confused...

as well and I thought I would "see the light" but I think you are right when they may have been trying to direct us back to QWERTY screen w/o utilizing the ABC key. :cool:

17. brucku macrumors regular

a tip i have not seen anyone else using

Here's a tip for email management that I came up with to meet my needs.

My Needs: I can't handle all of my emails from my iphone. Some require me to use my MBP to send the person the correct files, some require me to use my MBP/Dreamweaver. Basically there are emails that appear in my inbox that are useless to me on the iphone, but very important on my MBP.

So I can not use the same IMAP inbox on both my iphone and MBP. If I did this, I'd have to see everything twice or move stuff to a special folder and then read inbox and that folder.

Another problem with NOT using the same account, is that I like my identity to be seamless. I'm not a fan of having a user/client/friend send me an email to my regular email, and receive a response from brucksiphone@gmail.com . This gets confusing and goes around some auto-spam code. And sometimes my response will accidentally go to spam.

If I use pop on the iphone, messages can get pulled to my MBP (which uses pop on purpose) and then they won't show up on the iphone if my MBP grabs them first.

My Solution: I manually set up my IMAP iphone settings with different incoming and outgoing user names. Incoming is somethingiphone@gmail.com but my outgoing is my main email address. This solves all my problems, including placing a nice copy of everything I send into my gmail interface for later use. I can even switch my MBP to IMAP and have my sent items go right in with my other emails created from my MBP and webmail.

Maybe this solution will help someone. I also removed the signature "sent from my iphone" so that users have no idea if i'm at my desk, on the road, at a concert - etc. Just that i'm available and I responded to their email.

~ Bruck

18. alFR macrumors 68020

He was. Press .?123, don't lift your finger from the screen, slide over to whichever symbol you want, lift your finger and the symbol will insert and you'll be back at the ABC keyboard.

19. SFStateStudent thread starter macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yep, just tried...

it. Thanks! :cool:

20. Hello? Hello? macrumors newbie

Hello? Hello?

Hi, I have been reading macrumors for about two years and I finally registered, I love this website. I just wanted to say hi. :)

21. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

I can't believe how muck I learnt for that presentation!

22. Accident macrumors newbie

One suggestion to add

There are some good tips on that PDF, but a couple of the Advanced options in the Mail Settings menu were missed (probably just to save time and avoid complications).

If you are manually setting up a Gmail account using IMAP, you end up with an awkward folder structure with a top-level folder called "[Gmail]". You can remove this unnecessary parent folder by adding "[Gmail]" - without the quotes but with the square brackets - to the IMAP path prefix setting:
    Settings>Mail>(select your account)>Advanced>Incoming Settings ...
    IMAP Path Prefix [Gmail]

This also works in Mail.app on the desktop.

Then, still in the Advanced menu for that particular email account on the iPhone/iPod, you can reassign the Gmail folders for Sent Messages and Deleted Mail to make use of the paper plane "Sent Mail" icon and the "Trash" icon:
    Settings>Mail>(select your account)>Advanced>Mailbox Behaviours ...
    Sent Messages > Sent Mail
    Deleted Messages > Trash

Thankfully, with 1.1.3, this is no longer necessary if you choose to choose the Gmail option when you set up a new account, as it automatically sets up an IMAP account using the settings I have described above.
    In previous versions of the iPhone/iPod touch software, the Gmail option only set up POP accounts and IMAP accounts had to be set up manually.

23. Accident macrumors newbie

Mobile Safari

The presentation suggests creating an iPhone-specific bookmarks folder in Safari and the example calls it "For the iPhone" (p22).

I found it useful having a folder like this for sites that have created versions specifically for Apple mobile devices and for web apps.

A better name for this folder may be "Mobile Safari", after all, that's what the application is called, and then it isn't tied to one device.

24. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

Maybe try emailing it to yourself. I think the Mail program on the iPhone can read PDFs. I'm trying it that way.