iPhone switches from 3G to Edge even if 3G is available

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Harpy007, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Harpy007 macrumors regular

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone can help me with this problem: Recently, I realised that when I unlock my iphone at work (inside) to check out Safari, the Edge icon is on. The problem is, my coworker also has an iPhone with the same carrier and he has full bars with 3G. I found out that if I go to settings, turn 3G ON and OFF twice, it will eventually show the 3G icon.

I wanted to know if anyone else is having similiar problems? Is there any way to fix it or do I have a defective phone?

Thanks for your input!

2. SilentLoner macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

Probably Cell breathing?

3. Harpy007 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah that makes sense but why is it only doing that on my phone and why won't it go back to 3G after a while? I have to manually turn 3G on and off so it kicks back in. Any ideas? :confused:

4. ninethirty macrumors 6502a

I've noticed this at my work as well, and sometimes at home between my phone and my gf's phone. Do you live in Chicago? Because it's a known issue to AT&T already...

5. Harpy007 thread starter macrumors regular

No I live in Montreal and I'm with Fido but at least it's good to know that I'm not the only one with this problem. Thanks for your reply!

6. manhattanmania macrumors regular

happens to me too all the time and it's really, really annoying. i'm in NYC w/ 3G coverage basically everywhere yet so many times i look and the phone is on edge, until i turn 3G off and on, and then it picks up the 3G signal.

7. iGary Guest

iGary

Relies on the strength of the 3G signal; if the phone thinks EDGE is a better bet, then it will switch bands.

8. manhattanmania macrumors regular

i dont think so. i mean, i know the iphone is supposed to do this, but thats not what this problem is. when this happens to me and i turn 3G off and on as others do, there is always full 3G signal available even though it was only showing edge. it's a bug.

9. Ori macrumors 6502

Well,
    My phone just keeps dropping service. It goes from 3g to egde to gprs to nothing then back onto service. It is killing me. Calls straight to voicemail etc.... its not just me either!!! My friends Iphone does exactly the same thing. Reaching the point of considering returning the phone and cancelling my contract.

10. Harpy007 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes exactly, when 3G is finally back on, full signal, I hope it's a bug and it will be fix soon.

Ori, where are located? Did you see any changes with 2.0.1?

11. Ori macrumors 6502

also, if you do a network search.......which takes forever it shows up all the networks including 3G. i was sure that 3G is the default......just odd.
    I pray that network selection is fixed with the next update.

12. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Just curious how your doing the network search. Are you going into engineering mode?

13. Ori macrumors 6502

Settings > carrier and it starts a search.
    I have just selected O2 0 UK (3G) as my carrier it switched straight to Edge after a few seconds, but fingers crossed this might improve my network selection.

14. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Ahh that option's not available in the US.

15. manhattanboy macrumors 6502a

manhattanboy

this happened to me after I updated to the d*mn 2.01 update.

You cannot downgrade because apple changed the modem file and downgrading does not re-change to modem file unfortunately.

All we can do is be pissed off and pray that 2.1 comes out ASAP and corrects this issue!!!!!

16. ninethirty macrumors 6502a

Agreed. I updated to 2.01 earlier this week and the same thing happened to me, then I had to have the phone replaced by Apple due to other issues and I was given a 2.0 replacement. I'm 3G all the time now and there's no hope in hell of me upgrading until I know this isn't an issue.

17. Harpy007 thread starter macrumors regular

So can we confirm that this Edge/3G problem is only in 2.0.1?? I don't remember having this issue in 2.0.0....

18. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

It's happened to me a few times too. Next time it happens I'm going to do a speed test...I can't help but think maybe it's just showing the wrong icon and really is still using 3G.

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The phone is probably tweaked for best signal, rather than fastest speeds. Of course I'll doubt they will ever have an option that says '3G Only'

20. applehappy macrumors regular

Seeing this in Honolulu as well. At times, I am locked on 3G and it shows one bar signal, other times it is stuck on Edge and when I toggle the 3g on/off it goes to 3G with full bars. Didn't happen with 2.0, but happens regularly with 2.0.1.

21. Ori macrumors 6502

Well I am in the UK...London actually so should have full 3G service pretty much everywhere.

I am fustrated as after manually selecting 3G it does seem to hold 3G more often than not. However I can go from full bars to no bars (still with service) without actually moving the phone. Also since selecting 3G network from the settings menu rather than auto I seem to have reduced my dropped calls (usually while dialing) from 10 a day to 0.
    Downside is that I do get an error message saying your preferred network was lost, but it goes away if it finds 3g again.

Weird and infuriating. I think Apple really need to get their **** together on this one as this is a very important part of the iphone.

Ps. 3G rarely works indoors for me. :(

22. jpatton macrumors newbie

same in 2.0

Having same problem here in S.F. I have seen the 3G icon once for about 2 seconds. Ready to take this thing back and go back to my old iPhone. What's the point of having 3G and paying for it if its not available in a major city like San Francisco?

23. manhattanboy macrumors 6502a

manhattanboy

Again this is SOLELY a problem with the D*MN 2.01 UPDATE.

If you are lucky enough to have the 2.00 version then it is a non-issue.

Apple seems to have f*cked us in not allowing you to go back down to 2.00
    :mad::(

24. jpatton macrumors newbie

still in 2.0.0

I AM in 2.0.0 and it definitely an issue. I can't stay in 3G for more than a few seconds and it immediately goes back into Edge. I spoke to one totally clueless AT&T rep and she said that 3G is essentially just Edge. But a faster Edge. This is what we are dealing with here. Some ATT reps don't even know what 3G is.

25. manhattanboy macrumors 6502a

manhattanboy

LOL, God help us all