iPhone Tethering "Data Connect" Package 5gb $60

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Starflyer, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Starflyer macrumors 6502a

Starflyer

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A274b Safari/6531.22.7)

Just talked to my att rep and she says they will also be offering a "Data Connect" package at 5gb for $60. Has anyone else heard this?

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

They’ve always had the Data Connect package, but it’s never been for the iPhone. It sounds kind of pricey too me, if it’s even true. BTW, the 5 GB cap is the source of many thinking the iPhone’s unlimited package has a cap, which it does not.

3. tuna macrumors 6502

No but it would make sense. They currently offer that exact plan.

http://www.wireless.att.com/businesscenter/popup/dataconnect-comp-table.jsp

4. tac22 macrumors 6502

hmm... i did here from two different reps that there may be a special plan announced along side the new iphone. they said it slyly as they can't say anything about it. but i sure hope its cheaper than that.... then again right now the tether will be the $25 plus the stupid $20 to allow tethering for the same 2gb... so i guess $60 for 5 is better than 45$ for 2 or with overage 75$ for 5gb.

5. sarcosis macrumors 6502a

I'm hoping that they have better plans for the iPhone launch. The $20 + 25 for the 2 GB is absurd right now. It's pretty far off what Verizon is offering for the HTC Incredible. Verizon has $30 for unlimited phone usage and $30 for tethering and you get 5 GB for that. Not exactly the cheapest option, but i would rather pay that than what AT&T is offering. But i would rather get an iPhone than the Incredible so i'm sticking with AT&T.

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

That 'Data Connect' package is for Laptop Connect cards only... or in other words, people with HSDPA USB modems for laptops, not for smartphones.

7. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

It would be cool if the 4g got some kind of special plans.... but I don't see it happening.

8. AMcBroom81 macrumors regular

AMcBroom81

I think AT&T should charge the $25 for the 2GB cap, and for the people who want a separate option for tethering make the $20 plan for unlimited tethering.

9. tuna macrumors 6502

Not at all

http://www.wireless.att.com/businesscenter/popup/dataconnect-comp-table.jsp

"Smartphone Enterprise plus Tethering add-on"

"Smartphone Personal plus Tethering"

Both are $60/month and include 5GB and tethering.

Won't happen because it doesn't make sense. Tethering is where people can really rack up the usage. Its much "harder" to consume data on your iPhone than Laptop. If anything, they would have done unlimited on the iPhone and then add $X for XGB tethering. Which is what Verizon does ($30/month for unlimited smartphone data, plus $30 to add 5GB of tethering). But that model doesn't really work either because a few percent of people are going to hack their phone, not pay for the tethering / tethering data, and use the unlimited data to tether.