iPhone tethering supported by Rogers

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hNicolas, Jun 8, 2009.

1. hNicolas macrumors 6502

hNicolas

According to Rogers (Canada), iPhone tethering will be permitted on accounts with 1GB+ data packages at no extra charge!

2. C0die macrumors newbie

This better be true, I pay over $120.00 CAD a month for my rogers plan, and that only includes 2 gigs of data -.-

I better be getting MMS as part of my 5 or my 10 000 other texts.

3. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

Can anyone else confirm this? I'll give them a call later and ask. I've got the 6gb data plan so I hope I can do this!

4. hNicolas thread starter macrumors 6502

hNicolas

Yes, any good news from Rogers is hard to believe. But it's true.:)

5. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

haha well said.

6. cere macrumors 6502

This is good, but I think the limitation of it applying only to 1GB+ plans is new. I looked at the ToS a few months ago and all data plans (except the WAP-mobile browser plans) explicitly included tethering, including the 500MB plan. Fido's site still mentions tethering for all plans, with no exclusion of the 500MB plan (expand Terms & Conditions link at bottom of the page). I know Roger's was identical back in March.

So, while it is definitely good that Rogers will still allow tethering, their new policy is actually a step backwards for customers, as you need to get a 1GB plan to be eligible. I wonder if the people that signed up for 500MB prior to today will keep their tethering privileges.

7. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

Nice... hopefully at+t does the same for no additional charge. That would be one less reason to jailbreak the iphone

8. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

Not that I wish this for anyone on ATT, but it would be nice if Rogers did something BETTER than ATT (or any GSM/CDMA cell company) as opposed to just matching it (at best).

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

The odds are in your favor, I'd guess!

10. CalmEnvy macrumors 6502

I'm just hoping the rumors of Fido not carrying the iPhone are wrong. Since I'd rather go with Fido then Rogers even though Rogers owns them lol. If the iPhone is only available on Rogers then I won't be getting one.

11. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

Fido carries it now though, why would that change?

12. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Seriously man.

I'll be pretty pissed off (but not at all surprised) if we don't get MMS included in our crazy phone bills.

13. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

somehow i feel that At&t will likely bend us over for tethering....and probably for MMS too..

its just rediculous..considering we pay a premium for unlimited data.

maybe if they offer the lower limited data plan...we'll get tethering on the $30 plan..

we can hope...but im not exactly optimistic with att...

14. cere macrumors 6502

Because of their decision to take the Fido brand further down market. The iPhone is the only 'premium' handset they carry now, so getting rid of it might make sense to someone in HQ. To me it would make no sense and would only serve to piss of their customers that want a new iPhone. To make their existing customer jump through hoops and switch to Rogers to get an iPhone will only piss the customers off. Many Fido staff on other forums seem pretty sure that Fido is going to drop it for the next iteration.

15. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I've heard similar things. Not sure if it's true or not, though.

If true though - what is to become of us current iPhone toting fido customers?

16. cere macrumors 6502

We keep using our 3G or gen1 iPhones if we stick with Fido. If you want a newer model, switch to Rogers (and lose credits, long term customer goodwill etc) or buy on Craigslist etc. I will likely just wait until the next rev anyway, but it will be interesting to see what happens today.

17. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Are you on Fido? What plan do you have?

18. CalmEnvy macrumors 6502

Not to mention recent commercials only show Rogers at the end and Fido is not on there anymore. If it's Rogers only, I probably will never get an iPhone unless there's a huge, huge change in there plans.

19. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

Chalk that up to not having cable and seeing commercials. That would be unfortunate if they stopped carrying it though. Just to throw something out there, say the rumor of a cheap iPhone is true (or the cheap iPhone is actually the current 3G just dropped in price) maybe they will continue to carry that but not the new handset.

20. CalmEnvy macrumors 6502

That would really suck if they only carried the old one and not the new one considering Fido>>>>>>Rogers.

21. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

As an FYI, at the keynote they mentioned MMS supported by certain carriers right at launch and Rogers WAS on the keynote slide.. then said tethering would be supported by certain carriers at launch and rogers WAS on the slide... AT&T absent from both.. ouch.

22. Pandora01 macrumors regular

Whoa, for once Canadian customers don't get the shaft!

23. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

Now I can actually get some decent usage out of the 6gb plan I bought on release day, I don't think I've used up half of that in total since I've had the phone.

24. cpnotebook80 macrumors 6502a

I got something as text on rogers saying that mms will be added for 5$ more on your value pack for unlimited or so. I think.

25. cpnotebook80 macrumors 6502a

so when the 3.0 software comes out, we can go right ahead and use tethering?I have the 6gb plan.