iPhone: The little things...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by drarrex7, Feb 12, 2011.

1. drarrex7 macrumors newbie

In my opinion, it's a combination of a bunch of little things that make the iPhone, and iOS in general, such a good user experience. What are your favorite little things about the iPhone (or iOS) that you've noticed?

I'll start. I love how it handles incoming calls while listening to music. Especially when you are using the provided headphones. The music fades out, the phone rings, you click the headphones to answer and just start talking. When the call ends, you hear a little tone signaling that the call has ended, and the music fades back in. You don't even have to press anything. I'm not sure how Android handles this situation, but I can't imagine it would be any smoother than that.

2. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Since I have an android in general my favorite general thing is that iOS is much much much much more polished. Yes you can do more with android such as customization etc but iOS is just a way more polished OS. I'll take polish.

3. mightygitis macrumors 6502

mightygitis

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

Copy and past would have to be one of my favorite features of iOS. Being able to drag the blue dots around to select as little or as much as I want is easy and intuitive.

Then there is also security. My phone auto-locks after a minute of no use but doesn't set the password for a while longer. So that I'm not putting my password in constantly when using the phone a lot, but will require password if left unattended for a while.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

One of Apple's major strengths is their attention to detail.

For me, one of the best functions in iOS is copy and paste. I've been using an android based phone for a bit a of time, now and while it has copy and paste. Its implementation is awful. Maybe for those who weren't coming from iOS wouldn't think so, but since I have. I see how it can be right and how android does it.

In android, you can copy cut/cop editable text, which by the way does NOT include emails, so if I receive an email I cannot copy anything from there. Dragging the little blue dots to define the selection block is another stroke of genius on apple's part.

5. shadrap macrumors 6502

6. cootersgarage6, Feb 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2011

yueahp, it's true. It's all the little things that make the iPhone. They all add up. And yes, it's also the easy to use, and original interface. Apple is really good at that. And I agree with the other person, iOS is more slick and polished than android. It's a lot better interface, easy to use, and everything is done FOR you. on Android, everything is sloppy, easy to lose, you get no support, and there's nothing really to it. Android phones are just POWERHOUSES. They are REALLY powerful when you upgrade them.

7. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

I feel the same way about copy and paste. It, and the Netflix app, are honestly what keep me coming back to my iPhone 4. I love everything else about Android, but the copy and paste implementation on iOS is just perfect. Like you, I'm not sure I'd miss it if I had never experienced iOS, but having done so, Androids implementation is awful. The new verison in Android 2.3 is much, much better, but there haven't been any released 2.3 upgrades for any of my Android phones (Samsung Captivate, Droid 2 Global, or Nexus One).

8. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

9. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

I hate how it handles notifications. The notification system on iOS dates back to pre 2007.

10. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I like the threads where people are talking about things they like on the phone and someone comes in to say what they hate. More than enough threads about that already.

11. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

I also don't like the fact that you have to double tap the home button, long press on an app you want closed and then close it. It's the little things like that annoy the **** out of me. *thumbs down*

12. mightygitis macrumors 6502

mightygitis

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

Oh go buy a Droid and leave us alone.

I also like that the touch screen is more responsive than any touchscreen on any other phone. They try that haptics touch crap on over phones to make you feel when you click, but that's just to distract from the fact that most of the time it doesn't click at all. You'll be tapping the same icon on a Droid phone five times before it registers it.

Apple has the best touch screen in the business.

13. JASApplications macrumors 65816

Everything about iOS is fantastic. And no I'm not a fanboy, I'm stating a fact.

14. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

Fanboy much?

15. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

I love the fact that Apple has one button on the front of the screen and the phone is operated by one of the best touch screens ive ever used

16. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

I'm a little annoyed about that too, but I love the non-battery-draining multitasking too much to complain about such issues. On my old Nokia N70, the Contacts and Log apps would stay in the background if I didn't remember to close them after having made a call - and the battery would get empty on half the time.

17. Pgohlke macrumors 6502

I like how Apple has created a platform where you can play angry birds, surf the web easily, and actually call people.

18. mightygitis macrumors 6502

mightygitis

You busted me, I'm a fan of message board ettiquette. When the original poster on a thread asks for positivity and you bring negativity it is rude. Especially where there are enough threads I'll of people complaining that you could go join.

19. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

On my jailbroken i4 I have a toggle that closes every open app. I swipe a finger across the status bar and tap removeBG.

Jailbreaking my iPhone 4 was the best thing I ever did with it. The features I've added to my phone are superb, and really make a great phone even better.

20. Wheezie macrumors member

I agree with you 100% except I don't have an android but spent enough time with one. One thing that was pointed out to me which can have an effect on this is that the manufacturers that use the android can tweak the interface so no 2 manufacturers are alike. Microsoft went through this back on Mobile 5.

One of the huge upsides to iOS is it's the same on each phone, the downside is you can't customize as much as I would like. But it's stable and that says a lot.

21. Wheezie macrumors member

The fact that you can't customize the homes screen to put a a calendar on it is fantastic? That you can't put the weather or unread SMS or emails on it is fantastic?

and before you paint me a hater, my wife has a 3GS and I have a 4. It's very good but still leaves a lot to be desired.

22. JASApplications macrumors 65816

So you would say Android or Blackberry is better?

23. Reddmanz macrumors regular

All these are on my home screen in my opinion. I like that each app has is own place and I don't find it much bother to wait a whole 1-2 seconds to open them.

24. seajay96 macrumors 6502

As opposed to long pressing the home button, switching to the task manager app, opening it, waiting 1-2 seconds for it to load, finding the app you want to close, clicking on it, then long pressing the home button to switch back to whatever app you were in before? Sorry, but that just annoys the **** out of me.

Or, you've loaded a 3rd party app that lets you quickly kill apps, but how is that any different than the jailbreaking solutions?