iPhone to Droid and Back

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gigapocket1, Apr 11, 2011.

1. gigapocket1 macrumors 6502a

I've been an iPhone user since day 1.. I've switched from it and always came back to it during the 2G and 3G days.. But every since the 3GS came out, i havent tried a different phone.. On friday, i decided to trade out my iPhone 4 for the atrix.

Within the 30 minute drive home.. The phone froze twice.. Not a good sign.. But i gave it the benefit of the doubt. it was downloading my Gmail contacts and google maps for offline use.. So after all that finished. i download a couple of apps.. Handscent, task killer. etc.. Handscent sucks.. doesnt compare to bitesms.. but its ok.. task killer fixed the crashing issue..
    But friday night. I went in to add a contact. And it said something about "account couldnt be verified"..after googling.. only option i had was to do a hard reset.. So i had to redo EVERYTHING! which sucked.

Saturday and Sunday i was traveling.. Worst experience ever with this phone.. People say that the iPhone 4 has problems holding signal. I make this drive about 2 times a month.. I've never dropped more calls in my life. Every 10 minutes, literally the call was dropped. To make it worst, it lost connection entirely. AT&T would disappear from the top.. Horrible..

Android is cool.. i have to admit.. widgets arent as big of a deal as people made it seem.. The notification for android is also ok.. i had few gripes with it.. I hate the fact that if i open facebook. The notification bar still says that i have an unread notification.. Small but huge at the same time..

What i really missed about the iphone is that its way smoother and more polished than android. Which is what alot of people have said..

The finger print scanner is cool.. i dont like the fact that you cant set a lock time..if i like the phone. and 5 secs later i want to get back in. i have to re enter the pattern or swype my finger.. both which is pain.. atleast give me the option to change it..

Overall. Android is cool.. I just dont recommend it for iPhone users. If you never had an iPhone then you will like the droid. i talked to the lady at AT&T. she said that 90% of iphone users who switch phones, switch bak to the iphone.

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I would give the Inspire a try. I think its much better than the Atrix.

3. iPhone Addict macrumors 6502

What was one feature you LOVED about android that you wish iOS or the iPhone itself had in it?

4. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

i am part of that 90%. i thought having work pay for the service was a great idea (on a droid).

not so much.

5. gigapocket1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Their wasn't one feature really.. I did like the fingerprint scanner.. but that was individual to the phone...
    The browser sucked...
    I guess i liked the ability that i could download a new keyboard...

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

To be honest, I love how android gives a notification for every single thing .. like being in a WiFi zone, or having a completely charged battery XD

7. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Sounds like you got a dud.

I've had none of those issues with my Atrix.
    Part of the issue is the MotoBlur integration with Android. It's less than stellar.
    I've removed about 95% of it from my phone for a more pure Android experience.
    I kept the Blur account though because it does back up all of your account settings in one place.
    Real easy to restore should you mess up your phone while "playing" with it.

I agree, the stock messaging app sucks. GoSMS Pro is perfect.
    Fully customizable notifications and you can also tweak the MMS settings to retain better image quality, but the default config really works great.

As for the 90% comment, I'd like to see hard numbers on that before I believed some rep.
    Every iPhone owner I know that has switched has stayed with Android.
    All of us like to tweak our phones, so we may not be the typical iPhone crowd.
    I dig the flexibility I have with Android that simply doesn't exist in iOS.

8. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

9. gigapocket1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Maybe i did have a bad phone.. but i just could not get used to how non fluid the OS was..
    Also i have to believe her about the 90% of iphone users switch back.. Did you know that everybody at AT&T can use any phone that they want.. and get it for free. Except for the iPhone and all the services aren't included on their free account. yet just about every At&t rep uses the iPhone.

10. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

The last two corporate stores I've been in, only one rep had an iPhone 4.
    The rest had either the Focus or the Atrix. Ok, one guy had the HTC Surround.
    Again, I believe what I see with my own eyes, not what someone tells me. ;)

As for MotoBlur, yeah, it's not great and it breaks from the true nature of Android.
    This is why I hate it when manufacturers overlay a perfectly good and fast OS with their own front end.
    HTC Sense is pretty, but a memory pig.
    Samsung's TouchWiz II is just plain fugly and MotoBlur is a resource hog that fails o tie all the pieces together.

Good thing is, you can remove pretty much all of it.

11. brholton macrumors member

I did the same exact thing. Two fridays ago I picked up an Atrix, and by the next Tuesday, I had returned it for an iPhone 4 again. Also had ever other iPhone that has come out.