Iphone to move to Verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zFrenchy, Jul 8, 2009.

1. zFrenchy macrumors member

I have been a loyal verizon subscriber for the last 6+ years. I am addicted to technology and for some reason stuck with verizon thinking "oh something better than the iphone or a contender will pop its head out anytime now". Of course i was wrong.

With all this hype of the Iphone that i have had to live with stuck as a verizon customer, i have decided to switch carriers.

Now here is my dilemma.... I have heard rumors and reports of Apples contract with at&t will be expiring shortly and of their recent meetings with Verizon's CEO. This is daunting to say the least. Lets say i switch from verizon to at&t to get the 3GS and a year later verizon is the excusive carrier of the iphone.... well that skrewed me over because now new iphones will be exclusive to verizon carriers and at&t is stuck with the 3GS (or last iphone before Apple leaves them). Of course this could be a scare tactic on Apples behalf to get at&t to give Apple what they want so they stay with at&t's carrier.

This is not what i want to happen to me because i am very content with verizons service and have had no qualms wit them.

What are your thoughts or advice in this topic?

2. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

If only it were so...:rolleyes::(

I have been dreeming of the day for a while now. as u might be able to tell...

<---

And this topic has been beaten to death. i wouldnt be surprised if this thread was merged or closed.

3. pavelbure macrumors 6502a

when they switch to verizon there will be no more exclusivity.

4. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

No iPhone on Verizion in the next 3 years for the 1,000 time.

Get the 3GS, by the time your 2 year contract is up, we will know more.

5. oakiegu007 macrumors member

change your thread title. it's extremely misleading. think.

6. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Common thought is that the exclusive is until at least next summer.

If you'd rather not move carriers in the meantime...

The Touch Pro 2 and/or Omnia II are rumored to be coming to Verizon by August.

(And of course the Palm Pre early next year. Too bad Verizon hasn't also picked up on Android.)

7. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

As I mentioned in another thread today, I too waited for a while before leaving an 8 year relationship with Verizon because I was so 'sure' that Verizon's network was better. In short, I'm sorry I waited. The iphone is so much better than any other smartphone I've ever used, and AT&T's network in the NE for me, has been as good if not often better than Verizon's was. I haven't had even a moment's regret for switching.

8. zFrenchy thread starter macrumors member

Yah i can always do that, but i'm growing wary of iphone beaters (got the LG Dare.... god i hate that piece if ****). Nothing seems to stick and the community behind the iphone is the driving force that keeps it updated and safe from most competitors. Not only that but it is becoming a semi-gaming console and the mac compatibility kinda sells me.

though i got to admit the front facing camera on the Omnia is wicked. The future of talking is Video Chat.

9. iArrudaG macrumors regular

iArrudaG

iPhone*

10. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

if the iPhone moves to Verizon, there won't be exclusivity, both because of the chance that exclusivity is going to be banned, and because Apple would have to be idiots to screw all their millions of customers (leaving them stuck in a contract with no way out to get the verizon iPhone except paying the ETF)

also, I doubt that Apple will make a CDMA iPhone, I just really dont see it happen. I believe the iPhone WILL come to verizon, but only once their LTE (4G) network is large enough to be used without CDMA backup (so not for quite some time)

11. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Meh, I disagree. I think video chat on a phone would be a novelty that quickly wears thin. I travel a lot and use Skype as my primary communication mechanism and while video is great SOMETIMES, for 98% of my conversations I've found that people would prefer not to be looking at each other. My .02... :)

12. CDutch macrumors regular

I'm looking forward to the end of the exclusive agreement with AT&T. Not that I have a problem with AT&T though. Personally, I like AT&T because I get service in an area of Northern Michigan where I wouldn't with Verizon. That said, from everything I've read, the iPhone is insanely demanding on AT&T's network despite all the work they've done to improve network capacity. The potential of the iPhone being available on two networks should significantly improve overall speeds for everyone simply because network demands to the individual carriers won't be as great.

13. thetexan macrumors 6502a

Why do people keep saying it won't happen until LTE? Almost every phone out there has a GSM and a CMDA counterpart, how come it'd be such a daunting task for Apple to produce a CDMA iPhone? I'll answer my own question, it wouldn't be at all.

14. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Yah, cause when people can see you, you should have at least some clothes on. :eek:

15. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

I still don't get why apple would want to change all the insides of the iPhone to accommodate verizon? Apple would have to keep making two different types of iPhones which is probably not that big of a problem but would be a little too much. I see it with tmobile first.

16. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I'll fix the answer to your question: They don't give a crap and it screws with their profits, so no, they wouldn't make a CDMA phone.

LTE is the only way to have a Verizon iPhone.

/thread

17. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

I sure wish I'd had video calling years ago when I was dating or overseas in the military. Nowadays, we use it constantly to see family and grandkids and friends all around the world. I'd love it on vacation, too.

That said, I doubt seriously that any US version would have a front camera.

18. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Sure, I'm sure it will have novelty value that I'd use on occasion. (Watch this!!) I just can't imagine wanting to have an average conversation while holding the phone in front of me. If I'm going to have to sit down I'd probably just use Skype on my laptop with much better quality.

19. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Apple has already changed the insides of the iPhone twice now since first launch, including adding a WCDMA radio. So you're right, it's not a tech challenge.

Historically, iPhone sales peak with each new model debut, and then quickly decline. I think sometime next Spring we could see a point where, for example, total Pre sales
    move ahead of total 3GS sales in the USA, since Pre will be on Verizon and ATT by then.

Sooner or later, Apple is going to have to pay attention to this. Without a Verizon-Sprint version, Palm, RIM, Samsung, LG and HTC will continue to enjoy having almost 2/3 of the lucrative US market without any direct Apple competition.

The earliest chance for an LTE-only phone would be with full Verizon rollout, something like early 2014. That's a long time from now, marketwise. But, Apple is Apple. Who knows why they do or don't do something. :)

20. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Well, for the 5,555 time in a thread of this nature, my answer remains the same; oh crap, I forgot my standard answer.....:p:p:p

21. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

They don't give a crap? You do know they went to Verizon FIRST with the concept of the iPhone.

How will it screw with their profits? Opening up the iPhone to the largest cell carrier in the US? Yea, that seems like an AWFUL business move.:rolleyes:

RIM and PALM have been doing it for years. There are tons of Blackberries available for both GSM and CDMA carriers. If it's that easy for RIM to do it, Apple should have no trouble.

The only that prevented Apple from releasing the iPhone on Verizon, was Verizon's need to brand it with their sticker, and their demand to use VCast instead of iTunes. If Verizon and Apple can sort those out, then we'll have an iPhone on Verizon next year.:D

22. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

I wonder if, back in the day, the typical telephone's had the same kind of comments made about them "I just can't imagine wanting to have an average conversation while holding this piece of metal to my face" or "If I'm going to have to sit down I'd probably just talk to the person face-to-face with much better quality" :)

just something i thought was funny in my head

23. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

Very true. I really don't mind if it does go to any other carrier. It would be better on my side if it does because it would make ATT maybe change their rates to keep up with other carriers that might be less. Just like I wished the Pre really was an iPhone killer because it would make apple work that much harder to make the iPhone better.

24. robdam1001 macrumors 6502a

[​IMG] VERY poor choice of words for your thread title.

25. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Exactly. If you don't know it's iPhone instead of Iphone.. you don't deserve it. Go buy a Pre... :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: