Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
Meh. Lame update. This was already old tech in 2011. Epic fail. Steve never would have approved this. Apple is doomed. I'm switching to the Windows world.

Oh wait -- I think I'm trolling the wrong thread.

Never mind.

Jensen G

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2009
Looking at the screen caps on the original iPhone, it's amazing that the interface has hardly changed at all.

I think this is testament to how much Apple got right with their initial design. We still have the same phone, music, and (basically) home screens, not to mention the hardware design (screen size, types and locations of buttons) are the same as well.

iScott428

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Orlando, FL
My original 1st Gen still in the wild, as an iPod touch at this point.
3Gs is back in-service for my brothers company.
And well I just freaking love my 4s.

Benguitar

Jan 30, 2009
I've owned an 8GB first generation, 16GB 3G, 16GB 4 and currently a 16GB 4S.

They are great products that have certainly improved my workflow and simplified my lifestyle. I'm glad to give Apple my business. :)

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
It's been crazy.

I've gone from believing the iPhone is a POS to now upgrading every year and craving for the next one.

UnfetteredMind

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
Happy Birthday iPhone!

Nice work Apple!

My first was the 3G and my wife is now using it. It's slow with iOS 4, but it still works. My brother got the original iPhone and it still works (although he has since moved onto a 4S). My current is an iPhone 4 and I'm waiting to see what the next iteration brings. I would like to upgrade and pass the iPhone 4 down to the wife. It would be nice to finally gain some of the features between us (Find Friends, Messages, etc). Of course, she would still not be able to use turn-by-turn it looks like (with the iPhone 4) :(

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
The original iPhone really was a game-changer. Although the new features we get each year seem mundane in comparison, they are still bigger changes than we would previously see in most years for all phones put together.

SAIRUS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
I loved the design of the original. If someone could upgrade the internals and display, I'd stick to edge and use it on international travels.

Starship77

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2006
Just think at its current rate Android (900k+ a day) sells more in 1 year than iphone has in 5 years. Well done Google.

Android is not a PHONE, is an operating system…

Tell me... Which PHONE has being doing better than the iPhone right now? or ever? :confused:

Edit:
You now, they've been trying to release an "iPhone Killer" since the first day the iPhone was announced. With any software, Android, Windows or whatever… It just never happened…

You can't buy an "Android", you can only buy a Phone that uses it, you have to choose one. So, it doesn't really matter how much they sell all together, you're not buying ALL of them, are you?

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
And it changed the game!

Only in USA and maybe Europe. I see in my neighbourhood more Nokia Ashas and chinese TV-Phones than multitask phones.

Oh, wait... iPhone 1 wasn't multitask but older Symbian-based phones was. It was innovative in marketing, perhaps.

forgotmyhandle

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2012
Earth
Five Years

Five years on, touch screen phones are wildly popular; thousands of people are developing thousands of mobile applications; carriers are improving networks to handle applications/features available on popular phones. All things popularized by the original iPhone.

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
What impressive figures. I'm sure that every day Steve Ballmer regrets his pessimism with the original iPhone - and regrets not taking it seriously enough.

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
I've never seen anything become as popular as the iPhone! Got my first when it came out on O2 in the UK, had each one since. Moms got one, Dads got one!
6/7 people at my workplace have one, oldest is 55! - I live in rural England too!

-- Funny how it's changed, but still looks the same.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1934.jpg
    IMG_1934.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

macnerd93

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2009
United Kingdom
Android fans can deny it as much as they want, but the simple fact of the matter is, Android wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for the iPhone. If Apple hadn't released the iPhone/iPad etc. we wouldn't be very much further on in terms of mobile phone tech development than in 2007. It certainty wouldn't be a market developers could make a decent living off, without mass OS support.

I can imagine that the phone market without iPhone would be be like an array of confusion with every manufacturer trying to push their OS as the one to use, (of which their phones are all lacking touch displays and have horrible plastic keyboards)

Maybe it happened in a parallel universe xD.

Starship77

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2006
Only in USA and maybe Europe. I see in my neighbourhood more Nokia Ashas and chinese TV-Phones than multitask phones.

Oh, wait... iPhone 1 wasn't multitask but older Symbian-based phones was. It was innovative in marketing, perhaps.

Yeah, that "Marketing" excuse again… You know, if marketing alone was powerful enough to make 150 BILLION out of any crap, nobody would be doing anything else in the world! Only "Marketing"! After all, it gives you money out of "nothing", right? :D

It doesn't matter how good your marketing is if you have a crappy product… But having a Kick-Ass product and not putting good marketing on it, would be just plain stupid...

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
And it is getting a bit old!

Apple needs to step up the game, LTE ALREADY! You have it in the iPad, like that is almost useful.

Let some customizations happen!

I like Apple, but loosen up, not everyone wants it to be like "1984"!

Apple didn't you have a commercial to say "Think different", hmmm we are all marching to the same tune now with no personalization or personality!

The iPhone's problem is not lack of customization. It's already as customizable as it needs to be. It just lacks LTE, which I don't care about, but others do.

----------

Does anyone still have the original iPhone? Does it still work?

I have one, and it works (but without a SIM card).

DrMotownMac

Contributor
Jul 11, 2008
Michigan
Happy birthday, iPhone.

The 1st gen is heading off to kindergarten this fall. They grow up so fast. :sniff:

The funny thing is that my first child was born one month before the iPhone was released (May 2007) and she IS heading off to kindergarten this fall! I always tell her that there was no such thing as iPhones before she was born, and she laughs at that!! Like I'm telling her there was no such thing as television before her grandfather was born (which she and I both find funny).

Decades from now, she'll tell her children and grandchildren that she was born a month before the iPhone came out, and they'll say, "Wow, you're OLD!"

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
Just think at its current rate Android (900k+ a day) sells more in 1 year than iphone has in 5 years. Well done Google.

Yawn. It's hilarious that, even with ALL those units, Apple's device produces more revenue for Apple than everything Google does. See what you get for offering a bunch of BOGO nonsense on Boost Mobile? Also, you DO know the difference between a physical item and a platform right? The vast majority of Android phones sold were sold by others who needed a cost-free OS to throw onto their badly-made discount handsets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.