iPhone typing and apple bumper question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by super tomtendo, Feb 10, 2011.

1. super tomtendo macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

I have a question a two questions:

#1. When I'm typing a message is their a way that when I'm trying to spell "we're" rather than "were" without manually inserting the ' ?

My droid gave me an option to select things like that, such as Well and We'll, rather than manually doing it.

#2. I've been reading the reviews on the Apple Bumper case - does anyone have it or tried it? What are your thoughts?

Thank you

2. iFitz macrumors regular

For we're, type werer and it will change it to we're.

The bumper case is nice because it shows off the phone but it's not enough protection for the back, at least for me. Depends on how much protection you want. I have one and stopped using it shortly after I got it.

3. super tomtendo thread starter macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

that didn't work. werer didn't do anything but cause a red line for mis-spelling.

4. iFitz macrumors regular

Don't know what to tell you. Always works on mine, and even works on my new one that I got on Monday.

5. super tomtendo thread starter macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

Weird.. yeah mine doesn't work.

Also, about the bumper... did you own one? I read reviews that some say it scratches their iPhone steel lining... did yours?

6. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Same. Works just fine for me!

7. mightygitis macrumors 6502

mightygitis

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have nothing on your typing question, but I have the bumper case. I like it a lot. It gives the phone a better grip without covering it in a bulky case. Mind you the above post is correct about it not covering the back of the phone at all, and that is a deal breaker for some.

I bought my mother a full case, but when she saw the bumper she wanted it instead. It looks great and prevents the phone from sliding in hand or on slanted surfaces.

8. super tomtendo thread starter macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

Again, weird... I just tried it again in a new compose message and it worked.

9. super tomtendo thread starter macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

How long have you had it? Has it scratched your iPhone steel frame? I read a lot of reviews that said that... I was thinking on getting the black one and a invisible shield for the back.

10. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

For the first question, I don't believe there is a way to not have certain words auto correct, unless you just completely turn off auto correct. As to the replies, "werer" did not work on mine, but "weree" did change it to "we're".

Secondly, the bumper scratched my iPhone 4 antenna too. It didn't scratch the antenna, but the antenna has a special coating on it to make it look nicer, so the bumper was wearing away the coating. To remedy this I got clear protectors for the antenna. So when I put my bumpers on, it isn't touch the actual coating of the antenna.

11. Los macrumors regular

The bumper is fine, it's great and sleek and can protect the phone from my minor falls. However, as someone mentioned earlier, it can scratch the antenna after a long period of time, so before you put it on, put some tape on the inside so the plastic won't touch the antenna but instead the tape will be hugging the antenna. That way, it can prevent as many scratches as possible. I did it to mine and no complaints so far.

12. mightygitis macrumors 6502

mightygitis

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

I haven't had it that long. But I took it off And looked and didn't see scratches. Many cases can cause scratches if not maintained. If dirt gets between the case and the phone. As long as you remove it regularly and wipe around the edges you should be fine.

13. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

I have several Apple bumpers and no matter how much you clean before and after putting it on it will scratch your steel

14. dwguertin macrumors newbie

Tap the under lined word werer and it will give you posible words. We're is one of them.

15. iFitz macrumors regular

Yes, I owned one and no, it's didn't scratch the phone. But I only used it for about a month.

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

True. Little pieces of dirt, sand, or whatever get between the bumper and the steel and it causes scratches. I don't really mind, since I don't sell old phones.

17. mightygitis macrumors 6502

mightygitis

Now I'm worried about my antenna! Then again, if it always has a bumper on it who is gonna see it? Lol.

18. mightygitis macrumors 6502

mightygitis

Yeah, that's what I thought. I am used to having to take cases off and clean underneath.

19. saberahul macrumors 68040

Thanks! I always wondered why it wouldn't do it. Sweet :)

20. iFitz macrumors regular

By antenna, I think he means the silver band. The silver band around the phone is NOT the antenna, but the little black strips on the bottom and top are the antenna. I think he was talking about the silver strip and not the small black antenna pieces.

21. lanthom macrumors member

I added a Bumper to my new iPhone 4. The best part is that it came in Tennessee Orange (I live in Knoxville). The contract of the bright orange on black looks great I think.

22. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

http://www.theluckylabs.com/iphone-4-spectra-wrap-52.html
    Just bought that to place under the bumper. It'll keep the band in mint condition if you have a bumper.

23. mightygitis macrumors 6502

mightygitis

Metal band IS part of the antenna. And i am a she.

24. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

The metal band is the antenna. The black parts are separators.

25. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

That's not correct. It's actually exactly the opposite. The metal band IS the antenna (actually several antennas) and the black bands are insulating separators between each antenna segment.