iPhone UK 1.1.2 Activation?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by alexdudman, Nov 5, 2007.

1. alexdudman macrumors member

So, if people buy the iPhone on UK launch day and wish to use it without an o2 contract...

a). Will iNdependences method of "Activating" the iPhone work with 1.1.2 allowing them to use iPod etc..

b). Will there eventualy be a work around for Jailbreaking the iPhone or downgrading to allow 3rd party apps?

There will be many dissapointed people in the UK on launch day I think.

2. roblawton macrumors 6502

To be honest, I don't think anyone knows for sure until Friday.

As for there eventually being a workaround to jailbreak it, there probably will be... but we'll have to wait for the hackers to get their hands on the new software update...

3. spinstorm macrumors 65816

You know it will be interesting to see if O2 offer any good "bolt ons" for the iphone contract.

If you look at the AT&T price plans they are MUCH better value for money.

$60pm (which is roughly eqivalent to the £35pm O2 plan) gives you 450 minutes and 200 texts plus 5000 mins of night and weekend calls!

And for $10 (£5) extra per month you can have 1500 txt messages! thats an EXTRA 1300 messages for £5!

Over here we get crap! 200 minutes and 200 txts! how is that a good deal? forget unlimited data and Wi-Fi access (AT&T offer the unlimited data obviously!) its a rubbish contract.

I have a £35pm O2 contract and I get 600 mins and unlimited texts for the same price!

Now there is no way in HELL that O2 will offer unlimited txts or even 1500 txts for £10 but if they did MAYBE some people could justify the price a bit better.

Alternatively a £10 pm tariff with maybe 100mins and 100txts would be affordable for more people who could maybe justify having the iphone as a second contract at that price.

I THINK a lot of people are going to be put off by the price of the phone and the contract.

I am feeling pretty confident that O2 will either offer better contracts before Christmas or offer good value "bolt ons" on launch day or they will NOT get nearly as much business as they think!

4. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

All the phone shops that currently offer phone unlocking for other brands are going to be offering iphone unlocking for a fee - that's for certain... just in the small town down the road from me there are over a dozen phone shops that do this with current phones so if that's replicated across the UK few people will be bothering with the contracts (I've also had several people, when they've seen my iphone, ask if I could unlock theirs when they get one - could be a nice little earner since the average I've been offered is about £20).

O2 are onto a loser really. They get shafted because a lot of phones (possibly even the majority) will be unlocked and put on cheaper tariffs, and eventually ofcom are going to be looking closely and the practice of locking an unsubsidised phone (previously not allowed).. if found guilty it could wipe out any profits they made from the deal.

Apple are untouchable.. they'll just sell loads of iphones and make loads of money whatever happens.

5. alFR macrumors 68020

However, in the USA they pay for incoming calls to their mobiles as well, hence the higher minutes.

6. spinstorm macrumors 65816

Even so the O2 contract is no good!

Its not enough minutes for calls and not enough txts for most people - the people who txt are the same age group who are most likely to buy an iphone!

Now if O2 were to offer double minutes and txts for online orders then it may be worthit!

7. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

Unlikely... the people who txt are teenagers.. most of them get free phones and I can't see many of them forking out £260 for a phone that can't even text or bluetooth photos to their friends (which is *big*). The SMS app is pretty much an afterthought on the phone as it doesn't even do multiple recipients (also a *big* problem for the teenage crowd).

The market for the iphone is a little older than that - people with disposable income... it's a 'new' device and will take a few years to settle in I'd expect.. in a year or two when you can get them on payG for £50 a throw then it'll take off with the teenage crowd.

8. spinstorm macrumors 65816

I disagree - I believe the iPhone buyers will be in their twenties and at university and/or new jobs and therefore use txting alot.

Its a silly generalisation to say only teenagers use text messaging!

I am in my twenties and all my friends prefer txt to phone calls and I know that 200 txt messages is really a nagative side to the contract.

I promise you O2 will lose lots of potential customers on that basis!

9. jontucker macrumors 6502

I am with 02 at the moment and I get 1200 minutes and 500 texts for £45. My bill however is usually over £100 because I use email (on XDA Mini) extensively. I use around 700 minutes (I used more in the past but have changed my job. I send about 100 texts. Now tell me, how is the £55 iphone contract bad for me?

Incidentally I'm in my 30's (just!) and am chomping at the bit to get my hands on one on Friday having played with one a little while back. I don't care what its shortfalls are, its one of the most well designed gadgets I've ever seen and I cant wait to see how it develops in the future....

10. spinstorm macrumors 65816

I am not saying it is bad for everyone... if you use lots of data its brilliant.

But there is no denying that based on the phone market now that 200 mins/200 texts for £35 is not good value for money.

I could add unlimited data to my o2 contract and it would be in total £42.50pm for unlimited data, 600 mins and unlimited txts... that is £2.50 LESS than the £45pm 600mins/500txt iPhone contract...

I actually think the £45 pm is a decent contract but I certainly do not want to pay that much per month.

I think you guys should realise that most people that buy the iphone from here on in will be mid twenties - maybe not on the first day but in the long run it will be the guys that want music and internet everywhere and so they can afford £269 for a phone but still want better value for money in the contract.

I think O2 are missing the boat here so to speak. I expect good sales to start with but it will level off when people see they can get better deals!

11. jontucker macrumors 6502

I disagree with your predictions, I think it will be people with disposable income regardless of age, up to a point anyway.

12. paulo999 macrumors member

You are buying a £500+ phone. Compare with an o2 sim only tariff and multiply by 18 months. You will see this much more clearly when the unlocked version appears in france.

Its not the operators who set the price for a phone, its the manufacturer.

13. EnderXi macrumors newbie

Anyone figured if we get a US iphone and upgrade it to the 1.1.2 firmware and stick an existing o2 sim into it would we be able to activate the device without having the special o2 contracts cos frankly £899 for the phone and contract is abit of a rip off.

14. jontucker macrumors 6502

I'm happy that there are so many not buying it, makes me feel special :D

15. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

£899? God, it annoys me how people add up the cost of the contract into the cost of the phone. That makes no sense.

So my 'free' Blackberry Pearl has actually cost me £720 over 18 months by your adding up? NO - I'm actually paying for service goddamn it.

-Leemo

16. EnderXi macrumors newbie

I add it up because it is a true reflection of the cost of the phone, yes i have services associated with that but its not what i need or want, frankly i dont want their overpriced crappy data package as i already have a wireless access package!

17. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

Regardless of that, the phone is not '£899'. The fact that it comes with services you do not want does not make it so! When discussing phones the 'total cost' is never referenced in that way.

Fair enough you don't like that packages they're offering - but talking about the cost in that way is just retarded.

-Leemo

18. icyhammer macrumors newbie

iPhone US updated with 1.1.2, on O2 Uk

hi is it really possible??

19. 7jjm macrumors newbie

Hi, if i bought the iPhone on Friday, do you think that i will be able to get it unlocked straight away? I know i might have to wait a while for the 1.1.2 to be jailbroken, but do you think you will be able to downgrade from 1.1.2 to 1.1.1 quite easily?

Also, do you think that there is any way that Apple can track if you are using the 02 Contract and do you know what the payment methods will be for buying the iPhone, do you think that you will be able to pay cash?

Thanks

20. theronster macrumors newbie

I'm buying the phone, but my boss is paying for the contract (which is the same as he is currently paying, £45 per month).

My question is do I use my Apple ID or should I create a new one for him in the Billing Section?

Or could I use my Apple ID and just enter his details in the Direct Debit part? Would that work?

21. roblawton macrumors 6502

You may have to use your own bank details then contact o2 to get a new Direct Debit Mandate to fill in.

As due to DPA you can't give someone else's bank details.

22. herodian macrumors member

no, but that person can.

if you are going to use someone elses account, i suspect there will be a paper mandate to fill out at some stage.. maybe with a 'refer to 02 / CPW / Apple store' message.

23. spinstorm macrumors 65816

If your boss is paying for it then I would fill it in IN HIS name with his account details.

Why make it more complicated than it needs to be? If you called O2 for anything I would just say you are him - after all you will be setting the security questions etc... and have all the account details so its not worthit putting it in your name and using his account - it will just complicate things uneccessarily!

24. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Yes it is. Ever heard of 'total cost of ownership' before?

25. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Not to hijack thread but the name was appropriate so I'm writing here...

Will I just be buying the phone and then activating at home, right?

Thanks!