Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a456

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2005
No matter how many times I look at it £35 per month is a ridiculous amount per month for me personally to pay on a mobile phone, since my current monthly mobile bill is around £1.50 with Virgin Mobile PAYG. But increasingly my business would benefit from the kind of mobile email on offer in the iPhone. I keep thinking iPod Touch, but having to be around Wi-Fi all the time is not really a practical solution yet.

I don't mind paying for the phone, I think that it's a great piece of technology but the tariff is breaking my heart. If there was a £9.99 per month iPod Touch with the ability to send and receive email over the mobile network then I'd jump on it straight away.

Dear Apple - Please innovate and don't fall into accepted pricing plans. Use the market strength you now have to put the iPhone technology into the hands of the many. Thanks.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
To be perfectly honest I don't think what you want is very reasonable, and it's not going to happen. There are very, very, very few contracts that run at £10 p/m, if any, and they won't include any sort of data usage.

I would like to see a cheaper entry point with less minutes and texts for those that don't use the phone side so much, but want the mobile email/web. Say £20-£25 for 200 mins/text + unlimited data. If you unlock you can get an o2 Simplicity tariff SIM for £15 + £7.50 p/m for web bolt on and achieve exactly this. If they'd just offer this as an iPhone contract they'd possibly save a lot of unlocking.

BongoBanger

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
At launch?

No more than £50 on a £35pm 12-18 month contract with good voice and messaging allowances plus unlimited downloads.

I'd pay £100 if it was £30pm and probably up to £200 if it was £25pm.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I don't mind paying for the phone, I think that it's a great piece of technology but the tariff is breaking my heart. If there was a £9.99 per month iPod Touch with the ability to send and receive email over the mobile network then I'd jump on it straight away.

For that to happen you would need to have the telephoney system installed in the iPod Touch or to give it it's proper name an iPhone.

The tariffs are actually pretty reasonable for what you get, they could drop it to £30.

Or of course you could just unlock it, I get a slightly better deal without the cloud part for £22.50 from 02.

jontucker

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
I think £35 isn't too bad a price for the minutes/texts/data you get the problem is that you won't use them. Thats not necessarily Apple's (or O2's) fault.

I'm on the £45 tariff and believe it or not it actually reduced my bill from what it was previously!!

It just depends on your usage, if you're not going to use what your paying for, it comes down to how much you want an iPhone!

mhuk01

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2006
South West England
well as i'm on vodafone £10 per month free internet 250txts and 125 stc minutes, it would be cool for o2 to match that :p

i dont mind really, whatever the deal is i'm gonna get an unlocked 3g iphone, officially or unofficialy.

jontucker

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
At launch?

No more than £50 on a £35pm 12-18 month contract with good voice and messaging allowances plus unlimited downloads.

I'd pay £100 if it was £30pm and probably up to £200 if it was £25pm.

£50? You're having a laugh aren't you? Every chav in the country would have one.... then where would we be!?!?!

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
well as i'm on vodafone £10 per month free internet 250txts and 125 stc minutes, it would be cool for o2 to match that :p
Just to clarify, that's not a "normal" contract right? You're an old customer and over the years they've given you more and more for less to keep you as a customer? (as is my experience with vodafone ;))

BongoBanger

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
£50? You're having a laugh aren't you? Every chav in the country would have one.... then where would we be!?!?!

The UK obviously.

chav_apple_iphone1.jpg

Darwin

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2003
round the corner
I too would be happy if they introduced a £20-£25 for 200 mins/text + unlimited data as the only thing that I use constantly is the data plan. £35 a month is steep considering that I rarely use the minutes.......or even all 500 of the SMS.

sjw

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2005
I already pay £35 a month with O2 on the 600 mins + 500 txt tariff and I barely use any of the minutes and not even half the texts... but it was the only tariff I could get the silver SE K800i on at the time so I thought "whatever!" Clearly my wants always outweigh any iota of sense, lol.

SO when the new 3G iPhone comes around (hurry up June 9 already!) I would quite happily pay the £35 a month, so long as it includes unlimited data. I would definitely want insurance which I think is about £7 a month? So £42 all up...

But if they had any cheaper plans (inclusive of data) I would be on them in a flash.

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
I would be happy with £25 for unlimited data (and I really do mean unlimited) and 100mins/100texts.

Being able to watch TV (BBC iPlayer or streamed from my home) on the way to work in the morning would be great

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
Personally, I would want pay as you go for calls and texts, but a £10 per month data only contract added on. But if Apple add a £20-25 per month contract, that would be good enough for me.

Nipz

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2006
UK
I think there def needs to be a £25/30 with unlimted data.

I have just been offered by 02, for £35 a month, 1200 mins and 1000 texts and a free bolt on (which i would chose the unlimited web of course)! So i dont see why they dont keep the prices the same and up the mins and texts or drop the price and lower the mins and text!

To be honest i would love them to say go on any tariff you like... but i know that isnt going to happen just yet!

Aravintht

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
London, UK
I got the o2 Simplicity tariff when it first came out

unlimited texts, free web bolt on, 1200 x-net minutes all for £30

if the iPhone tariff was the same, i dont even came about the cloud, i'd take it and not have to deal with unlocking etc.

sreedy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2005
Somerset
I'm already on an O2 £35 per month contract, so the contract price is not my issue with getting an iPhone. The issue for me is (a) the iPhone handset price is too high and (b) I'm still under contract with O2 Carphonewarehouse. (and they want £200 odd to break to contract, as is their right)

sjw

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2005
I'm already on an O2 £35 per month contract, so the contract price is not my issue with getting an iPhone. The issue for me is (a) the iPhone handset price is too high and (b) I'm still under contract with O2 Carphonewarehouse. (and they want £200 odd to break to contract, as is their right)

Re. point (b), I recall reading somewhere - quite possibly here - that O2 will let you sign a new contract with the iPhone and cancel any existing contract you have with them? Perhaps I dreamed it up... I'm hoping there's an element of truth in there because I don't think my contract with them runs out until July. Maybe they'll let me get away with it... there is no way I can wait until July to get an iPhone.

Can anyone clear that up? :confused:

Nipz

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2006
UK
Yea this is true sjw.

I rang 02 to ask about this and they said to buy an iPhone. Plug it in to the dock etc. And then when it comes up with 'do you want to keep your number' or 'make a new contract' you click keep your number and your set!

Hope that helps :)

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
Yea this is true sjw.

I rang 02 to ask about this and they said to buy an iPhone. Plug it in to the dock etc. And then when it comes up with 'do you want to keep your number' or 'make a new contract' you click keep your number and your set!

Hope that helps :)

the way it should be - nice and simple

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
I think £35 isn't too bad a price for the minutes/texts/data you get the problem is that you won't use them. Thats not necessarily Apple's (or O2's) fault.

I'm on the £45 tariff and believe it or not it actually reduced my bill from what it was previously!!

It just depends on your usage, if you're not going to use what your paying for, it comes down to how much you want an iPhone!

I wouldn't agree with your first paragraph. £35 may not be a bad price for what's offered, but you can't necessarily say that it's not Apple/O2's fault that someone is paying for what they don't use. They could offer a lower tariff for fewer minutes/texts.

I'll join those saying I'd like a tariff of around £20-25 a month. I currently have a 12 month contract at £15 per month for an N73 which cost £50. I'd pay more to have the iPhone and unlimited (useable!) data, but £35 a month is steep.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
No matter how many times I look at it £35 per month is a ridiculous amount per month for me personally to pay on a mobile phone, since my current monthly mobile bill is around £1.50 with Virgin Mobile PAYG. But increasingly my business would benefit from the kind of mobile email on offer in the iPhone. I keep thinking iPod Touch, but having to be around Wi-Fi all the time is not really a practical solution yet.

Dear Apple - Please innovate and don't fall into accepted pricing plans. Use the market strength you now have to put the iPhone technology into the hands of the many. Thanks.

The price of the tariff is competitive.

The fact is people will complain whatever price Apple set it at.

Grasbak

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2006
UK
currently i put about £5 a month on my payg mobile and pay £4 to the cloud for my ipod touch for WIFI hotspots

£35 is way too much for me, as are 600mins and 500texts

a £20 tarrif with unlimited data and say 150mins & text would be about perfect for me

but then it would depend on what they charge for the phone!

i realise this wont happen! But i wonder how many people are in the same position as me.....

sreedy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2005
Somerset
Re. point (b), I recall reading somewhere - quite possibly here - that O2 will let you sign a new contract with the iPhone and cancel any existing contract you have with them? Perhaps I dreamed it up... I'm hoping there's an element of truth in there because I don't think my contract with them runs out until July. Maybe they'll let me get away with it... there is no way I can wait until July to get an iPhone.

Can anyone clear that up? :confused:

You are correct if I was with O2 but although with O2 I am billed by O2 Carphonewarehouse (as that's where I got it) which is different and they are not doing the same policy which I think is very very poor on their behalf. So when my contact is up I will not go anywhere near Carphonewarehouse and go straight to O2 direct..... my bad!

Details:

If you're an existing O2 customer billed directly by O2 or Pay & Go,

you'll be asked as part of the activation process if you want to keep your mobile number and you will need to provide your existing mobile number and enter a PIN (which O2 will send to you during activation). Transferring your number can take up to 5 working days, but don't worry, O2 will provide you with a temporary number so you can start enjoying your iPhone straight away following activation.

If you are an O2 customer who is billed by The Carphone Warehouse,

If you joined or upgraded through Carphone Warehouse after 18 September 2007 you must in addition pay an amount of £219 as compensation for our loss due to terminating early.

I didn't have the cash for an iPhone so got a new phone in November, but now have the cash so would like to..... if I was billed by O2 I could but CPW won't let me without paying the £219!

I can't decide if this is fair or not..... I see Carphonewarehouses point but the fact that O2 policy is different you'd think O2 would make them do the same offer!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.