Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ol!ver

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2005
All I want is a tariff the same as my current flext one with T-Mobile. That's why my iPhone is unlocked !

domness

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
Sheffield, UK
I think paying £35 a month is perfect!

My old contract was also with O2, but minus the Free Internet part. This was exactly the same... £35 a month. I got 700 texts and 1000 Minutes.

However, I was rarely ever using the minutes up!

After buying the iPhone and starting a new contract I thought the tariff was on the verge of.. 'ok..'. The texts were always running out and the minutes.. (as always seem fine with me). Since changing all their tariffs a couple of months ago giving customers more for their money I thought that the £35 p/month was bloody brilliant! I hate paying loads for what I don't need, but this seems fine with the iPhone :) I will never regret going with O2 on this one. (As sorting out all the internet stuff for PAYG in my eyes is painful.)

:) So there you have it, my full story on why £35 a month is good.

Aha.

sjw

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2005
Yea this is true sjw.

I rang 02 to ask about this and they said to buy an iPhone. Plug it in to the dock etc. And then when it comes up with 'do you want to keep your number' or 'make a new contract' you click keep your number and your set!

Hope that helps :)

Thanks for that! Now back to the countdown... 18 days to go.. :mad:

sweetice2007

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2007
i hate contracts i cant wait until mine finished in december then im going to be on a 30 day rolling sim only one - can get far better dealsfor around £20 or even less infact and to be honest id rather by the handset outright anyway whether it be shipped in or from here and unlocked ive done it in the past im not afraid to do it again really.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
I think the £35 per month tarriff is entirely reasonable (nay fairly good) providing the handset gets a normal level of subsidy, which of course ain't the case now.

Phazer

jontucker

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
i hate contracts i cant wait until mine finished in december then im going to be on a 30 day rolling sim only one - can get far better dealsfor around £20 or even less infact and to be honest id rather by the handset outright anyway whether it be shipped in or from here and unlocked ive done it in the past im not afraid to do it again really.

What a brave little soldier you are!;)

a456

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2005
currently i put about £5 a month on my payg mobile and pay £4 to the cloud for my ipod touch for WIFI hotspots

£35 is way too much for me, as are 600mins and 500texts

a £20 tarrif with unlimited data and say 150mins & text would be about perfect for me

but then it would depend on what they charge for the phone!

i realise this wont happen! But i wonder how many people are in the same position as me.....

Me for one. Hence I started this thread. How do you find using the iPod Touch for email?

How many people really get £35 worth of use out an iPhone every month? WAKE UP!!!!! YOU'VE ALREADY PAID FOR THE PHONE!!!!

razorianfly

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom
For me to sell my iPod touch and get an iPhone, here in the UK, o2 would have to fully subsidise the handset so it appears 'Free' to me, and then I would be willing to pay no more than £35 a month on a contract. I don't care how long I would be tied into that contract, just not prepared to pay more than £35/mth for a phone.

R-Fly

a456

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2005
There are two camps here. One that says £35/month is reasonable even with the initial outlay and another that says hang on £35 is a bit steep.

Somebody show me the breakdown of costs incurred by mobile operators against the revenues they receive. Maybe then I will stop feeling like their profit margins are unreasonably high and something I don't want to be funding.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.