iPhone Unlock

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hatchett123, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Hatchett123 macrumors newbie

Hatchett123

so I have an iPhone 6 under contract with AT&T. I'm looking to get it unlocked so I can use it on other networks. After some reading, this seems possible. Can anyone explain the process to me and recommend a reputable unlock?

2. wongster macrumors regular

try submitting an unlock request online with at&t

3. Hatchett123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hatchett123

It gets denied because I am under contract

4. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You cannot unlock the phone until meet their requirements. One way to unlock it, is to pay off the ETF.

6. Chatter macrumors 6502a

To add - you can go find an online unlocking service. You will find conflicting reports on if they work or not. And which one works "well". That is your gamble to make.

7. Hatchett123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hatchett123

I want to keep my contract for when I'm home. I only want the unlock in order to avoid roaming charges when I'm gone. Ill see what I can find on the unlocks on the internet.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

From what little I know, I think most of those unlocking sites are scams at this point. ATT made changes to how it handles this a while ago and thus inhibiting most of those services. I could be wrong, but as I mentioned the little I do know, most people haven't had a lot of luck

9. Chatter macrumors 6502a

You are correct. They are a scam. But we will randomly come across someone who swears on their future mother in laws grave that "site xyz" works. Maybe they just wanna kill the MIL....:p

10. noobinator macrumors 601

I've always wondered how these companies stay in business and don't get taken down. The only way they can work is having insiders within the carrier I presume?

11. Hatchett123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hatchett123

For the record, they are not a scam. I went with swift unlocks. I ordered their AT&T Premium service for $12.99 at 12pm on Friday and my phone was unlocked by 9pm Friday evening. I tried other SIM cards and everything works perfectly. Also, every question I asked prior to ordering was answered very quickly.

12. HEK Suspended

HEK

Correct they pay insider for login access to carriers computer. Watson articles back in September I believe.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not a scam, they successfully unlocked millions of devices.
    They have access to enter imei numbers and they making a killing.

14. vietalogy macrumors 6502

No problems with swiftunlocks I've unlocked over 50 phones with them.

15. Chatter macrumors 6502a

So OP has used Swift and they worked. But OP started the thread asking for options on "what to do" and asking for a "reputable unlock".

:rolleyes:

16. Hatchett123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hatchett123

You're right. I made all of this up just to give a shoutout to Swift.

:rolleyes:

17. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

So take your own advice, and use them.

18. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Scam may not be the right word. Shady as hell, absolutely. All of the unlocking companies are shady, especially once you figure out how they're able to do it.

19. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Correct. AT&T is suing some former employees that were involved with a similar company. I also know of a handset manufacturer that has fired employees for selling codes on a forum.

20. snow755 macrumors 6502a

snow755

there is a way around that but you have too due it be for you turn on your phone and activate the phone you would need too fill out the request 1st i tryed it when i 1st had my 950 be for i ended up returning it and it work i was able too get the phone unlocked

21. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Just swap for a Verizon one too. Unlocked from the get go

22. Romelo23 macrumors newbie

I upgraded 4 contracts in January (All iPhone 6s Plus) before AT&T did away with them, unlimited data on all 4 lines. I always used swift unlocks but the prices are much higher now and there's no guarantee. Instead I went on eBay and offered $8 per unlock and paid $32. They were all unlocked the same day and I was able to verify with different SIM cards. I don't remember the name of the seller but it was like $15 per unlock (make sure you read the fine print because this auction said unlock while still under contract and others don't offer this). The auction also had a "Make Offer" button.

23. Beenblacklisted macrumors 6502

Beenblacklisted

if you unlock your phone before you pay off you contract, your phone will be blacklisted and carrier restricted here in usa , and possibly europe and other places that adhere to the imei blacklist agreement. best to talk to att , and tell them what it is you are trying to achieve, most cases they will help , they dont want to lose customers.

24. Romelo23 macrumors newbie

This is not true. I've been unlocking my phones since the services started with the iPhone 5 I think. In fact, I've already traveled internationally with my phone and it still works AND I checked it on Swappa's ESN Check and it comes up as completely clean. None of my phones have ever been blacklisted. The blacklisting is mostly for phones reported lost/stolen.

25. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Unlocked by whom? Or, what method are you talking about?