iPhone Upgrade Dilemma

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stevoeddz, Apr 13, 2011.

  1. stevoeddz macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2008
    #1
    So I've had an iPhone 3Gs for close to two years now. It's slowly breaking on me. (cracked glass, broke silent switch, drops more calls then usual) I have an upgrade available now. I was planning to wait till June and get an iPhone 5 when it's released. With rumors pointing towards September, I don't know how much longer I can wait. Am i better off using my upgrade now for an iPhone 4, and then throw it up on eBay when the 5's come out? Use the eBay cash for a no commitment upgrade? Anyone know how that works? I'm not too familiar with early and no commitment upgrades.
     
  2. vincenz macrumors 601

    vincenz

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2008
    #2
    I'd say get it now. You're talking about a 5-6 month wait. During that time, you could've been enjoying the 4. When the 5 comes out and you think it's worth it to upgrade, throw the 4 on eBay for 400 and use it towards a no commitment 5 for 600.
     
  3. lannim macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2011
    Location:
    Indiana
    #3
    A "no commitment upgrade" is you buying the phone at msrp. So you pay..I dunno 600-800 for it? Personally I love the iPhone 4 look so unless the next iPhone really delivers (like LTE capable, or at least hspa+) I won't worry about getting it
     
  4. wordoflife macrumors 604

    wordoflife

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2009
    #4
    In your case, I'd get it now.
    But if you like white, then I'd probably wait for that considering it shouldn't be too far away provided rumors are correct.
     
  5. Hans Brix macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2010
    #5
    Agreed. This is probably what I'll be doing. Just broke my 3GS.
     
  6. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2010
    #6
    Now!!

    When IOS5 comes out, and is probably compatible with the IP4, the IP4 will be improved a lot, even though it is very, very good now. ( I am looking for deep voice integration, like android has). Enjoy the IP4 now.
     
  7. seenew macrumors 68000

    seenew

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2005
    Location:
    Brooklyn
    #7
    I'm in a similar situation, except I'm still using a dumbphone. I'm moving to New York in June and I was hoping to pick up an iP5 around then as I'm sure I'll definitely need it there.
    But I don't know if I can wait for September...
     
  8. wxman2003 Suspended

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2011
    #8
    The way it's looking, ios5 may come out before the iphone 5.
     

Share This Page