iPhone Upgrade Program Causing Headaches for Some Launch Day Customers

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 25, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple launched its iPhone Upgrade Program today in the U.S., enabling customers to purchase the iPhone 6s or iPhone 6s Plus with AppleCare+ coverage included for 24 equal payments of between around $30 and $45 per month depending on the model. After at least 12 monthly payments, the customer can upgrade to a new iPhone and restart the 24-month payment cycle.

[​IMG]

Apple stipulates that the iPhone Upgrade Program is available to qualified customers only with a valid U.S. personal credit card, since the program is based on a 24-month installment loan with a 0% APR from Citizens Bank. For customers with good credit, most did not expect this requirement to be an issue. But, as launch day unfolds, some customers have had frustrating experiences.

MacRumors user onujpt writes that he was declined from the program, despite having good credit and an Apple Barclaycard with a $4,000 available balance, in the iPhone Upgrade Program Experience Thread in our discussion forums. Many other users shared similar experiences in the thread.
    MacRumors user inkyoto echoed similar frustration in his thread Nightmarish Experience With Apple Upgrade Program in our discussion forums, noting that he was denied approval for the iPhone Upgrade Program with both Chase and Bank of America credit cards despite having "flawless credit."
    It is possible that iPhone Upgrade Program approvals have been experiencing problems due to the high volume of traffic today in Apple Stores, but in the meantime some customers with good credit may be forced to pay upfront or walk away empty handed. Alternatively, some customers may opt for a carrier financing plan from AT&T, Verizon, Sprint or T-Mobile.

Enrolling in the iPhone Upgrade Program requires visiting an Apple Store. Apple states you must be at least 18 years old and bring your current iPhone, a valid personal credit card, your personal information and two forms of identification and your carrier information, such as your wireless account password. The full terms and conditions are posted on Apple's website.

Article Link: iPhone Upgrade Program Causing Headaches for Some Launch Day Customers

2. ZacNicholson macrumors 6502a

ZacNicholson

New things like this are usually a mess. I remember t mobile had a mess last year and this year it went smooth

3. WowAppleWow macrumors member

WowAppleWow

So what do I have to do to claim your phone? ;)

4. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

This place truly comes alive around iPhone launches. It's great.

5. waitforitben macrumors newbie

Had the same issue this morning and ended up having to go with stupid AT&T next... i was pretty upset

6. cookies! macrumors 6502

I'm trying to figure out why I was charged $150 on my AMEX when I used it to authorize this program.

7. kenotke macrumors newbie

I had no issues at all using the apple program for two phones. Went quick and easy.

8. John Mcgregor Suspended

John Mcgregor

How about just once in a decade we'd have o issues launching a product. How about that.

9. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I was told 3 times it was a soft pull. I guess I will find out Monday when I get my credit report. But I was approved without a problem.

If it was a hard pull, I really hope they don't require a hard pull every year. That would be ridiculous.

10. kenotke macrumors newbie

taxes. you have to pay the entire tax, plus first month payment when you sign up.

11. JFK1979 macrumors member

Had absolutely no problems signing up for Apple's upgrade program. Used Citi Mastercard and T-mobile. And yes you pay taxes plus first month which if im not mistaken puts the 12th payment in August next year and right on track for the next IPhone

12. l.w41sh macrumors 6502

Yeah. I tried multiple times and multiple cards to try and get the iPhone Upgrade Program. Finally just got AT&T Next it saved me money but I don't get Apple Care. After this makes bigger news ill go in and complain and either get them to switch me or give me Apple Care.

13. WowAppleWow macrumors member

WowAppleWow

Why don't people just pay for the phone upfront? Knowing we upgrade every year.... buying the phone outright has been simple for us.

14. idrewpage macrumors newbie

idrewpage

Wow, way to drop the ball Apple. They should have made sure that their finance company was ready, and well trained for problems. Seems like Apple should have had a great launch. Glad I went with AT&T Next again. Never any problems with that.

15. dvkid macrumors regular

Chiming in to say I, also, had no issues getting this setup. My credit card presently shows a charge and credit in the same amount, but both are pending so it'll likely sort itself out shortly.

My bank did balk at the charge initially, but I replied "YES" to a text, the Apple Store employee re-ran the charge, and all was rosy from there on out.

16. mattnotis macrumors regular

17. l.w41sh macrumors 6502

I will only pay $432 for the phone?
    Not 800.

18. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

My appointment to sign up for this program is at 6pm. Now I'm getting worried because I have to drive 120 miles to the nearest Apple Store. I thought this program sounded neat. Then I just had to accept that I needed to go to the store to set it up. Now it sounds like a big pain. I'm going to be furious if I get declined when I get there. My credit is pretty good but not perfect, although I don't think I've ever had a late payment. I've only got a mortgage and a credit card that I pay off monthly. I could buy the phone outright but liked the idea of trading in my device to Apple every year instead of some shady website and the bonus Apple Care and no upgrade fee from Verizon made it worth it. I'm going to go look into my Verizon options really quick before I have to head out at 4! Didn't they drop their prices last night?

One other thing—when I spoke to the rep on the phone about this program on afternoon of September 10th I was specifically told "It's a soft credit inquiry only used for analytics purposes." Yes, really. Apple customer support is going downhill if they don't even know the basics of how their program works.

19. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

You should be able to return the phone and try to do the upgrade program at another time.

20. WowAppleWow macrumors member

WowAppleWow

We pay $950 upfront then sell the old phones for $550. So we pay $400 per year and don't have to worry about these programs.

21. l.w41sh macrumors 6502

Yeah if you sell it for the money then sure.
    This is the first year I have signed up for one of these programs.
    Normally just pay $199 and pay AT&T for the plan, then sell it.

22. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

hahahahaha! "stupid" at&t next is the same thing as apple's upgrade program... EXCEPT you don't have the credit check issues and you don't have one extra bill to worry about since it's added into your phone bill!

BOTH come out to the same price whether you trade in or not!

23. chasemac macrumors 6502a

chasemac

I will gladly pay you Tuesday for an iPhone today.:)

24. KPOM macrumors G5

I had no issues at all. Apple has handled thousands of these transactions so far today. They are bound to run into a few issues that might not be related to them, at all. Perhaps Citizens One has an issue on their end.

25. WowAppleWow macrumors member

WowAppleWow

so you only get the 16GB iPhone?

26. WowAppleWow, Sep 25, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2015

WowAppleWow macrumors member

WowAppleWow

If someone needs to finance the phone they should not buy one. Pay cash upfront and keep it simple....

Note: There are so many plans and options that we (all of us) don't really understand. I remember when a worker at ATT tried to explain Next... They finally said they didn't really understand it themselves. So I think it keeps it simple to just buy the phone outright.