Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gijoeinla

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Not my experience at all. In fact I purchased THREE NEW iPHONES via Apple's new program and all went super super smooth. The contracts say that they (the card you used to secure the "loan") will charge the tax and first payment in 3 days.

Even one of my older iPhone 6+ was on a Next plan contract with At&t... I can either turn in that phone, pay it off and keep it or sell it. This Apple Plan is totally separate for those wondering.

I'm actually THRILLED that I am CONTRACT FREE from the grip of At&t!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yahhhhhhhhooooooooooooeeeeee!!!

I will say WITHOUT A DOUBT this is BY FAR for ME the best and most easiest iPhone on-sale experience I have EVER had to date. HUGE IMPROVEMENT over last years nightmare. HUGE!

Thank you Apple!!!

This rocks!!

warrior2000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
I had no issues at all. Apple has handled thousands of these transactions so far today. They are bound to run into a few issues that might not be related to them, at all. Perhaps Citizens One has an issue on their end.

could be some have terriorist red flags

WowAppleWow

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2015
DFW
Let's see. I make money with credit cards. All my cards have fantastic rewards, I pay my cards off each month and have never paid a penny in interest. Why use cash if I can get a minimum of 1.5% cash back on each transaction. I usually average 5% cash back per transaction because of rotating categories and having a few different cards with different perks.

It is a proven fact that you will spend more when using a credit card vs. cash. The extra you spend could be invested and earn more than your credit card points....

Reactions: InfoTime

cookies!

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
taxes. you have to pay the entire tax, plus first month payment when you sign up.
Sigh. I figured. The employee assured me that wasn't the case. I was skeptical because thats what all early upgrade programs do.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Maybe 724 is too low for a combined household. Or other factors from his score tally.

724 is just right smack in the middle of good.

WowAppleWow

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2015
DFW
Actually, using these programs is financially more sound than your cash purchase choice. They're using other people's money, and you're letting someone use your money for a year...

That might be true if the cost was over 5K... We are talking about $400...lol

Reactions: InfoTime

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
It is a proven fact that you will spend more when using a credit card vs. cash. The extra you spend could be invested and earn more than your credit card points....

And don't you think that for just a moment, someone could be even smarter than you, that they use this program to build their credit or get it even higher than it already is? But no.. you interpret it as people being uneducated in a feeble attempt to live above their means - another mistake in your narrow-minded vision.

BL.

El Hikaru

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2013
I am sorry for those who have problem but don't be proud of having only $4,000 credit line. It's a bit too small for $80,000 income person.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
hahahahaha! "stupid" at&t next is the same thing as apple's upgrade program... EXCEPT you don't have the credit check issues and you don't have one extra bill to worry about since it's added into your phone bill!

BOTH come out to the same price whether you trade in or not!
Yeah but didn't they already do a credit check for him to be on the next program? Idk because I'm in a 2 yr plan.

3rdiguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
Why don't people just pay for the phone upfront? Knowing we upgrade every year.... buying the phone outright has been simple for us.
I'm with you on this. I don't buy a new one every year but when I get mine, I'll pay for it up front( on Verizon with unlimited data plan).

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I disagree. I budget extremely well and do not spend on nonsense. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I do not like carrying cash. Never do. It's easier to budget when you see every transaction detailed out by the bank.

25,000 points on my credit card is a first class flight from LAX to Orlando. One point = $.01. That's $250. Same flight in cash was $1400. I'll choose points over investment. I saved $1150.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I am sorry for those who have problem but don't be proud of having only $4,000 credit line. It's a bit too small for $80,000 income person.
It's 80 combined income. Maybe the other family member has 20000 or other debts.

WowAppleWow

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2015
DFW
And don't you think that for just a moment, someone could be even smarter than you, that they use this program to build their credit or get it even higher than it already is? But no.. you interpret it as people being uneducated in a feeble attempt to live above their means - another mistake in your narrow-minded vision.

BL.

lol...Believe me, Im avg. at best when it comes to smarts. I never made any statements to the fact that people were being uneducated....but you have told me a lot about yourself by making these statements.

WowAppleWow

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2015
DFW
I disagree. I budget extremely well and do not spend on nonsense. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I do not like carrying cash. Never do. It's easier to budget when you see every transaction detailed out by the bank.

25,000 points on my credit card is a first class flight from LAX to Orlando. One point = $.01. That's $250. Same flight in cash was $1400. I'll choose points over investment. I saved $1150.

cool, some people can't. Sounds like you are making it work.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
hahahahaha! "stupid" at&t next is the same thing as apple's upgrade program... EXCEPT you don't have the credit check issues and you don't have one extra bill to worry about since it's added into your phone bill!

BOTH come out to the same price whether you trade in or not!

If they're both truly the same cost, then Next isn't as good of a deal since with the iPhone Upgrade Plan, you get AppleCare+.

MistrSynistr

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
This is turning out silly. It sounded so easy and intuitive, now it's like you need this, that, ID's, oh we check your credit and all this other hoopla.

People with immaculate credit don't need to lease iPhones.

baller1308

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2009
If someone needs to finance the phone they should not buy one. Pay cash upfront and keep it simple....
I mean you can put that money you would have spent and invest it somewhere, though the returns probably won't be much in most cases. But then there are some people who upgrade every year so why bother buying the phone and then having to sell it later. You probably lose out on some money, but don't have to deal with the hassle of trying to sell it in a flooded market. One downside is that you are stuck getting new iPhones and if you ever want to change you'd have to pay the remaining balance.

Reactions: tjl3

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
lol...Believe me, Im avg. at best when it comes to smarts. I never made any statements to the fact that people were being uneducated....but you have told me a lot about yourself by making these statements.

When you throw around assumptions of "don't get an iPhone if you can't afford an iPhone" doesn't smack of having any insight into a person's life or lifestyle. I personally could pay for at least 6 iPhone outright in cash right now, but I am wanting to use the AUP to build my credit so I will be in better shape for making bigger purchases further down the road. But according to you, since I'm financing it, I can't afford it, so I don't need it.

See how narrow minded you have made yourself out to be?

BL.

macdragonfl

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale,Fl
You are drawing conclusions from a single thread on a rumor site that has less than one page of responses. You aren't hearing from those who had smooth transactions, because most likely they aren't posting.
Just like software updates where there are 50 people who have a complaint out of a couple hundred million who updated, they complain the Apple is doomed, WTF Apple, This would never happen under Steve Etc. LOL Even when there are 50 pages it equals less than a rounding error.

Reactions: steelecan

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
I'm confused. So if you decide to upgrade after one year you hand your current phone back after half paying it off??!?? That doesn't sound like a good deal!

This program is great if you pay it off over two years without a carrier contract and get to keep the phone, but handing it back after you've half paid it off sounds like a rotten deal.

Am I reading this wrong?

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Hmmm, .....those CC companies can potentially make more $$ through revolving credit interest charges on an up-front lump sum charge of give or take $650-$950 than on 24 successive charges of $30-$45 posted monthly by Apple, but that couldn't be the reason, could it.....?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.