iPhone Usage Among U.S. Teens Hits 40% as iPad Continues to Gain Traction

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 9, 2012.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster today released a report outlining the results of his semi-annual survey of U.S. teenagers, revealing that iPhone and iPad usage continues to surge among the demographic. The survey of over 7,700 teenagers shows that 40% of respondents currently use an iPhone, up from 34% in the last survey conducted just six months ago.
    Apple also appears well-positioned with teenagers going forward, with 62% of survey respondents stating that they plan to obtain an iPhone as their next phone.

[​IMG]

On the topic of tablets, Munster found that 44% of teenagers now have a tablet device of some sort, with 72% of those using an iPad. Roughly 35% of survey respondents who do not yet have a tablet (20% of total respondents) are planning to obtain one in the next six months. Of those, 74% are planning to purchase an iPad.

Apple's rumored "iPad mini" also appears to be a strong potential draw for teenagers, with 43% of those planning to purchase a tablet reporting that they would be more likely to do so if Apple launched a smaller iPad priced at $299.

Munster notes that attracting young users is a key part of Apple's strategy, as moving them into the Apple ecosystem at a young age helps lock them in for the future. The iPod touch has long been seen as a gateway device to attract younger users into the Apple ecosystem, but with the iPhone and iPad gaining in usage among these young users as smartphone and tablet prevalence continue to grow in general, many are moving into Apple's higher-priced devices at younger and younger ages.

Article Link: iPhone Usage Among U.S. Teens Hits 40% as iPad Continues to Gain Traction

2. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I'm not a teen (though I am young at heart), but I still want one.

3. george-brooks macrumors 6502a

george-brooks

I got my first iPhone (on initial launch day) when I was 15. My brother got his first iPhone (4S) at 11. I have seen kids as young as 6 with their own personal iPhones. This is a huge demographic.

4. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

I'm guessing that the iPad Mini will increase both the number planning to purchase and the percentage of planned purchases that will be iPads.

5. 184550 Guest

... and tweens. I can't believe how many middle schoolers have iPhones.

6. Kaibelf macrumors 68020

Kaibelf

Cue all the silly people that whine about how iPhone is only for kids, and how they should know better, while ignoring the tens and tens of millions of adults (many of which are completely comfortable with technology and work with it professionally) who simply prefer iPhone to Android. :rolleyes:

7. chuckd83 macrumors regular

is this all teens or just ones with cell phones? better yet, only ones with smart phones?

8. Nevzorus macrumors 6502

9. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I couldn't never afford even a basic contract phone when I was a teenager. Never mind an iPhone.

10. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Yup, and they're all here in the MR iPhone forum asking dumb questions.

11. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

Not too long ago that both competitors and many Apple-naysayers on this forum proclaimed iPhone is no longer cool and teens love non-iPhones. :confused:

12. drummerdude1390 macrumors member

Hey Gene, when's that Apple TV coming out again?

13. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

14. bettaboy123 macrumors member

We love our iPhones and iPads. :) I know my next phone is either going to be the iPhone 5 or Galaxy Note II (upgrading again in November :D)

I find many teens share iPads with other family members, and with Share Everything and similar plans, and also our ages + jobs, nearly everyone is getting a smartphone. If you aren't, you're almost definitely getting the Samsung Intensity II. Teens are getting the iPhone, a "Galaxy", or an HTC (mainly iPhones and "Galaxies"). And I see iPhone making a larger splash now with the 4S at $99 and the iPhone 5.

Windows Phone is actually surprisingly big here, with probably 7-8% share.

Note: I live in a slightly above-average (in socioeconomic terms) area.

15. mantan macrumors 68000

Of course...the free with contract iPhones and huge number of 'hand me downs' have taken away the upfront cost.

Even though you pay WAY more for the data plan over 24 months, a lot of people see it as 'giving their kids a free phone' and just absorb the extra costs into the everygrowing cell phone bill.

The free on contract/$99 8 gig option was genius. Most kids will outgrow that with apps, pics and videos in NO time at all. Those kids will likely 'graduate' to a 16/32 gig device when their contracts are up.

16. reckless2k2 macrumors 6502a

Quite the opposite. I would expect to hear more people complaining that these kids shouldn't have these kind of devices.

17. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

But I thought all teens loved the big a** Android phones and iPhones were for their parents and grandparents.

18. camnchar macrumors 6502

camnchar

Both my teen kids (15 and 17) have iPhones handed down from us. My son tried an HTC Android first, but switched over to an iPhone when the contract was up and hasn't looked back.

19. AbyssImpact macrumors 6502a

20. itsaustinh macrumors member

I'm 17 and I'd believe that tidbit about the iPod touch... I got my iPod touch for Christmas last year and since then I got the new iPad in August and I switched in my horrible Android phone (running 2.1, mind you) in for an iPhone 5. I'll never go back!

21. HishamAkhtar macrumors 6502a

22. deannnnn macrumors 68020

deannnnn

I got the first iPhone when I was a senior in high school, 17 years old. By the time I was a sophomore in college, everybody had them. I'm 22 now, so I'm obviously not a teen anymore, but my point is that this is certainly not a new trend. It's been this way for years.

23. Chumburro2U macrumors 6502

Chumburro2U

True Dat

Many of my nieces and nephews have iPhones. Heck, even my grandparents, aunts, and uncles too. Gotta love it. :apple:

24. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

Wow this kind of story really contrasts to the ones we are reading in Europe about middle class American families queuing for free food supplies, and what's with all those tent cities?....I thought everyone in the US was rich?

25. JrJ 15 macrumors member

This!! It is unbelievable how many 12 yr olds and below have the iPhone 5 in my area!!