iphone USB cable fraying

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by ski2moro, Nov 2, 2008.

1. ski2moro macrumors 6502

My iPhone 3G USB cable is broken and frayed on the phone end.

The breakage is at the point where the little wire goes into the thicker insulation. The plastic insulation is broken about 1/2 of the way around. I can see some green threads and the metal wire inside. It looks like the frayed MagSafe adaptor from my first MacBook Pro.

I'm not hard on my stuff, but sheez, this is ridiculous. The cable is not twisted or kinked anywhere.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Do you think this will be covered by Apple if I go to the store? I got my phone in late July this year.

2. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

This is happening to me too. If you have an apple store nearby you should go there.

3. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

Happened to me as well except on the USB side.

4. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

It happened to me on the USB side and now it's happening on the other side.

5. pavvento macrumors 6502

It's so funny that I just saw this thread, because as I turned on my computer I saw that my USB cable was fraying, bizarre timing. I'll go in this week and hopefully get a new one.

6. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

Seems to be a common issue, a couple months ago there was a similar thread about this happening.

I've not had it happen to me(yet) but IF it does happen I'll be down @ the local :apple: store getting it replaced.

7. wenglish macrumors member

It's not like these things are cheap either at $20. This is the kind of quality you'd expect from a cheap Chinese knock-off, not the real McCoy from Apple (although I'm sure even the real McCoy is made in China).

8. dittman macrumors member

I had my cable replaced once before for this problem and it's happening again.

9. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I'm sure they will replace mine if I go to an apple store, but the only one here is kinda far away since I don't have a car. I have to take the subway, then a bus, then walk about a mile and half uphill. Not worth it...

10. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

Had the same problem. I went to Apple and they replaced it free.

11. DJAfterbar macrumors newbie

So, we all know that apple cables generally stink and cost a fortune. Has anyone found an after market company that makes a USB to iPhone wire? Every time I replaced an apple laptop power cord or other cable with a random shady aftermarket one, the aftermarket one has been much better. I'd love to know if this exists.

12. Ding.Dong macrumors regular

$1.62 at monoprice.com

13. Almy macrumors 6502

Holy bump. But yeah same problem here. I went into the nearest app store and was told exhanges are by appointment only, and the associate needed wasn't there that day. A Saturday. I live an hour and a half away so not sure which will happen first: me having my next trip up there, or the thing stops working and I'm better off using the gas money to just buy one at Wal-Mart.

14. Sirobin macrumors 6502

Sirobin

Same thing with mine. Too bad there's no Apple store near me...oh well.

15. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

Walmart sells the cords now since they sell iPhones as well.

16. ieko macrumors member

Ugh, I've had like three cables do this, I never thought that apple would replace it, so I never did anything about it, but I sure will try this week.

Will they do the same for the earbud headphones? The rubber on the earbud is seperating and breaking, this isn't the first time that's happened to me either. -- Sorry to go slightly off topic.

17. solusoracle macrumors member

Sorry to bring this thread back to life.

I had this issue too at the dock connector end through normal usage. Phoned up O2 first who were useless about it and said it would not be covered under warranty and I would have to go to an Apple store to swap and pay for a replacement.

I phoned up Apple after this and a very helpful lady sent out a replacement the next day at no charge. A hold of £10 was put on my credit card in case I did not send back the old cable. She seemed worried and told me NOT to use the cable as it was a risk. "Of course we will send out a new cable right away!"

18. foobar0101 macrumors newbie

Looks like a common problem

This seems to be a pretty common problem, for the Apple sync cable to get damaged with regular use. Besides this thread, I've seen lots of complaints
    searching Google and on Twitter.

I got an email this week announcing a "super-strength" sync cable for iPod or iPhone that looks a lot more solid than Apple's, for about the same cost. http://cablejive.com/duraSync

I'd be interested to hear how well this cable works if anyone gets one.

19. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I've done this to three cables so far....guess I shouldn't lay down in bed with the charger plugged in while browsing the Internet like I usally do....

20. Mr. Gates macrumors 68020

Mr. Gates

--Redmond --------- ----------------Washington---
    [​IMG]

They all do this after time.

Best to get a third party cord.

[​IMG]

Kensington Power and Sync Cable for iPod and iPhone 1G/3G (Black)

21. modit macrumors 6502

Great minds think alike!

22. 3GEE macrumors regular

3GEE

Does the Kensington work well for syncing? My Apple cord has done the same thing so I bought a couple of the Griffin power cords. They seem to work great for charging in my car or off my laptop but they don't do a good job at syncing. Many times it won't sync or it tells me the iphone isn't recognized. Great for charging, sucks for syncing.

23. Mr. Gates macrumors 68020

Mr. Gates

--Redmond --------- ----------------Washington---
    Seems equal, although I do not know the exact data rate. But at leats it will not fray.

24. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

Mine's happening at the USB end as well. Kinda frustrating, but I'll order 5 of them from monoprice at that price and be set for the next decade. Oddly enough, it only seems to be doing it with the one that came with my 2G iPhone, not the 3G/3GS or any of our iPods. :confused:

25. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Mines frayed right now. I may check out the apple store this weekend :D.