iPhone vs. 8gig iPod touch + Razr

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by redapex, Oct 8, 2007.

1. redapex macrumors newbie

I've been drooling over the iPhone for a while now and my 5th Gen iPod was stolen a couple of weeks ago so im looking to replace it. I currently have a AT&T contract and a Razr and have been playing around with the idea of picking up a iPhone and killing two birds with one stone. However I cant decide what to do. I dont care too much for my Razr, but it works and does what I need it to.

The iPhone is appealing because I need to replace my iPod and like the idea of getting my emails on the go and basically having everything i would need for my day to day life right there (internet, music, phone, ical & email)

What I do like about the touch is its basically the iPhone, a little smaller (call me crazy but compared to the touch and the razr the iPhone just feels bulky) and I dont have to jack up my phone bill every month. I know its only 20 bucks but when im working full time and paying for school & rent that 20 bucks could feed me for a week:rolleyes:

iPhone
    +replaces iPod and Razr
    +more apps
    -phone bill
    -lack of 3g

iPod
    +not a huge phone junkie
    +cheaper
    +no bill
    +smaller
    - still carry 2 devices (what i've been doing forever)
    -cant add events to the cal. app (yet)

I guess basically it comes down to do I want to shell out the extra 100 dollars + 20 a month and carry one device... Or do I save the money, get the touch and pray some decent apps come out for it. Any input? If there were still 4gig iPhones around this would be a little easier...
    Granted I could always just get the touch and have my iPod, save and wait to see if a 3g version comes out next year.

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

The iPhone's "phone" is much better than the RAZR. For one thing, no annoying noise from the backlight or RF feedback the RAZR suffers from.

If you have any form of data plan for the RAZR (like MediaNet), it'll be replaced automatically by the iPhone's data plan. That should offset some of the $20/mo fee.

Don't know if this helped any. You'll enjoy either one, though.

3. yayaba macrumors 6502

How did your iPod get stolen? You're not worried about your iPhone being stolen either?

I'm not trying to sound like an ass. Just trying to understand the environment you are generally in and if there are a lot of thefts in your area (like a college dorm or something), might be better not to get the iPhone.

4. MrT8064 macrumors 6502a

MrT8064

You could always get an iPhone, and unlock it, then just pop in your RAZR sim, then sell the razr, and that would pay for some food;)

5. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

You are crazy. Youd rather carry 2 things instead of one because the iPhone is what, 3mm thicker?? Unless your razr is paper thin, I dont see how this is even a consideration.

6. sparkyms macrumors 65816

Remember, with the touch, you wont get email 'on-the-go' you'll get it when youre in range of wi-fi that's either free or you subscribe to.

7. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

OP said he's already got an AT&T contract so he wouldn't need to unlock it.

I just got my iPhone and moved from a Razr and the difference is night and day. Don't use my 80Gb iPod anymore.

Go with the iPhone.

Cheers.

8. daemontrader macrumors newbie

If you are worried about feeding yourself, I would probably pass on both options :). But, the iPhone would be a no-brainer for me.

9. artalliance macrumors 6502

Wait, does the touch even have mail?
    I don't think so - just Safari webmail I guess.

10. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

Go with the iPhone, and carry a rock in the other pocket. I find rocks to be more useful than RAZR's....

11. Avatar74 macrumors 65816

When it comes down to not being sure if you can shell out an extra $20 or so, then maybe you should consider option (c):

Save your money. Don't buy an iPod or an iPhone. Quell your urge to get a new gadget because those gadgets will still be there or be replaced by even cooler gadgets in the future.

I know you can rationalize one or the other purchase however you want... that's usually how it works since neither are necessities. But frankly, $20 in the pocket is still $20 in the pocket.

It's posts like this that are seriously making me consider teaching a financial responsibility course to young people who think they've got money burning holes in their pockets so badly that they need to spend it just this second.

I know it sounds silly but paving a path to lasting wealth begins with the nickel and dime stuff.

12. Vegeta-san macrumors 6502

Um dude...A friend of mine has a Razr...And his Razr, closed (as we are comparing whole phones to whole phones), is slightly thicker than my iPhone....iPhone is thinner than a Razr

13. Cinemagic macrumors 6502

I have a friend who is agonizing over this very thing. I didn't agonize very much, I left Nextel, paid the $200 early termination fee and bought an iPhone at the $599 price (one month before the price drop).

I don't regret it one bit. I must say, however, when I'm doing something where I just want to listen to music, I still pull out the iPod Nano. A negative about the iPhone is that you cannot use regular earphones (I have the Etymonics) with the iPhone unless you purchase an adapter. The plug is recessed in too far. There are five or six companies selling iPhone headphone adapters ranging from $4.99 to $49. The iPhone does come with headphones with a microphone built in. So you can answer a call while listening to music. But I like the noise cancelling type better.

But I digress. If you keep your Razr and buy an iTouch, you'll still be wanting an iPhone. If you buy the iPhone, you'll have no need or desire for the iTouch.

14. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

EDGE really isnt that bad. I hardly see how 3G should be a decision breaker. I would go with the phone any day. There may be no bill with the ipod, but you only get wifi with the ipod, and i dont know about you, but when i use my phone, i never have wifi (or very rarely)

15. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

If you have a 5G iPod, I assume it's at least the 30Gig, if you are used to carrying a lot of stuff with you, the iPhone nor the Touch (at least right now) can't match.

I was carrying 3 things (2 cell phones - work and personal, and a PDA). Combining my PDA and cell phone it went down to 2. Plus my computer. But with the iPhone I don't have to have my laptop anymore just to check the news, weather, and e-mails! The Touch lacks all those apps...

I say go with the iPhone, unless you are willing to wait to make sure the Touch will have those apps (people are saying they'll be at a price, though) and maybe wait until the 32Gig version for all your stuff?

16. Cinemagic macrumors 6502

I agree with Telp. 3G is no big deal for the iPhone. Apple says that 3G would decrease battery life. I have a MacPro with a 3G AT&T card. For the iPhone, EDGE is more than fast enough. 3G is a little faster, but you're not going to be doing hours of surfing on the iPhone. For the things most people will use the iPhone's Safari browser for, they'll think EDGE is very fast. I had a Nextel i930 smartphone before my iPhone. The Internet experience was painful on it. Not only was it the Windows Mobile version of the Internet, it was painfully slow. Don't let the lack of 3G be a deciding point on your decision.

17. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

My 8GB iPhone replaced my Razr (under AT&T) and 8GB 2nd Generation Nano and I regret it not one whit. So much more convenient and the iPhone does more then both did.

18. redapex thread starter macrumors newbie

I didnt mean to make it sounds like im massively in debt and just blowning money because I can. I dont really have that many bills but I hate just spending money and am really only considering the iPhone because my iPod was stolen out of my car (I live in a pretty good neighborhood and didnt lock my door) The 20 bucks isnt that big of a deal but its still 20 bucks that I could spend hanging out with some friends and not on a phone bill when theres nothing wrong with my current phone at all. Pretty much the iPhone is a want, I dont have to have it. It just comes down to if i value the opportunity cost of a extra 20 bucks in my pocket more than owning a iphone. See, I am working on the nickel and dime thing. :D

19. uPhone macrumors regular

iPhone > iPod + Razr

Why?

iPhone has Speakers + Camera + VOLUME ROKR(THAT IS NEEDED)

with iPhone its just one device

its also great to show off to friends...

and if your not a phone junkie iPhone is perfect for you because it can only carry out basic functions and its a GREAT iPOD.

Now since you already have an ATT contract you have to unlock it or you have to add 2 more years to your existing contract and get the data plan.

If you unlock it you get to keep the same plan and you dont need the HORRIBLE EDGE $20 DATA PLAN.

if you plan on getting an iPhone remember to get a 1.02 iPhone.

20. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Haha, well you guys have convinced me, I'm giving up the my KRZR and iPod touch for the iPhone.

Or it could be the fact that I loved the touch and thought it would be nice to be able to have internet & email everywhere I went, and then I realized I could with the iPhone, and only have to cary one device.

You can decide which it was.

21. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

I am a recent convert from the Razr + 40gig 4th Gen iPod to the iPhone. Yes, carrying my whole music collection in my pocket was nice, but honestly with the ease of making smaller playlists I really didn't need that much space. Right now I have 2 gigs of music on my iPhone and I am happy with that.

As for the phone, I love the iPhone "phone" and I can't compare that to the razr, it is in a totally different league. Sure the Razr's are great for anyone looking for a lower cost feature rich phone, the new Razr V9 is supposed to be amazing (as far as motorola is concerned) but browsing the net and email on the go is nearly impossible with the Razr (the keyboard sucks for typing emails and the browser sucks). I am only paying a few dollars more a month now to have the unlimited internet (sadly, Business discounts can not go towards plans on the iPhone).

Go with the iPhone, you won't regret it! Just be careful, and don't let it get stolen.