iPhone vs Android - why I came back

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Phil A., Oct 29, 2010.

1. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

First a bit of history: I had an iPhone, iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS but then decided I was fed up with the lack of multi-tasking and poor notification system of iOS, and bought myself an HTC Desire.

I loved this phone and convinced myself that Android was a better phone OS than iOS (because of the real multi-tasking, improved notification system and more relaxed marketplace).

The iPhone 4 release came and I was still convinced I'd made the right decision because of "Antenna-gate", and figured the retina display wouldn't be anything of an improvement over the 800x480 AMOLED on the desire.

I hadn't used iOS 4.x and didn't really have much interest in the iPhone world at this point, having immersed myself in the Android way of life.

Things continued along these lines (and there are posts scattered around here somewhere where I repeat my opinion that Android is a better phone OS than iOS), until a couple of weeks ago when my wife dropped and broke my beloved Desire. Because of this, I dug out my old 3GS and started using it again. I upgraded it to 4.1 and thought "this is actually pretty good".

It may not have "true" multitasking but it works as good as if it had with things that are important to run in the background (like Co-Pilot and Spotify) working flawlessly, and the task switcher and folder support really make the phone easier to use.

On top of that, things are just "smoother" - it's hard to describe but the keyboard is more responsive, the mail works better and the browser just seems better for some reason

Soon, I realised that, whilst it's still not perfect, the iPhone really is the best phone available. I thought that this could have been down to the novelty factor of using iOS 4.1, but the more I used it, the more I liked it.

The end result of all this is that I went to my local O2 store yesterday and bought a 32GB iPhone 4 and am completely blown away by it: The build quality is immense and for all the complaints about the antenna, I find the reception is far better with the iPhone 4 (with or without case) than my 3GS.

The retina display is absolutely amazing and whilst the blacks aren't as good in the dark as the HTC (due to it being a backlit display), the clarity is far better. It's also silky smooth to use and feels like a true quality product. On top of that, the camera is the best I've seen on a phone and could almost replace a P+S camera

I'd still like to see a proper notification system on iOS at some point, but I'm happy to forego that for all the other advantages it brings!

So, that's the story of someone who thought the grass was greener on the other side of the fence but found it wasn't really: The HTC desire is a great phone and Android is a great OS, but it's just not quite as good as the iPhone and iOS.

2. Btrthnezr3 macrumors 6502a

Btrthnezr3

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I know what you mean. I can't always describe it but the iPhone just feels right, does things in a way that seem natural. I love mine and though there are some nice android phones out there, i just can't see myself straying.

3. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

A lot of people say the same thing about not being able to put their finger on why, but the iPhone just seems to be better quality.

Welcome back into the light. ;)

4. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

glad to have you back

you made the right decision

:apple:

5. Jack Dangers macrumors regular

I really wanted to like my nexus one. But the laggy UI (even with froyo) unresponsive keyboard, and general quality of apps, were things that were really hard to ignore.
    Somethings I miss, notifications mostly, but all in all I'm happy with the iPhone4. It just feels more stable.

and multi-tasking for me works exactly the same on iOS as did on android, the only difference was that I was always going to the task killer app in Android to close the wayward app.

6. Orlandu macrumors 6502

Orlandu

I had been a hold out for quite a while. I wanted an iPhone but I couldn't justify switching from Sprint. You see, I was on the Friends and Family plan and paid $30 a month for my Blackberry for unlimited mobile to mobile (any carrier, who uses land lines these days), unlimited text and data. So I had a really good thing going on. I was anxiously waiting for the EVO 4G to become available to Sprint Employees so I could purchase one (we had the same limitations on the Friends and Family Plan since it's under an employee).

Well, my wife got fed up of waiting and wanted to buy one on eBay. She got a decent deal for a used one and proceeded to get it activated. Same $30 a month for unlimited mobile to mobile, text, and 4G data! The phone looks great and the large screen is awesome. But the UI is clunky and not as smooth as I thought it would be. So we were at the outlet mall and walked by the Apple store. I asked my wife if we could just see if they had any iPhone 4s in stock. We went in and sure enough they did. After trying out the iPhone 4 again now that I'd had time to play with the EVO, I decided I wanted the iPhone. It was so much smoother, more responsive, much better screen and easier to fit in a pocket.

So now I pay $66 a month (23% employer group discount through UnitedHealthcare) and at first had a 2GB data limit instead of unlimited 4G... But I got on an unlimited plan anyway and I can enjoy everything there is to do on my iPhone 4. Better games, better apps, better screen. Just better.

7. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

WHy is it that laggy though, this has been a common complaint same for me when i tried the HTC Hero. Everyone says it lacks polish and is often laggy.

I mean iPhone uses 600-800MHz CPUs and still manages to be more responsive/faster than its Android counterparts which are on 1GHz processors and up to 768MB of RAM.

Does Android not implement GPU acceleration for its UI? is it just clunky programming or is just badly developed apps that drag down performance?

I was actually considering picking up a Nexus One on ebay to give Android another try as a second phone to my iPhone but after reading this thread i might not even bother anymore.

8. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I've had all the models of the iPhone, but I've also tried a few Android devices (G1, myTouch, Droid, Nexus One, Droid X) - the Droid X being the best.

But I came back.

The iPhone definitely is a device that "just works". Android has a lot of pluses over the iPhone, but at the end of the day I just want a phone that I don't need to worry about. Often I had to hard reset my Droid X if an application crash happened (often with Android's music app). At the end of the day I like that with the iPhone I can just double-tap Home and hit play. Should only be that simple.

9. err404 macrumors 68020

There are many reasons, but here is one way to look at it - Think of it in term of PC gaming vs console gaming. PC's are far faster, but it's very difficult to take full advantage of the hardware without risking compatibility with other devices. With a few exceptions, developers often take a "Lowest Common Denominator" approach to API's and features.
    PC games manage to look better primarily because of the much faster systems. Compare the best PC games from the era where a high end PC was similar specs to an XBox 360, and you'll see that the PC looks far worse then the XBox games of today.
    Android doesn't have a hardware advantage to overcome the iPhone's benefit from hardware homogeny.

10. Savor Suspended

Savor

I say once Android phones start using Tegra 2, the battery life should start being amazing on them. I am really looking forward to the Motorola Olympus and PS phone. Nvidia provided the GPU for the PS3 and the Asus Android tablet claims 15 hours of usage (sans music playing). Tegra 2 is far more power efficient than the Snapdragon. The problem with Google is they are inexperienced at making software. They are great at providing free services, not actual products. Apple, Microsoft, and even Palm seem to outclass Android in many areas with their latest mobile OSes. I'm hoping manufacturers start using far more responsive touchscreens and Google really improves the OS with the (G)ingerbread, (H)oneycomb, and (I)ce Cream updates. Google just don't have the software savvy as either Apple or Microsoft, and they are too lenient where fragmentation and bad quality control occurs. If a manufacturer like HTC or Samsung messes up, Android gets blamed. But Android seems to always push hardware advancement. Nexus Two or Nexus S is exciting to hear about. I love that Google can brand out one device to use as a benchmark. If the next Nexus phone gets sold at Best Buy unlocked, it should sell better than the N1. But understand Google is using this as "their" phone as a guinea pig and benchmark. Most of Google's revenue comes from ads, not actually selling a tangible product. As long as people continue to use their search engine, they will always be fine. Tegra 2 will break barriers in battery life. I hope the PS phone uses this too. Alot of big things will be coming from the Android camp in 2011 thanks to Nvidia. Ironic that Microsoft Zune HD is still faster, has better battery life, and the UI is silky smooth than many of the Androids carrying Snapdragons.

With that said, it is hard to stray away from iPhone for me because Apple really takes the time to make a great product. Integration is second to none. I'm not crazy always depending on iTunes, but it is the best media organizer. I am too invested in my apps that I can't just let them go even if my next phone won't be an iPhone. I do like what I'm seeing from WP7, but that should take some time for more refinement. Give it another 18 months. And webOS is fun, but the build quality and lack of app support keeps Palm from being a poppy sensation.

Personally for me, I am not always about which is the most popular in sales. Macs aren't popular, but it doesn't mean it isn't a great product to many people. A Nexus One and Palm Pre Plus can still be great to people even if they are no iPhone killer dubbed by the media who always need to pit and compare things with each other. Only blind fanboys and their pride care about any of this. Now I see people rag on Sony when they were the king of multimedia devices just a decade ago and destroying Nintendo and Microsoft in home console sales. Tomorrow's bridesmaid could be yesterday's favorite. Even Motorola made a comeback thanks to Android and Verizon's campaigning. Hard to predict a horse race. No such thing as an iPhone killer and Android is not going away anytime soon because it can be an inexpensive alternative for people. There are already $99 Android tablets being sold at Walgreens! But when it comes to software support, sales is important. I just don't see iOS ever falling out of the top 2-3 in sales and efficiency. The walled garden just works for alot of people. But there is also alot of people far more tech savvy than how we were 10 years ago thanks to learning them off the net, so there is a market for geek phones that may be more obscure, but will come in many form factors. Remember how not many people knew how to jailbreak and then it became so easy to customize our iPhones? iOS would never really dominate the mobile space the same way Microsoft did with Windows in the desktop market. Cell phone users are in the billions, so a few OSes can survive because we all have different preferences and many of us are fickle that can change phones in a couple years. Open and closed will live together hand in hand because we all have preferences.

11. brendu macrumors 68020

I have been on the fence about switching from sprint to att. I have a pre, well had a pre... or well actually ive had 6 pre's and the current one is at the repair center so im done with it. Love webOS but the hardware sucks and HP/palm is too far behind to justify wasting any more time with it.

SO, ive been spending a lot of time looking at the EVO/ Epic on sprint or the iPhone. With my employee discount (15%) using 2GB data and 1500 texts, I can have a monthly plan of about $87.00 for the iphone. The EVO with the employee discount and warranty would be about $77.00. I really think android is slick and has some one ups to iOS but like others have said, the iPhone is much more refined and "just works". To me that is worth the 10 dollars a month. Im pretty sure im gonna go pick up an iPhone pretty soon and since I like to tinker with my gizmos (HUGE reason I was looking at android) I will jailbreak the iPhone and see what it can do...

...jailbreaking threads here I come...

12. err404 macrumors 68020

I don't see hardware specs being a defining factor. Specs of top tier phones have been very similar across the various manufactures. There is little reason to think that Android will out pace iOS on this front.
    In general I expect the trend will continue where the iPhone is in the front of the pack upon release and falls slightly behind before the next refresh. Specs will never be significantly different between OS's.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

14. tdog09 macrumors member

...you can take a pile of dog turd and throw it into a ferrari...but in the end it's still a pile of dog turd!

15. iBaloney macrumors 6502

iBaloney

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Good to hear that Ur back man. The iPhone cant be described into words. U have to experience it for itself. That goes out to all the iPhone haters

16. sziehr macrumors 6502a

I had an iphone 3g through where i worked. It was amazing the job went the way most have with the economy down. I kept it for awhile after the job went away but ATT was just to much to bear. The droid hit the market and back to the family plan on VZW. I can only say that i LOATH the droid. I am on my like 5th droid to date for a whole host of manufacturing issues. The OS is ok but it is so slow and clunky that i can hardly use the device to do what it was designed for to communicate. I can not use the physical or virtual keyboard like IOS. I can not stand the constant crashing of third party apps that should not be crashing. I know crashes happen but it just seems that they happen less frequent on IOS. In general had ATT been able to provide service where i moved to i would never have left the fold. But i am hear to tell you android does not equal IOS. The rise of android is driven in part by the fact that VZW has only 1 option droid or dumb phone. WebOS is good but developers are not there, BlackBerry but again developers are not there. The developers are on IOS and Android thus these are the platforms to get apps not just first some times at all. I can not wait for either ATT or Apple to fix the issue or lack of service. Apple with a vzw iphone or ATT by actually having network service where you say you do on your map.

17. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Once you've gone iPhone, you never go....

18. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Ok, that's nice, but I regret to inform you that we can no longer contact the assassin we assigned to you.

Look, once the job is ordered, that's the end of it. There's no way for us to back out now. And even if we could we wouldn't get our money back so, you know...

You shouldn't have left.

19. Al3x87 macrumors member

well, welcome back... i was an android fan too until iOS 4:)

20. SL4VE macrumors 6502

i did the same as the OP. went from 3G to Desire to 4. desire keyboard was rubbish i just couldnt type on it and when you click on a small link in the browser it never hits the right one whereas by some miracle the iPhone always gets the right one without extra zooming.... although i miss the desires browser the double tap and autofit text is really good, wish the iPhone did that

btw Market maybe open and unrestricted compared to App Store, but who cares market is ****

21. Phil A. thread starter Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

:D
    Post of the day!

22. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

The HTC Desire is one of the nicer Android phones, but it isn't a premier Android Device. There are at least half a dozen phones that have come out after it with better specs.

That is a manufacturer question and not an Android question. Some phones (like the Galaxy S/Vibrant/Captivate/Fascinate/Epic do have robust video chipsets that deliver better graphic performance than the iPhone. Other manufacturers have been using last-generation processors (like that in the Desire and NexusOne) which aren't as fast. The NexusOne came out in Jan 2010 between the 3GS and iPhone 4, and its graphics performance is right between those two phones (as it should be).

The NexusOne isn't the latest and greatest. Rumors abound that Gingerbread (Android 2.3 or 3.0) devices are set to be released in December with upgraded processors. The Galaxy S/Vibrant/Captivate/Fascinate/Epic phones were released around the same time as the iPhone and they beat it in terms of specs and capabilities.

Having preferences is fine, but if you can't approach the subject of phones with objectivity then you'll forever remain a fan-boy instead of an informed consumer.

Android is progressing pretty quickly, and news/information from 8 months ago is obsolete.

If you want a second phone, then I suggest the motorola Defy. It isn't the fastest or latest android device... but the phone will be water-proof and shock proof, so you'll have something to fall back on after you crack your iScreen.

23. sweetice2007 macrumors 6502

same here, had all the diff iphones, switched to a htc desire, lasted 4-6 weeks - sold it and waitied onw hite iphone - no white one so went and brought the black one last night :)

24. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

When did you switch? Yeah - I remember you being a Droid X advocate, along with another X user (I think, at least :confused:). Glad to hear you're back! :)

Leave, troll! :mad:

25. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

I'm back too. Tried Sprint and the EVO, but the battery life and overall "me too" feeling of Android irritated me.

Two ETFs later (one for leaving ATT and one for leaving Sprint) and I'm back.

Annoying saga. Don't recommend it.