iPhone vs. iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SnowLeopard2008, Jul 4, 2008.

1. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

iPhone 3G or iPod Touch?

I have 300-400 saved up and I'm debating whether I should buy the a 2G or 3G iPhone or just a plain old iPod Touch. What's your take?

2. Petoz macrumors 6502

Petoz

If you have £300 -£400, definitely an iPhone 3G when it is available. Then you get everything an iPod touch can do, with the addition of built in speakers and the ability to make calls/text/everything a phone does. All in one device.

3. TROY7 macrumors newbie

Keep in mind that that amount is only going to cover the cost of the iPhone. You'll have to pay more than that for a plan every month.

4. syclonefx macrumors regular

syclonefx

I like the 3G iPhone. It has more features than the iPod Touch. But if you need more space then the iPod Touch.

5. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

go for the 3G iphone. if you are eligible for the $199/$299 price, you get a great phone for a great price.

6. SnowLeopard2008 thread starter macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I mentioned unlocked iPhone 3G. AT&T announced official unlocked iPhone 3G for 600-700 USD in US. And as a note, I have 300-400 USD not euro. And I have T-Mobile, my dad renewed our contract for 2 years and got a phone to replace my smashed razr. broke the new phone and got this unlocked lg on ebay. hate it tho, so thats my incentive for the iphone 3G. but should I go for the old iPhone? it's still got the built in speakers and mic and stuff. Just no 3G and GPS. camera, screen, etc the same right?

7. Petoz macrumors 6502

Petoz

If you can't afford the iPhone 3G pay & go, and can't get a contract, then it should be an easy choice for an iPod touch.

8. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

AT&T is not offering an unlocked version of the iPhone.

9. SnowLeopard2008 thread starter macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Yes they are. Yahoo posted it, so it must be official. I'll follow up with a link. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080701/ap_on_hi_te/tec_at_t_iphone

600 for 8Gb and 700 for 16GB. Prices are USD. International prices are a little more pricey than US.

10. SnowLeopard2008 thread starter macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

is it true that Apple is offering the annual promo for college students to buy a mac and get a free ipod to rid themselves of the inventory for new ipod(s)? I'm sticking with the iPod touch after much consideration but I'm gonna wait until they implement the 2.0 software onto it. I don't like to pay $10 just for being impatient a few days. but is there a new ipod touch around the corner?

11. Petoz macrumors 6502

Petoz

I believe the US apple store are giving away a free ipod with a mac, but $300 or $400 won't buy you a mac. So that isn't really relevant is it? I had an ipod touch. It was a very good buy. I hope you enjoy yours. Not sure about a new ipod touch. That would be in another part of macrumors.

12. SnowLeopard2008 thread starter macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

thanks for all the info. i'm going to wait until the 2.0 software and if Apple doesn't have any plans or announcements, then I'll just pop to the apple store and purchase an ipod touch. thanks so much!

13. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

No they are not.

The iPhone 3G for $599 and $699 (for which the release date has not been announced) is specifically labelled a "no-contract required option," not unlocked as you suggest.

In fact, here's a quote from the Yahoo link you provided, emphasis mine.

It sounds like contract free is what you're looking for anyway, but don't confuse it with unlocked. Either way, the iPod touch will probably suit you better.

14. SnowLeopard2008 thread starter macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

true... sorry for the mix-up. but yea, like i said above, i'm going to wait until the 2.0 software is preloaded on the touch. thats another week or so.

15. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

They are currently giving away (so to speak) 8GB iPod Touches with the purchase of a qualifying computer (everything but the Mac Mini, basically). However you'd need the $$ for the computer, plus the $$ for the iPod Touch because Apple makes you buy the iPod Touch, and then they mail you check for $300.

I don't think the iPod Touch will come with the 2.0 software for awhile... but you never know.

I think Apple will bump up the capacity (and maybe add new features) somewhere from October - January 2009 (Macworld). If it doesn't come before the holiday rush, then it will definitely come during Macworld.

16. friekunater macrumors 6502

@extraextra:

they will sell iPod touches with 2.0 once 2.0 is released... not any time after that

17. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

A little off topic, but I just want to say regarding the iPod touch rebate: I bought the student promo Mac and iPod touch on June 23 and received the check on July 1. The entire rebate process was completed online in the Apple store at the time of purchase and no UPCs had to be cut out. A little over a week turn-around for the check. It was by far, the best rebate experience I've ever had.

18. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

Talking about the UK here:

Last time the iPt was upgraded with the extra apps, only the Apple stores had them available preloaded for ages. Most other places had the older ones with the price reduced by the same amount it would cost to upgrade them. Have fun!

19. Petoz macrumors 6502

Petoz

Yeh. I bough my iPod touch from John Lewis (minus the price of the January software update), and had to then buy the update on iTunes. No problem really, as it makes difference in cost. Look out for the price reductions.

20. SnowLeopard2008 thread starter macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

thanks, i did purchase an ipod touch, and it was refurb from apple.com and it came with the January Update. I later installed 2.0 and then 2.0.1, which came out yesterday i think.

21. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

The build quality and battery life on the iPhone 3G is much better than the iPod Touch. The screen on the iPod Touch is horrible, while the screen on the iPhone 3G looks great, at least four times better.

Also, it's really sweet to have the "internet in your pocket" and you can use your apps, the App Store, Safari and everything everywhere. I hope that helps.

22. manhattanboy macrumors 6502a

manhattanboy

you can always cancel your contract... that's what apple said!

23. SnowLeopard2008 thread starter macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

thanks for all the feedback! I bought the refurb for a reason, it's cheap and allows me to upgrade, in the sense that later I can sell it and buy an iPhone 3G. I am planning to buy an iPhone 3G later this year, around December. And I'll just sell my touch or let my dad use it.

24. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Should have used that money and bought "first gen" iPhone. I am not sure why that was never brought up...

Much better deal than getting a Touch.

25. SnowLeopard2008 thread starter macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

again, i don't think I'll feel good if I bought a used 1st gen iPhone. I'd have to hack it and everything. I want the full experience and not the dodgy feeling you get when you hack things.