iPhone vs N95

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by question fear, Aug 21, 2007.

1. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

iPhone vs N95

It's a nailbiter.

spoiler: the iphone wins. first step, cnet prizefights. tomorrow, the world!

2. weeman macrumors 6502

Whooo, I just spent 10 minutes reading that. It was intense and definitely real close.

3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The 3G n95 that just cleared the FCC is going to put a hurting on Apple. That is unless it weighs in at the same price the existing one does. However I thought it peculiar that in the Navigation round the iPhone's full keyboard wasn't mentioned as superior to the Nokia's physical keypad.

4. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

they sort of neglected the fact that the iphone has 50x the memory.

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Then again, I can walk into a phone shop today and get a 3G Nokia 95 for free with contract in the UK... but still have no clue on when/where I'll ever get an iPhone. :rolleyes:

6. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Swappable Micro SD cards, up to 4GB, make that argument irrelevant. The downside is that you have to remove the battery to get to them. The non-US n95 comes with 8GB onboard memory.

I love my iPhone, but the 3G n95 is a hell of a rig.

7. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

I still can't figure out why people want handsets with 3G. The network in the US has paltry coverage at best. And just ask BlackJack users what their battery life is like. My buddy works in an at&t store and says that they NEVER recommend any phone with 3G to customers because they always come right back to complain. Sure EDGE is slow, but I'll take that over no signal/battery.

And on the CNET thing, those guys are kind of a joke. If the N95 was made by MS, they'd rate it higher than the iPhone. That's just the way they do things over there. Everything is an iKiller to them.... puhleeze...

8. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Ironically... when EDGE came along, and WiFi in handsets, the exact same arguments were used: why would anyone want faster speed in exchange for less battery life?

Hey, almost twenty years ago I said that the Web would fail, because who would ever wait long enough to download pages at 9600 baud ?

Never say never. And never say "I don't know why anyone else would want xxx". Because what you or I want, isn't necessarily what a zillion others want :)

9. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

You should have asked me...my college "computer" was a VT10 with a 2400 baud modem. Excellent for MUD'ing and using Lynx as a text browser was oodles of fun even if you had to wait.

There's a pretty big difference though. The battery is the lifeblood of the phone. It doesn't matter how fast you do things if your phone is dead when you need it.

10. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

I meant to say "right now" (sorry).... I'm a dreamer too, but right NOW, 3G is lagging.

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Yes sir. When I went from 110 to 300, then 600 and 1200, I was thrilled.

Thank goodness everything was text back then :eek:

Truth. That's why swappable battery = Good Idea in Phones. I just got an extended battery for one of my dev phones, and the 30% extra juice is great for EVDO. I like having the choice.

Maybe it's a Tim Allen kind of thing. Metrosexuals are more concerned about slim size :D

12. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I've had a 3G phone for nearly a year - I get about 6 days standby time and that's talking a little each day, some texting, occasional photos and some web browsing. Most phones in Europe are 3G these days and I've heard few people complain about battery life. I think it's a red herring...

13. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

At least you can remove the battery. I heard that you cannot do this on the iPhone. Can someone confirm this? Thanks.

14. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

Sure you can remove the iPhone's battery..with a blowtorch, some vice grips, and a crow bar.

15. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

And when you were up to 1200, sometimes you had to drop back down to 300 or lower due the line quality!

Back on topic, interesting article.

16. darngooddesign macrumors G3

So give us EDGE and 3G. When you have no coverage, or want to conserve your battery you turn off 3G and use EDGE. Much like you do with WiFi.

Quite simple really.

17. worldwearyeyes macrumors regular

18. Ninja Dom macrumors 6502

Ninja Dom

While the Nokia N95 has plenty of groovy functions, the Apple iPhone has showed ALL phone manufacturers that it has the smoothest user interface of any mobile phone. It has also showed everybody else how to do the internet and music playback "properly" on a mobile phone.

User Interface makes up a huge part of mobile phones. No point having 1000's of functions if accessing or using them is difficult or unintuitive. Or if the buttons don't feel good, or if the screen doesn't allow you to use the functions to its full potential, or if the menu speed isn't there, or if the menu's don't make logical sense.

The iPhone has the finest User Interface of any mobile phone before it and watch how many other manufacturers (including Nokia) will be following the iPhone UI with their 2008/2009 mobile phones.

19. SpankWare macrumors regular

I switched to AT&T from Verizon to get an iPhone. I brought my wife over as well but not wanting to drop that much cash on a new phone for her I opted for a Nokia N75. The N75 runs the Symbian OS and I can install apps for her and all that jazz. However she can't or won't use half of it's features because it's more difficult to use. Normally I would argue features over usability (as I'm fairly technical and usability issues don't normally hinder me) but having had an iPhone for a few months I can't. The usability of the iPhone and it's interface make it the best phone I have ever used. I feel guilty now when I see my wife use her N75. I may have to break down and buy her an iPhone too.

20. semi5 macrumors newbie

The n95 has no qwerty keyboard. I would be very hard pressed to spend hundreds of dollars on a smartphone that requires me to use t9 to type my emails. No thanks.

21. OW22 macrumors 6502

OW22

Lets be honest, the web browser alone makes the iPhone a winner.

it IS also fully customisable, lets fact it we're all doing it on our jailbreaked phones. We have everything you could need. I'm in Europe and came from a 3G phone and DO NOT notice any real difference. I certainly do not miss 3G at all.

Ultimately these contests will always be determined as to what you actually want your phone to do...

22. sananda macrumors 68020

why are they saying the n95 doesn't have 3G? the ones sold here in england have 3g...have they turned it off in america?

23. mpw Guest

*cough*E90*cough* Smartest of the smart.:)

24. mannix87 macrumors 6502

for business applications, I'd go with the E90 (successor to the Nokia 9500 communicator) rather than the N95. I'm using the E61 (qwerty) now w/c is a poor cousin of sorts of the E90 but has most of the features offered by the E90. so far, so good.

the iPhone's still not available hereabouts except for the hacked versions, so I'm still waiting for any of the local carriers here to bring it in.

25. slick316 macrumors 6502

My iPhone is currently not working, and its not repairable by warranty, so I bought a AT&T Tilt.

I agree that the N95 would be better with a qwerty keyboard, that's a deal breaker for me.

However, its hard to look past certain features of other phones when you have an iPhone.

I like the fact that my phone lets me send an SMS to multiple recipients, and also tells me how many characters I have used on the SMS, so I know whether or not I went over the 160 character limit or not.

I like being able to send MMS messages and receive them without having to go to viewmymessages.com.

I like being able to make videos and send it to people.

I like being able to open and edit word/excel docs, this has come in handy a few times.

I like having GPS on my device. I drove to Tulsa and wasn't familiar with the city. I wanted to grab some food, so I quickly had my phone locate me, and then list the closest restaurants to where I was.

I like having a speakerphone thats actually audible.

I should also point out that I talk on my about 2 hours a day total, and have to charge it every two days, about the same as the iphone (iphone batt life is better though, even when I watch videos on it).

I still like my iPhone, but I like the new things I can do on the Tilt. If a new update releases that introduces new features, I might get the iPhone fixed and revert back to it, if not, I'll send it off to my sister. No doubt the iPhone is a great phone, but since I do not care for the iPod part of it as much as I thought I would, something like the Tilt is better suited for me.