iPhone vs Nexus S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AFPoster, Dec 14, 2010.

1. AFPoster macrumors 65816

I have an iPhone 4 and I love it to death, no other phone or product would I rather be with than Apple. With that being said the Nexus S is a nice looking for in some ways and it seems like the closest competitor since the launch of the first iPhone. Anyone getting one or thoughts?

2. aohus, Dec 14, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2010

aohus macrumors 68000

Nexus S is a good phone. Timely and multiple updates without dealing with carrier's bloatware

However, 2011 will bring an onslaught of new next gen smartphones, both iPhone and Android(s) alike.

Engadget gave it a 8/10. (no product has received a perfect 10/10 on engadget, yet)

TechCrunch gave it a glowing review as well

But seriously, its going to be on T-Mobile. Would you want to switch carriers just for a phone? On second thought.. i know many in here would.. There is no solid confirmation that an unlocked Nexus S is compatible with AT&T.

Taken from TechCrunch conclusion,
    The bottom line is this. If you are an iPhone user this isn’t going to make you switch. If you’re an Android user you will want this phone more than any other. If you’re currently neither, we recommend that you go with the Nexus S. It is better than the iPhone in most ways. What you lose with the slightly less impressive screen and iOS’s slightly slicker user experience you will more than make up for with the Nexus S’s ability to actually make phone calls that don’t drop and Google’s exceptional Navigation and voice input applications. The fact that the phone is unlocked and can be used abroad with other carriers is also a very big plus.

3. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 65816

From my understanding is this phone will work with AT&T and as you have said it comes unlocked for $519 (excluding tax) so you can put it on any network. I am going to buy it just to resell on eBay, pocket money is always good during the holidays. Then again a phone that makes calls and has service would be nice to, even if it's on Verizon instead of AT&T.

4. aohus macrumors 68000

This will NOT work on AT&T, at least for 3G spectrum. You will only get 2G using Nexus S on AT&T. This is confirmed.

5. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

6. aohus macrumors 68000

7. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

8. tirk macrumors 6502

tirk

True of almost anything new produced in the last couple of decades, surely.

(Though sadly I'm still waiting for reality TV to disappear.)

9. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Here is what I like Nexus S

1. This will be always the first phone to receive an update from google because it is google's flag ship phone. They will always push out updates on this phone first.

Here are things that I hate about Nexus S

1. No SD card slot with no option for 32GB.
    2. No HSPA+ support for T-mobile.
    3. It's unlocked, but BS and useless anyway because it only works with T-mobile 3G not AT&T's 3G.

4. It's almost 2011, the specs are so 2010. Wait for 2-3 months and you will start to see dual-core phones with much better camera

5. No HD recording from the start. WTF? It doesn't shoot 720P Video

If you have T-mobile, then this is the best Android phone yet, but it won't be for long. I will give it about 3-4 months before Motorola, HTC, Samsung and LG will bring out dual core phones with better specs.

10. labman macrumors 604

labman

try one try the other. look at the features and what is important. then which ever you like better is your new phone!

11. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

No it isnt. It will just have the newest OS which is big but i do have Froyo on mine now using a custom ROM.
    You already listed things it wont have plus you didnt add that it wont have the Gorilla Glass that the Vibrant does have. Plus the Vibrant has HD recording and the Micro SD slot. I can get a unlock code easily for mine as well but i have no interest in using it on AT&T.

The ONLY thing i like about the Nexus S over my Vibrant is it will get Gingerbread out of the box and get any other updates faster. Other than that, i have no interest in it because it is the same phone otherwise.

The My Touch 4G is a good phone as well but it dont have the Super AMOLED screen.

Id wait for the newer phones coming next year.

12. Gordon Gekko macrumors regular

Not that long ago cell phones didn't do anything except send and receive voice calla.

13. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Vibrant is still stuck at 2.1 software. Who knows when it will get 2.2 and god knows if it will get 2.3 by 2011. The software update is a huge deal for some people. Updates are not just faster. There is a huge difference in time frame. Galaxy S phones don't even have 2.2 yet. To me, that is pretty big deal. I am not cheering for Nexus S at all. But, I think I would take Nexus S over vibrant any day. God damn samsung takes so long to bring updates on Galaxy S models. 2.2 Update was due on September and now we are in december. And now, we have 2.3 out.

14. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

Add the infomercial to that list. Damn FCC

15. Vegastouch, Dec 14, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2010

Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

That is the ONLY advantage it has. Other than that the Vibrant has all those things that dont come with the Nexus S and if you are willing, you can get 2.2 in many different variables. I am running a custom ROM of 2.2 right now, as are many. Hec i already have the new overhauled Market on my phone and it isnt even released yet.

[​IMG]

Word is the Galaxy phones are suppposed to get 2.3 but when is anybodies guess.
    Lots of rumors going around that they may get 2.3 before 2.2. Who knows but i do know that the Devs will have custom 2.3's out and ill use those if i have to so one way or the other, ill have Gingerbread till i get one of the newer phones with a Dual Core.

I wont be getting a Nexus just because it comes with 2.3 because i have 32 GB of space in my Vibrant and can go to 48 if i want and i have HD recording, Gorilla glass, and i have deleted all the bloatware that came with it like the Nexus will come without and i can unlock it in about 2 minutes if i want to and do what Nexus will do on AT&T. But i dont have any use for AT&T. These are basically the same phones and the Nexus isnt even supported with HSPA+. So we are even there too.

I do understand what your saying but it isnt the best Android phone T-Mobile has. If your willing to root and get the updates yourself which is the only thing that seperates the two. Get that and my phone is better.
    And im sure HTC will get the updates soon after 2.3 comes out so the My Touch 4G will ave it as well. I dont get why Samsung is so slow. No reason a phone built by them can come out of the box with 2.3 but we cant get an update soon after.

16. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 65816

No offense but I am glad it won't work on AT&T. I hate AT&T they're horrible where I am at and everywhere I go. If I get this hello Verizon! In Cali and North Carolina all the way down to Florida (where I travel for work including the mid-west) AT&T is horrible for me on my iPhone 4. So I am excited for this, however I have no desire to buy it. Devil's advocate I am sorry.

Also No SD card I like, I don't want to worry about having to buy extra **** for my phone, not necessary. My iPhone 4 is 16gb so I am satisfied with that.

It does suck however that new phones will have dual core, but doesn't that seem a little much for a cell phone???

17. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

Does the Nexus S use PENTILE MATRIX? I'm betting that it does, so in essence, it's yet another Galaxy S but with firsthand Google software support.

The biggest problems with the Galaxy S are NOT software/OS related anyway. PENTILE MATRIX display = FAIL.

Give us a SAMOLED with full RGB sub-pixel matrix, and I'll line up to buy it.

Otherwise, if I'm dying for Android, I'll just wait for whatever flagship Motorola has in the pipes because it will likely be an IPS LCD.

18. aohus macrumors 68000

Dual Core doesn't necessarily mean 2x CPU therefore twice the speeds. Dual Core processors were designed to lower power consumption, with lower voltages, thereby giving better battery life. This post should clear up any misnomers about Dual Core Processors. I am definitely waiting for dual core phones coming early next year. They were supposed to be ready by Q4 of this year, but the software wasn't ready (android 2.3 and honeycomb).

[​IMG]

19. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Yep, dual core is going to be awesome. That's what im waiting for. Android with a great battery life will be sweet. Id be pretty shocked if Apple iP5 dont come with dual core. If not, man they will be really be lagging behind and i cant see them getting that far behind. Though i think the battery life on those are better than Android's .

20. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Speaking of dual core .... What about heat issues? Would that be a problem or not?

21. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

remember first and for most the nexus S and Nexus 1 are dev phones. As such they are set up for that fact. Gingerbread brought in the option to not have SD cards in the phone so they need to make sure the dev phone has that to test since none of the others on the market have that API.

Remember it is a dev phone that the public could buy but it is working as a dev.

22. aohus macrumors 68000

heat will actually be less of an issue with dual core phones. with single-core cpu, you're putting full load aka max voltage to the phone. with dual core, ure offsetting the load with 2 cpu's. this results in less max voltage being used, therefore less heat

23. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Techcrunch's tidbit about new users is probably true.

24. Alisstar macrumors 6502

Alisstar

Is battery life important to you? I hear the Nexus S' battery life is worst than even the original Nexus. Is that true?

That being said, I value battery life on a phone. And the iPhone 4's battery life is quite good.

25. wikoogle, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2010

wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

Google screwed up. They should have waited an extra month and packed the Nexus S with a Tegra 2 (Dual A9 + Nvidia GPU) or Marvell Tri-Core 628 and a hdmi port.

Instead, they went with an old processor and gpu that's about to be defunct in a month or two. That was a really stupid move on their part.

Rather than launching one of the most powerful phones of 2011, they launched one of weakest.

Also, no SD slot, no support for AT&T's network, and no HD recording. What the hell google. It's like you have zero respect for your own brand name. If a company with your market capital makes a flagship device, the least you can do is make sure it's not laughably behind spec wise.