iPhone Wallpaper - Black is amazing

hifromtomorrow

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
I have just for the first time, after some years owning various iterations of iPhones, just set the background (wallpaper) of my 4s as jet black.

It looks AMAZING!!!

The apps just pop and with the screen set to almost full brightness, I have fallen in love with my phone again.
I recall how wonderful a piece of industrial design I thought my original 4 was, and I am now thinking it all over again with my 4s, and it excites me that in just a month or two, I will own a new one.

And i will be sure to set the background to jet black. I am never changing wallpaper again!

A black background looking so good may be old news, but it is exciting new news to me. Try it if you haven't already.

Last edited:

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
I hate iPhone backgrounds. Mine has and will always remain jet black. I do experiment with black wood grain floor like images though. I like those.

hifromtomorrow

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
Ehh...dont like the contrast
Yeah I get what you are saying, but I reckon the apps look clearer and brighter and I love the look, but respect opinions that it is a little full-on contrast wise.

I am still staring at it and still hooked.

I tried all white, once I realised how good all black looked, wow, mistake.

Last edited:

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
At the alternatives section.
there are some really cool dark wallpapers (as in dark grey) with few details thus no pollution which look great and i think cause the effect you are after. the plain black is OK but perhaps too dull.

R1PPER

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
Im a designer and Dark backgrounds have always been used in PRO UI. I hate seeing iphones with hideous wallpapers, they make my eyes bleed. You dont have to go pure black if you search black "iphone wallpaper black" there are a number of slick alternatives.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
I have just for the first time, after some years owning various iterations of iPhones, just set the background (wallpaper) of my 4s as jet black.

It looks AMAZING!!!

The apps just pop and with the screen set to almost full brightness, I have fallen in love with my phone again.
I recall how wonderful a piece of industrial design I thought my original 4 was, and I am now thinking it all over again with my 4s, and it excites me that in just a month or two, I will own a new one.

And i will be sure to set the background to jet black. I am never changing wallpaper again!

A black background looking so good may be old news, but it is exciting new news to me. Try it if you haven't already.

Agreed. It's looks brilliant. I have 3 rows of icons. I created my wallpaper in Photoshop and added my website name at the bottom in white. It looks nice. Blacks and dark greys look good as wallpaper.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010

bigjnyc

macrumors 603
Apr 10, 2008
I find this so funny because when people weren't able to put wallpapers on the original iPhone it was constant complaining about the dull black background.:D

Timzer

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2011

It looks AMAZING!!!

Yes Black backgrounds are AMAZING. Especially TRUE PURE BLACKS like on a SuperAMOLED screen (black=pixel off). I've always had my 4S on an all black background, clean and simple. So when I got my S3 and put on a black background, it was an instant OMG!!! WOW!!! I got my lock screen on solid pure black, and NOTHING compares.
And as an added Bonus, black saves battery life on a SuperaAmoled display.

hifromtomorrow

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
Have you SEEN the labels on some beers?!?!

----------

For years I have just used one of the default options. For a long time that beach background. But I went black, and I am... You know where I am going... Not back!

carefreecork

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2012
UK
Have you SEEN the labels on some beers?!?!

----------

For years I have just used one of the default options. For a long time that beach background. But I went black, and I am... You know where I am going... Not back!
I see where you are coming from -tried it for myself and I liked it, but something was missing! I only use three rows of on the screen so I prepared a wallpaper for myself:

http://s1155.photobucket.com/albums/p551/carefreecork/?action=view&current=wallpaper.png

Feel free to use it. :)