Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Also, please don't accuse ME of something I never did, because you didn't agree with it, no need to call me a liar or a hater.

You laid out theory which you believe in, I just stated mine. There are 5 total options of iPhones that one can buy that are above the ASP of 796. I find it hard to believe, that even with the X (selling more then any other iPhone since it was available) that the ASP is only 796 if the X was doing as GREAT as everyone believes it to be.

In the end, you may be right or you may be wrong, as well as I may be right or I may be wrong, does it really matter? The numbers are the numbers.
Yeah, and they all sold less than the iPhone X. Confirmed by the CEO and supported by the ASP. We don't need theories here.

iPhone X = best selling iPhone from Nov 4 - January 31.
[doublepost=1517870204][/doublepost]
Nobody here suggested Cook was lying and the figures indeed speak for themselves.
I'm too lazy to find the conspiracy theorists, but there were plenty telling him Cook can't lie.

I'm glad you agree the numbers speak and Cook's comments confirm.

kdarling

macrumors P6
There are 5 total options of iPhones that one can buy that are above the ASP of 796. I find it hard to believe, that even with the X (selling more then any other iPhone since it was available) that the ASP is only 796 if the X was doing as GREAT as everyone believes it to be.

True, all Cook said was that it sold higher than any other iPhone model. Of course, "sold" to Apple overwhelmingly describes a device that has been shipped to a retailer, not sold to an end user. It would make sense that retailers stocked up on the X more than on other phones. That easily explains it "selling" more.

So next quarter, since retailer stock is high, X sales from Apple to stores should drop like a rock. Especially since, as Apple put it, production and demand are now equal (and production was reportedly cut in half).

In fact, Apple itself warned that next quarter, iPhone ASP would fall more than it ever has before:

"As we reduce inventories of these newest products, the overall ASPs for iPhones in Q2 will naturally decline sequentially by a higher percentage than we have experienced historically." - Apple CFO

Nabby51

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2010
And yet the most popular smartphone is the iPhone. I'm sure the poor guys at LG aren't THAT happy about you declaring them to be market leader with Android... lol.

Who said anything about LG specifically? I was simply saying that as a whole Android owns 80+% of the mobile phone market globally. That's just a fun fact. Also, iOS has been losing market share slowly over time. They make money hand over fist because their margins are amazing. I'm not saying Apple is doomed not by a long shot.

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-ios-market-share-us-europe-japan-2018-1
I wonder how many of those iPhone sales in Q4 were existing iPhone users just getting a new device vs net new devices like first time smartphone users or a switcher from another platfrom. For example I went from an iPhone 6s Plus to an iPhone 8 Plus this year.

manhattanboy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2007
In ur GF's bed, Oh no he didn't!
This is a premium model, if you don't understand.
There are budget models as well, and even with the 3.5 mm jack for that matter.
Not having a headphone jack sucks. There was no good reason to remove it other than greed... its like when the airlines introduced "basic economy" to make you pay for choosing your seat and bringing a bag on board... just pure greed.
I appreciate that you and many people don't need a headphone jack. I had bluetooth stereo headphones for my cell phone more than 10 years ago, so I am not a Luddite trying to resist change here. The problem that I see is that the majority of the world uses a headphone jack and being forced to abandon it feels limiting. Try plugging those Beats X into the TV jack at the gym... Try plugging those earPods into the jack on an airline seat to watch a movie... Try plugging those Solo3's into the jack on your work computer to watch a training video...
In all of these scenarios, you are forced to take along something else that has jack compatibility. That's not the "just works" philosophy of the Jobs era Apple. Its the ROI (from the Beats M&A) philosophy of the Cook era Apple. Customers are second, not first.

I get that Apple wants to push progress forward, but they seem to be arbitrarily introducing surmountable problems. For example, if they wanted to abandon the headphone jack, why not the year before the abadonment, introduce earPods along with wireless charging for the iPhones? You build the ecosystem up first so that the transition is smooth. What occurred in reality was a bunch of angry people having to choose between not ready alternatives or sold out & unavailable earPods, or else use a dongle with no way to listen to music and charge at the same time. The current Apple implementation of new products is making Jobs roll over in his grave. Gone is "just works" and in its place is "doesn't quite work without us struggling to see what we really needed to do to make this launch smooth and product better".

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Oh, plenty of people suggested Cook lied. Maybe not this dude, but people literally think he's lying about it. It just gets comical after a time.
Seems strange to include it in a direct response then if it wasn’t relevant to the discussion?

I don’t think Cook is lying but the truth doesn’t seem as spectacular as his enthusiasm.

manhattanboy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2007
In ur GF's bed, Oh no he didn't!
Though it is no longer much discussed on Apple forums, there really are/were a substantial number of iPhone buyers who refused to buy phones without phone jacks. I still have my 6S+, but it will be my last iPhone until Apple comes up with a decent way to accommodate my wired headphones. If iPhone 7/8 lines had headphone jacks I'd probably buy one now. As it is, no, and my need for phones still remains lower than the $1000+ price point of the X - jack or no jack.
I bit the bullet and bought an iPhone 7 but honestly the lack of the jack has been the most frustrating part of the purchase. Just stupid on Apple's part, and even stupider for Android phones to follow them like lemmings.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Seems strange to include it in a direct response then if it wasn’t relevant to the discussion?

I don’t think Cook is lying but the truth doesn’t seem as spectacular as his enthusiasm.
88b of revenue in one quarter. In general it’s impossible to spin that number into anything negative and Cook should be enthusiastic.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
88b of revenue in one quarter. In general it’s impossible to spin that number into anything negative and Cook should be enthusiastic.
From a revenue point of view it’s excellent.

It does show that the era of most iPhone users going for the top iPhone is over though and that’s down to more choice in the range now available. I know a lot of emphasis has been placed on the X being the best seller and the point I was making was it’s not necessarily the most widely used because of that claim. It’s just one option in a series of eight as the iPhone range is bigger than it’s ever been.

Reactions: Moorepheus

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I'm too lazy to find the conspiracy theorists, but there were plenty telling him Cook can't lie.

I'm glad you agree the numbers speak and Cook's comments confirm.
I said in my original post that the iPhone X being the best selling since it was released may well be true but could also mean marginally better selling. Whether a product sells, one more, ten more, hundred more, it doesn’t matter. The figures suggest the profit across the range was pretty steady. If the iPhone X had blown the other models out of the water, the ASP would have been a lot more than $700. This is the point you won’t accept, not that anybody is saying Cook has lied.

There’s currently 8 iPhones on sale. They all share space in the market and are all popular in their own right. I don’t think anybody can confidently point to one particular model and claim it dominated because even Apple won’t do that. The iPhone X supposedly sold the best of any model. That’s all we know combined with a fairly low ASP for the price increases we’ve seen. There no conspiracy about that.

Reactions: Moorepheus

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
I said in my original post that the iPhone X being the best selling since it was released may well be true but could also mean marginally better selling. Whether a product sells, one more, ten more, hundred more, it doesn’t matter. The figures suggest the profit across the range was pretty steady. If the iPhone X had blown the other models out of the water, the ASP would have been a lot more than $700. This is the point you won’t accept, not that anybody is saying Cook has lied.

There’s currently 8 iPhones on sale. They all share space in the market and are all popular in their own right. I don’t think anybody can confidently point to one particular model and claim it dominated because even Apple won’t do that. The iPhone X supposedly sold the best of any model. That’s all we know combined with a fairly low ASP for the price increases we’ve seen. There no conspiracy about that.
The ASP of nearly $800 beat analysts' expectations significantly.

Moorepheus

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
Niagara Falls, NY
[
Then you also recognize it to be true?

Do I recognize that the X sold more than any other iPhone each week since it was released, Ok, sure, I can only go by what TC has told everyone.
Apple CEO Tim Cook said that the iPhone X has been the top selling iPhone every week since it shipped in December.
This doesn't mean it out sold previous years iPhones, it means, during the month of December, the iPhone X sold more than any other iPhone sold in December.

As for the iPhone X the major reason the ASP was 796, well, here it is quoted right from the article
Cook also said that the iPhone X, iPhone 8, and iPhone 8 Plus lineup brought in the highest revenue of any lineup in the company's history.
Based on this, the iPhone X, 8 and 8+ are the major reasons for such a huge jump in the ASP, not just the X. Yes, the X was the TOP SELLING IPHONE since it shipped in December, but no where does he or anyone else state is was the MAJOR reason for the ASP being 796.

Unless you are on the inside, which I highly doubt, you are guessing at this just like everyone else.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
[

Do I recognize that the X sold more than any other iPhone each week since it was released, Ok, sure, I can only go by what TC has told everyone. This doesn't mean it out sold previous years iPhones, it means, during the month of December, the iPhone X sold more than any other iPhone sold in December.

As for the iPhone X the major reason the ASP was 796, well, here it is quoted right from the article Based on this, the iPhone X, 8 and 8+ are the major reasons for such a huge jump in the ASP, not just the X. Yes, the X was the TOP SELLING IPHONE since it shipped in December, but no where does he or anyone else state is was the MAJOR reason for the ASP being 796.

Unless you are on the inside, which I highly doubt, you are guessing at this just like everyone else.
You’re hilarious.

If the iPhone X was the best selling AND is the most expensive, you can mathematically say iPhone X was the biggest contributor to the $800 ASP.

You do understand the math, right? Most expensive and best selling means biggest impact to ASP. If you had all the numbers and don’t think Cook is lying, the X would have the most weight in the weighted average. Simple.
[doublepost=1518013447][/doublepost]
Not in the articles I’ve read.
What? Consensus ASP was $756.

What were you reading? Some outlier that had a $900 ASP. ANY credible analyst would say the nearly $800 ASP was a huge beat.

And again, if the X was the best selling and most expensive iPhone, the X selling well had the biggest impact in driving ASP higher. It’s math.

Last edited:

Moorepheus

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
Niagara Falls, NY
You’re hilarious.

If the iPhone X was the best selling AND is the most expensive, you can mathematically say iPhone X was the biggest contributor to the $800 ASP.

You do understand the math, right? Most expensive and best selling means biggest impact to ASP. If you had all the numbers and don’t think Cook is lying, the X would have the most weight in the weighted average. Simple.
[doublepost=1518013447][/doublepost]
-> Yes, I do understand math, but since there are no factual numbers given by TC and Co., all anyone can do is hypothesize, and that's all you are doing.
Do you understand
1. The iPhone X was only Shipped for 1 month, during December, and TC said, it sold more since it shipped in December than any other iPhone shipped in December, he didn't say EVER or ALL TIME.
2. Most Expensive and selling (again, this was for the month of DECEMBER only) doesn't mean biggest impact to ASP, there is no proof of that. It might be, but TC did not come out and say that. He said, that the 8, 8+ and X where the reason for the highest revenue of any lineup in history.
3. The iPhone 8/8+ were being shipped for over 2 months prior to the iPhone X began shipping.
4. You do realize that that the iPhone 8+ 64GB sells for $799, 8+ 256 sells for $949 and the 8 256GB is $849?
5. It makes total since that the iPhone X shipped more in December, those who wanted the X waited for it, I would expect the iPhone X to out ship the 8 and/or 8+ combined, but again, there are no factual numbers to back this up. All was have it that the iPhone X was the top selling iPhone (what does that mean? Compared to the 8 and 8+ and 7 and 7+ and what other iPhones they sell, or does it mean the 8 line up, the 7 line up, the 6 line up, again a play on words) since it shipped in December.

Again, you want to read more into what TC & Co said.

What? Consensus ASP was $756.

What were you reading? Some outlier that had a $900 ASP. ANY credible analyst would say the nearly $800 ASP was a huge beat.

And again, if the X was the best selling and most expensive iPhone, the X selling well had the biggest impact in driving ASP higher. It’s math.
-> No, it's not math, it's a hypothesis. With out actual numbers, there is no math involved.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
-> Yes, I do understand math, but since there are no factual numbers given by TC and Co., all anyone can do is hypothesize, and that's all you are doing.
Do you understand
1. The iPhone X was only Shipped for 1 month, during December, and TC said, it sold more since it shipped in December than any other iPhone shipped in December, he didn't say EVER or ALL TIME.
2. Most Expensive and selling (again, this was for the month of DECEMBER only) doesn't mean biggest impact to ASP, there is no proof of that. It might be, but TC did not come out and say that. He said, that the 8, 8+ and X where the reason for the highest revenue of any lineup in history.
3. The iPhone 8/8+ were being shipped for over 2 months prior to the iPhone X began shipping.
4. You do realize that that the iPhone 8+ 64GB sells for $799, 8+ 256 sells for $949 and the 8 256GB is $849?
5. It makes total since that the iPhone X shipped more in December, those who wanted the X waited for it, I would expect the iPhone X to out ship the 8 and/or 8+ combined, but again, there are no factual numbers to back this up. All was have it that the iPhone X was the top selling iPhone (what does that mean? Compared to the 8 and 8+ and 7 and 7+ and what other iPhones they sell, or does it mean the 8 line up, the 7 line up, the 6 line up, again a play on words) since it shipped in December.

Again, you want to read more into what TC & Co said.

-> No, it's not math, it's a hypothesis. With out actual numbers, there is no math involved.
iPhone X was the best selling phone since Nov 4...not December. Do you want me to pull the transcript for you?

Yes, it is math that if the iPhone X was the best selling iPhone AND it's the most expensive, it had the most weighted impact to a higher ASP.

Are you really not understanding this?

Cook: "But since the launch of iPhone X, it has been the most popular iPhone every week, every week sales. And that is even through today, actually through January."...."But we feel fantastic, particularly as it pertains to iPhone X."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.