iPhone water sensor turned red

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chris227, May 29, 2011.

1. chris227 macrumors newbie

My iPhone works fine however the home button has stopped working therefor the phone is difficult to use. I have the Verizon warranty but I don't really want to pay the deductible. The iPhone's top side (about 1 inch) accidentally got into a cup of water turning the water sensor located in the headphone jack red. I know since it came into contact with water it avoids the warranty. Can I put a drop of bleach on the red sticker and bring it to the Apple store? Has anyone ever done this?

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

What you would be doing is committing fraud and is illegal

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

4. patp Guest

don't forget about the honesty sensor. it's located near the headphone jack (it's that little hole). It takes readings of your heartbeat and forms an average of your heartbeat.

From there it can determine when your being honest or not. The Apple Genius will hold it up next to your chest, type in a command, take a reading and based on what he finds determines if you get a free phone, refurb or pay full price.

They'll ask you questions like:
    What do you think of Steve Jobs?
    What is your favorite fruit?
    Own any Microsoft products?
    Own a Mac?
    Did this phone ever get wet?
    Who would win in a fight, Jobs or Ballmer?

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Bleach won't work.
    Paying the deductible will.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Nice to see that personal responsibility is a foreign concept to you OP.:rolleyes:

7. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Yes. Collectively they are known as "Losers".

8. EddyP macrumors 6502

Just dunk the top of the phone in bleach. It works. I have done it. Trust me.

Or you can just spray WD-40 into the bottom and it should help with the home button. My friend did that and it fixed his phone.

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

You have better chances of getting a free iPhone replacement if you go up to them and be honest about it, rather than trying to scam them with bleach or some other nonsense. Honestly, go them and say "I accidentally dropped my iPhone in water and understand that I need to pay a $199 replacement fee."

10. saberahul macrumors 68040

Don't be a fool. Go to the Apple store and tell them exactly what happened. In my experience, honesty usually results in the best solution possible (free replacement).

11. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

Wow, that didn't take long for the morality police to arrive on the scene.

12. ikaveh macrumors regular

dont hate me but
    the poor guy only asked a technical question not honesty advice fathers.

13. chris227 thread starter macrumors newbie

I never said I would do anything, I'm just exploring my options.

I'm basically asking this forum if anyone has successfully done this before. Because who knows, people probably have.

14. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Yup, so go on, dip your phone in bleach.

15. chris227 thread starter macrumors newbie

Why would I do that?

16. iBryton macrumors regular

I had the same issue except it never fell inside water, I guess when you use your phone in the rain, a drop MAY get inside and tick off the sensor. My genius kept telling me that it was out of warranty because of the issue, and I told him to get somebody else to help me. The next genius went in the back, opened my phone, and found no other sensor ticked, which meant it was a clean phone.

17. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

The problem is that they no longer use the sensor as the deciding factor, they open the device and look for signs of corrosion - bleach won't do anything about the corrosion.

I've heard of people trying this and ultimately being embarrassed because they get called out on it by the Genius.

18. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Putting the iPhone in a bag filled with bleach will do wonders for it and provide something to smell when it's finished.......