Iphone wifi login issue at Starbucks & other hotspots

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by boveejg, Apr 8, 2009.

1. boveejg macrumors newbie

Has anyone had any problems logging into wifi at starbucks recently on their iphones? I'm using t-mobile and typically when I get to the wifi login screen it will give me drop down menu with the option to login using either my AT&T DSL account or my starbucks card account. Lately though the link that says "not a qualified AT&T iphone customer?" just recycles back to the iphone login screen and won't produce an aternate login drop down menu.

The web address that pulls up for the login is an iphone-only web page and I'm wondering 1. if there's an alternate login web page I can browse to or 2. if I can turn off iphone detection by their system or 3. if I just need to change a setting on the phone or safari? Any ideas??? Thanks.

2. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

You're not on AT&T, it seems to be flagging it as so...

3. eddietr macrumors 6502a

You're not paying AT&T for their phone service and then wondering why they won't give you free WiFi in return? :)

4. boveejg thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I'm an AT&T DSL customer and they include free wifi at all AT&T hotspots as part of their package. Also, when you register a starbucks card over their website they give you 2 hours of free wifi every day. The problem is that the link on the AT&T wifi login screen no longer pulls up the screen that lets you log in with one of those alternate methods. And that's what the link is for: non-AT&T iphone users... It worked fine until a week ago so I'm just trying to find out if it's a setting or some other issue that's causing the problem. According to AT&T it should be working.

5. eddietr macrumors 6502a

Sorry, I didn't realize you were a DSL customer. I take back what I wrote earlier.

So, one thing I noticed today is that with 3.0 I can now connect at Starbucks without the old SMS activation routine. Maybe they are upgrading their ability to recognize iPhones and this is related to your problem?

6. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

No they aren't upgrading ability to recognize iPhone's (They being Starbuck I assume). 3.0 has this new feature where it will remember your wifi hotspots including username and password. Thats why it is logging in automatically.

7. boveejg thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, it's strange because my login info gets recoginized OK from my previous visits to the place & I can surf the ATT & Starbucks websites OK, but can't do general web surfing because the DSL login menu won't pull up when I try to login on the iphone.

8. Ding.Dong macrumors regular

You might want to try Easy Wi-Fi: appshopper.com/utilities/easy-wi-fi

It stores your username and password and automatically logs you in to AT&T hotspots. I got the app when it was free, and I notice that it's now $3.00, but it might be worth it.

9. superflush macrumors 6502a

Hey,

I've been having the same problem. I'm on T-Mo for my iPhone, but I have an AT&T Wifi account. Recently, when I try to login on my iPhone, (the usual way of clicking "Not a qualified AT&T iPhone customer?" and then typing in the user name and password, it just kicks back to the same page. It tries to go to nmd.sbx... but just keeps kicking back. I've even tried pasting the url that gives my the user id / password option, and once I type it in, I get the "You Are Now Connected To The Internet". But, I'm really not past the paywall, and ultimately get kicked back to the "Free AT&T for iPhone" page.

There's gotta be a way to fix this, I have no problem logging in on my notebook.

10. superflush macrumors 6502a

I did just read about this, although I still don't know if it would work with this current problem. We are not entering a phone number as most iPhone customers would do, rather we have a username and password for an AT&T WiFi account. But ... maybe it would work.

11. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I also suggest the Devicescape Login App, even at $3. Also I would suggest Resetting Safari.

12. boveejg thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I wondered if pasting the URL that comes up on a laptop would work, but I haven't had my laptop there recently to get the address to log into. Someone else mentioned resetting the user-agent info that the phone sends out which identifies it as an iphone but I haven't figured out how to do that yet.

Does anyone know how to set more preferences or options in Safari for the iphone? I'm wondering if an option exists for that...

13. superflush macrumors 6502a

Ha, I just did this yesterday. It didn't work. I got a Safari Connection Error message. I typed the entire entry url that I got on my laptop when logging in. It kicked my to the older login page: [​IMG] , but I got an error when trying to login.

On another note, I emailed AT&T about this, they said to call them. I'll let you know what happens if I get a change to call them.

14. superflush macrumors 6502a

Resetting Safari???

Yea, I would like to know this too, but I feel like its a problem with AT&Ts paywall (registration wall).

15. Keymusic macrumors newbie

Same problem

I'm having the same login problem at Starbucks. However, at McDonald's attwifi or wayport hotspots my ATT DSL login works fine. I'm able to get to the regular login screen from the iPhone login screen.

16. Keymusic macrumors newbie

update...

I was just able to login at a different local Starbucks. I got the iPhone login screen, tapped on the not a qualified iPhone link and it took me to the regular ATT login screen. I've been in phone contact with attwifi (wayport) tech support and I have a case number and have been giving them updates. Hopefully they'll get this problem cleared up soon.

17. boveejg thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome. I'm looking forward to hearing if they have any news for you. I wrote them 3 or 4 times and didn't get much help in return. The last guy suggested trying to clear my cashe & cookies but I already tried that once & it didn't seem to help. If you had success with the login screen at a mcdonalds it may suggest it's a Starbucks problem...

18. boveejg thread starter macrumors newbie

Solution.... It works!

Thanks to a reply on another page from "Sipart" I found a solution:

"Only solution is available to jailbroken iphones/touches with SBSettings (from Cydia) installed.

Download User Agent Faker from Cydia (switch for SBSettings) and switch it on and Google thinks you are browsing from Firefox. After that all my igoogle feeds work perfectly, and tabs work again.

Cheers"

19. superflush macrumors 6502a

Wow great. I'll have to try this out.

20. superflush macrumors 6502a

So, this works, but its still kind of a pain. I wish they'd just fix the iPhone login.

21. Keymusic macrumors newbie

???

Does the User Agent Faker have anything to do with the iPhone at&t wifi log in problem?

22. superflush macrumors 6502a

Yes, User Agent Faker allows you to toggle between iPhone browsing and Browsing as if the iPhone was a full computer. When you do this, you are able to see the AT&T WiFi login as if you were on you're laptop. There, you can simply type in the username & password, and it works.

But, its not as simple as the iPhone AT&T WiFi login just working.

23. Keymusic macrumors newbie

yeah but it sounds quicker than having to call into att (wayport) from a starbucks to have them manually connect me!

24. superflush macrumors 6502a

Ha true, but have you gotten then to fix anything?

25. superflush macrumors 6502a

I don't know about you guys, but with this fix it takes me sometimes 5 mins to login thanks to Safari bugging out.