Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPhone with 28% of U.S. Smartphone Marketshare for Q4 2007

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Canalys reported on both U.S. and Q4 2007 mobile phone marketshare numbers today and listed Apple's iPhone as #3 (6.5%) in smart phone marketshare worldwide despite being only available in a few countries. Apple trailed Nokia (52.9%) and RIM (11.4%) who were #1 and #2, respectively, in the worldwide market.

Meanwhile, Canalys estimates that Apple is #2 in U.S. marketshare with 28%, behind RIM (41%). This put the iPhone ahead of both Palm (9%) and all Windows Mobile device vendors combined (21%).

During the Macworld Expo keynote speech, Jobs reported that the Apple iPhone won 19.5% of the smart phone market during the 3rd quarter of 2007, so this 28% marketshare in Q4 represents signficant growth in the second full quarter the iPhone has been on sale.

Today, Apple introduced a 16GB version of the iPhone.

Article Link

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Good going Apple. Wish I had an iPhone :(

Alright, all that aside, bring on the MBP and MB whiners out there to give this news article a negative feedback.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
shipping market share, not user base

anyway, where is Jobs' 19.5% from?

gifford

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2007
Miserable England
How long until OSX outnumbers Vista on new devices? Not long at this growth and the 3G phone hasn't even been released yet. And when it does.. whooooooosh

Im sure somebody will point out the recent growth of Vista , problem is its not sustainable, whereas OSX has only just begun.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
I don't want to take anything away from Apple because this is a significant success for them, but originally they were talking in terms of simply gaining 1% of the overall cell phone market, not isolating numbers by looking at the smart phone market only. Where does this put them in terms of the overall cell phone market? I'm betting they're still under 1%.

stevegmu

macrumors regular
I don't want to take anything away from Apple because this is a significant success for them, but originally they were talking in terms of simply gaining 1% of the overall cell phone market, not isolating numbers by looking at the smart phone market only. Where does this put them in terms of the overall cell phone market? I'm betting they're still under 1%.

Could be, but its not fair to compare the iPhone to throw-away phones that are free. I imagine the Razr is the most popular cell phone in the US, but I don't know anyone who has one who has actually had to pay for one.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
The u.s phone market is so far behind the times its only worth a glance. The *real* indicator is Europe and Asia, even better, worldwide market share.

Apple, due to its iPhone business model will create a glass ceiling for itself.

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
Both the iPhone and iPod touch need

Intel Silverthorne inside

to get the full

Mac OS X 10.5.1

And then Firewire and full-quality video out (wired and wireless).

Then the worldwide marketshare will be 50% or more.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Both the iPhone and iPod touch need

Intel Silverthorne inside

to get the full

Mac OS X 10.5.1

And then Firewire and full-quality video out (wired and wireless).

Then the worldwide marketshare will be 50% or more.

and a DVD drive so you can watch movies on the go:rolleyes:

seppoj

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2002
UK
Handset market

May not be fair, but I think it was the benchmark Apple threw out...

Handset Manufacturers, market stats Q4 2007
According to market watcher Strategy Analytics these are the results Q4 2007:
Nokia sold a staggering 133.5m mobiles
Samsung 46.4m
Motorola 40.9m
Sony Ericsson 30.8m
LG 23.7m
Apple shifted 2.3m iPhones

Market share remains as follows:
Nokia 40.2% market share, the highest in its history
Samsung 14%
Motorola 12.3%
Sony Ericsson 9.3%
LG 7.1%
Apple 0.6%

Overall: 332m mobile phones shipped in Q4 2007
(source Strategy Analytics)

gifford

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2007
Miserable England
100 years?
At the current rate of growth less than 3 years.
I'm gonna go on record and place in my tag-line the date at which OSX will outnumber Vista on new devices by, and I'm gonna choose just 2 years from today.

950 million phones sold last year , roughly 240 million computers sold (that included apples share and linux).
The OS battle does not lie in traditional computers.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
At the current rate of growth less than 3 years.

950 million phones sold last year , roughly 240 million computers sold (that included apples share and linux).
The OS battle does not lie in traditional computers.
vista reach 14% in one year, OX has 7.6% in 6 years, where comes your conclusion?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.