iPhone without contract

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DJ24966, May 27, 2011.

1. DJ24966 macrumors newbie

My friend has an old iPhone that he's looking to get rid of, and I'm thinking of taking it off his hands.

If I buy the phone and take it to ATT can they still force me into a 2 yr contract since I already own my phone?

Thanks

2. iFiend, May 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2011

iFiend macrumors 65816

Absolutely not.

Tell them you got the phone as a hand-me-down gift and you'd like to start service. Drive home that you do not want to sign a contract. They'll happily set you up. Just make sure before you sign anything check and make sure it is not a contract!!

3. DJ24966 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I was hoping to hear :p

Now just for the heck of it, lets say I wanted to do pre-paid gophone style.

I'd need to do what exactly?

Just buy a gophone, get the sim card unlocked and transfer them?

4. Supraking macrumors member

They will if you sign up for the contract. But you can use the prepaid Pay As You Go plans they have.

5. iFiend macrumors 65816

You cannot use gophone SIMs/contracts with the iPhone. It may work for a while but AT&T will figure it out and add data service to your account.

What kind of phone is it?

6. DJ24966, May 27, 2011

DJ24966 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's just the regular 3g I believe.

So, basically I can get on a monthly $75/month plan like everybody else, just without the 2 year agreement, correct?

Also, I talked to 1 other person who said ATT generally does not care if you use a gophone sim card just as long as you are not doing data, any truth to that?

7. wordoflife, May 28, 2011

wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

That is correct.

I don't know how Gophone plans work, but I assume that if you use data, it will just charge you by the MB. iPhones use a lot of data so it can get expensive if you don't have a proper data plan. I don't think gophone plans were designed to be used with smartphones, hence why they charge quite a bit for data since those gophones don't use much data at all.

8. nostresshere, May 29, 2011

nostresshere macrumors 68030

As to GOPHONE - why go this route on an iphone, even if you get it with no data functions? Buy at Gophone at walmart for $30. No contract.

9. Internal Fury macrumors 6502

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That is false.
    You can use Gophone prepaid AT&T sims with any iphone.
    They will not add data, its prepaid.
    All you do is go to the AT&T store and have them give you just the sim and tell them you have a cellphone at home that you're going to use. They wont even care if you use an iphone anyway.

11. nipponfan macrumors regular

I had a soft-unlocked 3GS from Austria and couldn't use a go-phone sim in it. At the att store they told me it wouldn't work bc it's an iPhone

12. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Did you actually check, or did you take their work for it?