iPhone without data plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by j5tar, May 10, 2009.

1. j5tar macrumors newbie

I want the iPhone without a data plan because my campus has wifi everywhere and I would be saving $30 a month. Rogers said they can block data so I won't accidentally get charged for using some programs that require data. However, they also mentioned that Apple has some sort of automatically update that will use data and they have no control of it whatsoever. They told me somebody bought an iPhone without data and somehow Apple updated their phone and got charged with a $900 bill. Can this really happen and is there a way to prevent it (even with the WIX block on)?? Is there anything else I should be concerned about getting a iPhone 3G without a data plan? Anyone here using a iPhone 3G without data plan and never got charged for data? Thanks in advance.

2. ataboc macrumors 6502

3. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

Yes you can, just tell them to block data and you improvise a fake APN. Two ways to block data. There are many threads related to this issue, please use search feature next time.

You are in the US using ATT, not Canada, don't give out false facts.

4. dave006 macrumors 68020

Actually, you can also do the same thing in the US with AT&T. If you have a WIX Block on the line, there is no data and no data charge and no data plan is possible with a little effort on your part.

Dave

5. ataboc macrumors 6502

my troll attempt wasn't obvious enough for you?

6. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

I think that 900 dollar accidental data usage is exagerated to the extreme. even if they did update the iphone automagically it still wouldnt be that much.

I wish usa had the no data option. im currently locked into a blackberry plan for my backberry storm (phone sucks hard dont get me started).
    I dont even use the data really. even checking emails the images are loaded manually so it doesnt use that much.

you Canada users are so lucky. Lots of people have it without Data plan dont worry. They just trying to scare you.

7. JCastro macrumors 6502a

I wonder how many gigs you would have to use to come up with a $900 data charge. I can't even imagine...:eek:

8. j5tar thread starter macrumors newbie

So would having data blocked (WIX blocking) the only way to prevent data charges? Or do I have to do other stuff such as jailbreak it? Also, what is a fake APN?

9. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

Ignore the ATT blocking suggestions. Just tell Rogers to put a data block on your phone and install a fake APN, google it.

Access this with the iPhone Safari browser and install it. A fake APN.
    unlockit.co.nz/

10. j5tar thread starter macrumors newbie

Also, what about the iPhone trying to automatically connect to the Apple server to update itself? How do I prevent this?

11. macdim macrumors 6502

That's not true. If you call Rogers and they apply the CORRECT data blocks, you will lose all data to the phone. You won't have an IP address. The Edge and 3G symbols next to ROGERS in the menu bar will disappear (they only appear when you have an IP address). Obviously Wi-FI will still work.

Installing a fake APN like mentioned above is another way to block data, and some people use it to supplement the Rogers data block. Apple doesn't send out updates to the phone and they really wouldn't be able to if you're not connected to the internet.

Rogers just wants you to sign a data package. Call them, tell them you want data blocked and if they resist, tell them you know that it is possible and that you just want it done. If they won't do it, talk to a manager. I know someone who did this and it was done first try no questions asked. It really depends on what CSR you get.

Good Luck

12. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

iPhones don't magically update themselves. If the data block is properly applied, no data will get through at all.

13. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

Nothing will happen if the iPhone updates, even if you do it yourself. The block will still be in place.

Is the Rogers CSR trying to trick you into false info and getting a data plan? I would like to teach them a lesson on how a basic data block works.

14. j5tar thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you know which stuff I should tell them to block? After the block, do I still have to do the fake APN method or am I all good? 100% no data usage for sure right?
    EDIT: One more question, if I tell Rogers to block EDGE/3G data or use fake APN, is there a way I can still get charged data through the cellular network (such as WAP servers etc...)?

I just want to make sure because I've been charged $200 for using 5 MB on my other cellphone before so I learned my lesson.

15. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

Call Rogers to put a data block on your account, then install the APN address. Do both to ensure a complete data block in case Rogers does not properly block data for you.

You will never receive/send data, if you still see the E/3G symbol, you're okay if you installed the fake APN address.

16. j5tar thread starter macrumors newbie

I also heard you can jailbreak it and install a app called Bosspref that can turn edge/3G off.
    -If I jailbreak my iPhone, does it void the warranty?
    -Are the newest versions of iPhones jailbreakable?
    -Also, is there a way to install the fake APN without using data? (wouldn't I have to insert my Sim card in order to use Safari?)

17. j5tar thread starter macrumors newbie

I talked to other people today and they said that even with the data block and stuff, the GPS can still get data without me knowing it. Is this true and is there a way to prevent this from happening?

18. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

They don't know what they're talking about. If Rogers blocks data properly, NOTHING will get through. I've been using an iPhone with blocked data for 10 months, and have used zero non-wifi data.

19. j5tar thread starter macrumors newbie

Is that just through the Rogers data block or did you also assigned a spoof APN and used BossPref as well??? Even if you accidentally open the GPS app or other apps that require data, you won't get charged for data no matter what?
    Great community, thanks for all your help so far.

20. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

No fake APN, no BossPrefs, just the Rogers block. Don't let Rogers or other posters scare you - if Rogers applies a data block properly, NOTHING will get through. You can open up a data app, but unless you're connected to wifi, you'll get a blank page. Nothing will load.

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

False, GPS does not use data.
    Just install that fake APN when you're connected thru WIFI and you dont have to deal with it again. You dont have to jailbreak if you dont want to.

22. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

If you block data, you block data. Apple does not do FOTA. (Oh, Google that if you don't know).

In any case, all those friends of yours are lying.

23. maclovin' macrumors regular

maclovin'

K, so I'm a little confused. Is it possible to buy an iPhone without a data plan(in Canada with Rogers or Fido)? Or is this just for people who have paid for a data plan, and don't want to be charged extra if they go over? I have wanted an iPhone desperately since they came out, but $60 a month is just a little insane.

24. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

Yes, it is possible to buy an iPhone without a data plan in Canada*. Rogers/Fido stores might refuse you because they don't get as much of a commission, but you can order it over the phone with no problems.

* I read something on another forum today that this was changing, however, and data plans would be made mandatory for iPhones... so if you want one without a data plan you might want to look into this rule change.

Edit: here's the thread: http://howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1527618

25. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

i can verify that! :)