iPhone X: 64GB sells out first?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by psymac, Sep 17, 2017.

1. psymac macrumors 6502

That’s my guess, so I’ll probably try for 256GB to have a better chance, either preorder or waiting in line at Apple if needed.

2. Dave245 macrumors 604

Dave245

I think the iPhone X is going to sell out very quick in general, I want to pre-order one as soon as they go up for pre-order but I'm under no illusion that I will get it for release date (November 3rd). I think the 64GB could sell out first because it's the cheaper option.

3. psymac thread starter macrumors 6502

One can only hope that they would have reasonable supply given that Apple is selling in so many countries the same time.

4. the future macrumors 65816

I think they take their time until 10-27/11-03 to build up significant inventory. My guess is that you will need to be fast, but not that fast. Think minutes, not seconds.

5. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

If somebody wants the iPhone X, and they intend on pre-ordering, I would suggest having a pre-order in under three minutes. I wouldn't go anything past that, those dates will slip very quickly and likely into the new year almost instantaneously. ESpecially given there are only two limited color options and two storage options.

6. Superrjamz54 macrumors 6502

Superrjamz54

I'll preorder and wait patiently. Want the phone but willing to wait for it.

7. kevink2 macrumors 65816

Too bad no 128GB model. Sweet spot for me, leaves me plenty of space. 64GB, with my music library, would require active management.

Maybe my usage will change by the time I'm willing to buy a new phone. I've just had my 7+ for 1 year.

8. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Since the front of both are black, color is a moot point to me. With that said I’d bet silver 64 will be the last to see dates slip.

9. Laryl macrumors 6502a

Laryl

I'm a rather newbie but I have gone through the annual upgrade a couple times now. Anyway my thinking is the opposite of 'especially since only 2 colors and storage they will go fast.' Think about it, ONLY 2 color choices and 2 storage choices means whatever quantity of phones they are building are going to be 1 of those 4 choices instead of so many more choices. The odds of getting the phone you want are going to be higher, there's going to be more of them given that there are fewer choices. We have no idea yet how much they are ramping up production so I'm not saying you don't need to order fast because I'm sure you will… But the fewer choices helps not hurts.

10. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Then you have to factor in the Price point difference between the 64 GB and 256 GB. The iPhone is already $1000 starting as it is, I think most will opt for the 64 GB, likely just for the fact of saving money. Some will go for the higher storage For 256 GB, but I think subconsciously, you have consumers that already rationalizing and thinking that they're spending $1000 as it is, and want to save some money. But also That depends how badly someone wants this iPhone.

Either way, both models Will quickly back order in under a few minutes. If somebody can't achieve the 64 GB model, and if they're desperate enough, they will likely try to pre-order the 256 GB as their next choice, just for the sake of having it earlier.

11. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Always worth the normal tips of sorting out beforehand:
    billing and shipping address, checking card details correct and right one, with card to hand just in case needing details
    in app, if using app to order (usually the more reliable option than the website) - making the chosen iPhone a favourite, so it's quicker to get to and then select to put in basket.
    Pre-checking with fraud department of card being used if needed, so payment goes ok.

With dates slipping quickly (and the app and website going slow due to volume of users), sometimes you'll get more luck with arranging an in app store pickup than the expected delivery dates for delivery (which can be brought forward a bit like previous years).

12. neteng101 macrumors 65816

I would think those paying that much for the phone will want to max it out thus the 256GB will sell out first. That's how it always was with the 6 Plus and so on.

13. ZipZap macrumors 603

14. Ledsteplin macrumors 6502a

Ledsteplin

Exactly this! Or part of it. And many are choosing the 8 Plus over the X for a variety of reasons. Hopefully, none will run out. It's gonna be interesting to see how this plays out. I'm glad I'm waiting until next year.

15. Tom G. macrumors 68020

Tom G.

I think a lot of people will think that the extra $150.00 is not that much when you're already in for $1000.00 and looking at the 256GB as compared to the rather puny 64GB will easily bite the bullet and go for the larger storage. therefore, I think the 256 will sell out first.

This is my thinking, and I don't expect to see mine much before mid Feb. 2018.

16. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Actually, my guess is the 256gb may be sold out first.

I don't think there's any way to know, either way.

17. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

My exact thought. An extra $150 when you are already spending over $1k is nothing. Having the piece of mind about not having to manage storage, priceless.

18. Smileyboy macrumors 65816

Smileyboy

19. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

I feel the 256GB will sell out first, it is more expensive, but 64GB is probably not enough space for most people with all the higher quality camera live photos, videos, apps that will take advantage of the full screen...

20. edfoo macrumors 6502

I am guessing the 256GB X going to sell out first in the first 30 seconds when launched, closely followed by the 64GB X in the next 30 seconds.

21. Laryl macrumors 6502a

Laryl

I agree the 256 will go first. The people who are super preorder anxious are not the crowd that is going to pause over the slight increase in cost I bet. Those willing to preorder something so new will be all in.

22. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

I agree with this thought process. People who are willing to preorder something that they haven't seen in person yet and spending over 1k already will shrug at another $150.

I hope I'm wrong though. I'm definitely going for the 256g.

23. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Always go for the expensive model first. You eat the cost but availability tends to be better.

Just depends on how eager you are I suppose.

24. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

Actually, according to all the polls done on the forum, the 256GB might go out first. Which is perfect, because i'm going for the 64gb

25. nws0291 macrumors 6502a

I think the black 256 will be the fastest selling model. The people who usually go for the base models already bought the 8 and 8 Plus.