Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
The share of all current models is 61% (iPhone 8/8+ and X) - the rest is older models. I think that‘s a good indication that Apple has reached its price cap.

20% consist of a model $200 more expensive than any previous model ($300 more than the standard-sized iPhone 8). Maybe $999 is the cap you're referring to? Getting 20% of the user base to trade up seems pretty impressive to me.

As to the sales of lower-priced models? That's always the case. The glitzy new models draw people to the stores, then their budgets force them to compromise. "It's still a great phone!"

One way to spin things is that, while similar numbers of budget-bound buyers couldn't justify paying more, a substantial number of more-affluent buyers had not yet reached their cap.

Reactions: rafark

78Bandit

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2009

Jeez, that chart makes things look extremely dismal. Assuming that chart is about Apple, according to the proof you've provided the X is only running 6% - 7% of all iPhones sold. While that is higher than the 4% - 5% for each of the iPhone 8 models, in total the 8 and 8 Plus are outselling the X.

What is worse is that according to the chart the iPhone 7 and older account for 85% of phones sold during the period. Something either must be way out of whack with the data or we are going to see Q1 results that are very bad.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
1 in 5 sales
Doesn’t seem great to me

Especially considering USA is the cheapest place to get an X

I love my X (now jailbroken) But I applaud weak sales.

The only way Apple will continue stepping it up is by being forced to

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The most interesting data point is that sales of the almost 2-year old iPhone SE grew! I got one just in case they kill the 4" form factor. It'll replace my 6s when it dies

Even though the iPhone SE only appeals to a demographic that wants a smaller form factor, the price point is very enticing for some. And even with some carriers, you can Purchase the SE for little as $150. Especially given its Apples most affordable iPhone in their lineup.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
According to this iphones were still at an all time low. Just posting it for info.

https://www.cultofmac.com/524645/interest-latest-iphones-reaches-time-low/

It’s always good to have other Apple fan site opinions as they ‘usually’, differ to this sites reports... I remember 9to5mac slammed Apple over the MacBook Pro for somethings not, price hikes and USB C possibly, anyway this site praised them..

The story you linked to sums up perfectly what’s wrong with the iPhone lineup this year.

Reactions: BeforeTheMeds

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Even though the iPhone SE only appeals to a demographic that wants a smaller form factor, the price point is very enticing for some. And even with some carriers, you can Purchase the SE for little as $150. Especially given its Apples most affordable iPhone in their lineup.
Yeah, but it’s definitely in need of an hardware upgrade and a redesign wouldn’t hurt either. I know the redesign is unlikely and an A10 may be the most people can hope for at this time. I think it’s more likely to be on the chopping block by this time next year as the necessity of its existence is dwindling in Apple’s view and actually harmful to the bottom line.

rafark

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2017
If the X is indeed 20% then that would indicate only 16-20 million X devices sold. Quite a bit below even the previously reduced expectations after the delay to November.

This is only in the US. You'd need to count the rest from the other 100+ countries iPhones are sold in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.