iPhone X Accounted for 1 in 5 Smartphones Sold by Apple in United States Last Quarter According to Survey

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 22, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Every one in five smartphones sold by Apple in the United States in the fourth quarter of 2017 was an iPhone X, according to data shared with MacRumors by research firm Consumer Intelligence Research Partners.

[​IMG]

Below is the exact model-by-model breakdown of Apple's total iPhone sales between October and December, based on the firm's survey of 500 consumers who purchased an iPhone in the United States during that period.

[​IMG]
    iPhone 8: 24 percent
    iPhone 8 Plus: 17 percent
    iPhone X: 20 percent
    All other iPhone models: 39 percent
    Consumer Intelligence Research Partners co-founder Josh Lowitz says the iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X's combined 61 percent share of Apple's total smartphone sales is 11 percent lower than the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus accounted for in the year-ago quarter, but there are several caveats to consider:
    Apple doesn't disclose iPhone sales on a model-by-model basis, so this survey only serves as a rough estimate. However, analysts and investors will be listening for any clues about the sales mix during Apple's next quarterly earnings call on February 1.

Article Link: iPhone X Accounted for 1 in 5 Smartphones Sold by Apple in United States Last Quarter According to Survey

2. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

But, but, nobody has seen one in the wild!!

I think iPhone X is selling better than some think, and while many would like to see it flop... it isn't

3. scrapesleon macrumors 6502a

scrapesleon

4. minimo3 macrumors 6502

The most interesting data point is that sales of the almost 2-year old iPhone SE grew! I got one just in case they kill the 4" form factor. It'll replace my 6s when it dies

5. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

The growing SE sales interests me.

I downgraded from an iPhone 6s Plus to an SE, and have been very happy with it.

6. Woyzeck macrumors 6502

So only 60% of Apple‘s customers buy the current model, even in the launch quarter and without supply restrictions. That‘s surprising.

7. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

I wonder how many people passed on the iPhone 8 and waited for the iPhone X, just to not be able to find one, or the sticker shock finally set in and they settled for a cheaper phone or just stuck with the one they have.

8. WalterTizzano macrumors 6502

WalterTizzano

It’s not. It’s a very expensive phone that offers very little more than the already very expensive iPhone 8, that offers marginal improvements compared to the Cheaper iPhone 7. Many people just though it wasn’t worth the price and bought an iPhone 7 instead.

9. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    So Last year nearly 75% of iphones were the newest models, this year it was just over 60%.

Ok so I see this was directly addressed in the article. So much for just analyzing the data without reading.

10. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

If you want to believe the numbers, I think this could be due to the iPhone 8 basically being the same old iPhone 6 design, there was not any "must have" feature on the 8, so people just save some money and buy cheaper and older ones.

As for the X, I think the price was probably the largest factor.

11. AlphaGuitarist macrumors 6502a

AlphaGuitarist

Agreed. I have the X and really like it, but I admit that I had second thoughts about buying it, due to the price. Selling my 6s Plus helped mitigate the sticker shock, but that doesn't make the price any less of a tough pill to swallow.

12. Scottsoapbox macrumors 6502a

Scottsoapbox

That's lower than I would have guessed, but it would be interesting to see how the numbers compared taking price into account.

That is, did the more expensive X offset the fewer units sold?

13. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

I read it, but even with the caveats, it doesn't look good. The only real caveat would be the X not being available during the first few weeks imo.

14. threesixty360 macrumors 6502

I'm betting that Apple want to get away from the whole "blockbuster" september release thing. Its not good for business. The mac and ipad models where people just buy whats out is better for the business. My guess is that there will be another iphone far earlier in the year (spring/summer) and there may not be a september Iphone release. Probably and X plus.

The fact that they released the 8 and the X at similar times makes me think they are going in this direction.

15. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

I'm enjoying mine, glad I did it. Love the form factor and buttonless front screen.

And face ID is way better than I anticipated. Super smooth.

16. BeforeTheMeds macrumors 6502

BeforeTheMeds

17. 78Bandit macrumors 6502a

78Bandit

So much for the supercycle and a multitude of potential consumers who skipped the 7 because they were waiting for the X (remember that was Tim Cook's excuse for a same-quarter sales drop last year). Given the hype, the statement that sales were "off the chart", and the claims that production was ramped up well over initial expectations to meet demand by the first week of December, I was expecting the X to account for half the sales for the quarter. This is also in line with prior analysts expectations of 80-85 million total iPhones sold in Q1 with 35-40 million being the X.

If the X is indeed 20% then that would indicate only 16-20 million X devices sold. Quite a bit below even the previously reduced expectations after the delay to November. Now KGI is saying only 18 million X were sold and shipments aren't as strong as others believe. Ming has dropped his estimate significantly two or three times already which doesn't look good.

The February earnings call and Q2 estimates should be enlightening. Lots of conflicting rumors running around right now.

18. szw-mapple fan macrumors 65816

szw-mapple fan

I'm actually surprised the newest models garnered that much market share. Many people I know were waiting for a price drop on the older models to upgrade from much older devices.

19. drewyboy macrumors 65816

Honestly, I've only seen 1. But this survey, not sure how actually valid it is, is in line with everything else we're hearing. X is selling less than the 8 and 8+ and that the 8,8+, and X are selling less than the 7 did compared to last year. So upgrades to the latest models are down. This wasn't the all hyped "supercycle" year that analysts were saying it would be.

20. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

21. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

But that still doesn't remove its "beta" badge.

22. Duel macrumors member

X is selling lot better than 8 and 8 plus, proof https://mixpanel.com/trends/#report/iphone_8_X/from_date:-29,report_unit:day,to_date:1

23. Woyzeck macrumors 6502

The share of all current models is 61% (iPhone 8/8+ and X) - the rest is older models. I think that‘s a good indication that Apple has reached its price cap.

24. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

I don't think it is so much a pricing issue as it is a function issue
    Yes, the new iPhone X bring Face ID, better camera, etc. etc.
    But honestly, the cameras in the older phones take good enough pics for most folks
    And Face ID isn't a must have enhancement
    Animojis? nah
    Screen sizes are available in most models now and are saturated

People are fine keeping phones much longer now because the rapid innovations and enhancements just aren't there for any maker, Samsung or Apple
    If you are a part of an upgrade program (I am) then you go ahead and upgrade
    If I wasn't, I likely would have passed myself, not because of price, but because my 7 Plus did everything I needed

25. KrisLord macrumors 65816

This is a survey of 500 customers....

So I’d say these results are pretty meaningless.

There’s no info on the demographics of the sample group, how it was selected and whether it is representive of the population.

Apple sold about 44 million iPhones in Q1 (September 2017) so this sample is terrible.