Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Every one in five smartphones sold by Apple in the United States in the fourth quarter of 2017 was an iPhone X, according to data shared with MacRumors by research firm Consumer Intelligence Research Partners.

iphone-x-quad.jpg

Below is the exact model-by-model breakdown of Apple's total iPhone sales between October and December, based on the firm's survey of 500 consumers who purchased an iPhone in the United States during that period.

iphone-mix-cirp-4q17.jpg
iPhone 8: 24 percent
iPhone 8 Plus: 17 percent
iPhone X: 20 percent
All other iPhone models: 39 percent
Consumer Intelligence Research Partners co-founder Josh Lowitz says the iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X's combined 61 percent share of Apple's total smartphone sales is 11 percent lower than the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus accounted for in the year-ago quarter, but there are several caveats to consider:
At 61%, the three newest iPhone models together represented a somewhat smaller share of total US iPhone sales in the quarter, compared to 72% for the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus a year ago. Yet, comparisons to earlier launches are tricky at best. First, iPhone X wasn't available for the full quarter. The Apple model pie is further divided, as they now offer eight models, the most ever. And, Apple launched the new phones on a different schedule, announcing three new models at once, but delaying the lauch of the most advanced and expensive one, iPhone X, for five weeks following the launch of iPhone 8 and 8 Plus.
Apple doesn't disclose iPhone sales on a model-by-model basis, so this survey only serves as a rough estimate. However, analysts and investors will be listening for any clues about the sales mix during Apple's next quarterly earnings call on February 1.

Article Link: iPhone X Accounted for 1 in 5 Smartphones Sold by Apple in United States Last Quarter According to Survey

vertical smile

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2014
the iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X's combined 61 percent share of Apple's total smartphone sales is 11 percent lower than the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus accounted for in the year-ago quarter

I wonder how many people passed on the iPhone 8 and waited for the iPhone X, just to not be able to find one, or the sticker shock finally set in and they settled for a cheaper phone or just stuck with the one they have.

Comment

User 6502

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2014
So only 60% of Apple‘s customers buy the current model, even in the launch quarter and without supply restrictions. That‘s surprising.
It’s not. It’s a very expensive phone that offers very little more than the already very expensive iPhone 8, that offers marginal improvements compared to the Cheaper iPhone 7. Many people just though it wasn’t worth the price and bought an iPhone 7 instead.

Comment

vertical smile

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2014
So only 60% of Apple‘s customers buy the current model, even in the launch quarter and without supply restrictions. That‘s surprising.
If you want to believe the numbers, I think this could be due to the iPhone 8 basically being the same old iPhone 6 design, there was not any "must have" feature on the 8, so people just save some money and buy cheaper and older ones.

As for the X, I think the price was probably the largest factor.

Comment

AlphaGuitarist

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2014
As for the X, I think the price was probably the largest factor.

Agreed. I have the X and really like it, but I admit that I had second thoughts about buying it, due to the price. Selling my 6s Plus helped mitigate the sticker shock, but that doesn't make the price any less of a tough pill to swallow.

Reactions: KSouder
Comment

Scottsoapbox

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2014
That's lower than I would have guessed, but it would be interesting to see how the numbers compared taking price into account.

That is, did the more expensive X offset the fewer units sold?

Comment

vertical smile

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2014
Ok so I see this was directly addressed in the article. So much for just analyzing the data without reading.
I read it, but even with the caveats, it doesn't look good. The only real caveat would be the X not being available during the first few weeks imo.

Comment

threesixty360

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2007
I'm betting that Apple want to get away from the whole "blockbuster" september release thing. Its not good for business. The mac and ipad models where people just buy whats out is better for the business. My guess is that there will be another iphone far earlier in the year (spring/summer) and there may not be a september Iphone release. Probably and X plus.

The fact that they released the 8 and the X at similar times makes me think they are going in this direction.

Comment

78Bandit

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2009
So much for the supercycle and a multitude of potential consumers who skipped the 7 because they were waiting for the X (remember that was Tim Cook's excuse for a same-quarter sales drop last year). Given the hype, the statement that sales were "off the chart", and the claims that production was ramped up well over initial expectations to meet demand by the first week of December, I was expecting the X to account for half the sales for the quarter. This is also in line with prior analysts expectations of 80-85 million total iPhones sold in Q1 with 35-40 million being the X.

If the X is indeed 20% then that would indicate only 16-20 million X devices sold. Quite a bit below even the previously reduced expectations after the delay to November. Now KGI is saying only 18 million X were sold and shipments aren't as strong as others believe. Ming has dropped his estimate significantly two or three times already which doesn't look good.

The February earnings call and Q2 estimates should be enlightening. Lots of conflicting rumors running around right now.

Comment

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012

I'm actually surprised the newest models garnered that much market share. Many people I know were waiting for a price drop on the older models to upgrade from much older devices.

Reactions: KSouder
Comment

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
But, but, nobody has seen one in the wild!!

I think iPhone X is selling better than some think, and while many would like to see it flop... it isn't

Honestly, I've only seen 1. But this survey, not sure how actually valid it is, is in line with everything else we're hearing. X is selling less than the 8 and 8+ and that the 8,8+, and X are selling less than the 7 did compared to last year. So upgrades to the latest models are down. This wasn't the all hyped "supercycle" year that analysts were saying it would be.

Comment

Duel

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2011
Honestly, I've only seen 1. But this survey, not sure how actually valid it is, is in line with everything else we're hearing. X is selling less than the 8 and 8+ and that the 8,8+, and X are selling less than the 7 did compared to last year. So upgrades to the latest models are down. This wasn't the all hyped "supercycle" year that analysts were saying it would be.

X is selling lot better than 8 and 8 plus, proof https://mixpanel.com/trends/#report/iphone_8_X/from_date:-29,report_unit:day,to_date:1

Comment

Woyzeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2012
It’s not. It’s a very expensive phone that offers very little more than the already very expensive iPhone 8, that offers marginal improvements compared to the Cheaper iPhone 7. Many people just though it wasn’t worth the price and bought an iPhone 7 instead.

The share of all current models is 61% (iPhone 8/8+ and X) - the rest is older models. I think that‘s a good indication that Apple has reached its price cap.

Reactions: Cole Slaw
Comment

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
The share of all current models is 61% (iPhone 8/8+ and X) - the rest is older models. I think that‘s a good indication that Apple has reached its price cap.

I don't think it is so much a pricing issue as it is a function issue
Yes, the new iPhone X bring Face ID, better camera, etc. etc.
But honestly, the cameras in the older phones take good enough pics for most folks
And Face ID isn't a must have enhancement
Animojis? nah
Screen sizes are available in most models now and are saturated

People are fine keeping phones much longer now because the rapid innovations and enhancements just aren't there for any maker, Samsung or Apple
If you are a part of an upgrade program (I am) then you go ahead and upgrade
If I wasn't, I likely would have passed myself, not because of price, but because my 7 Plus did everything I needed

Comment

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
This is a survey of 500 customers....

So I’d say these results are pretty meaningless.

There’s no info on the demographics of the sample group, how it was selected and whether it is representive of the population.

Apple sold about 44 million iPhones in Q1 (September 2017) so this sample is terrible.

Reactions: apolloa
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.