Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
The ram management on the iphone 8 plus definitely is not good in comparison to the Note 8. The reviews are showing this.

I really dont care about a game loading 10 ms faster but ram management is a ultimate must. The note 8 multitasking abilities are the best out there currently.

Reactions: areyes163

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
iPhones are so powerful today, that most consumers don't even utilize the full advantage of what it can do. I would say the majority consumers have gaming applications, social media applications, photography or editing applications, etc. And the iPhone processor is more than powerful enough the most need, it's just a matter of how somebody actually uses their iPhone.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/iphone-8-benchmarks-fastest-phone,review-4676.html

"The "Bionic" part in the name of Apple's A11 Bionic chip isn't just marketing speak. It's the most powerful processor ever put in a mobile phone. We've put this chip to the test in both synthetic benchmarks and some real-world speed trials, and it obliterates every Android phone we tested."
Yeah, & the next Galaxy will beat the A11.

& round & round we go.

We can't compare the iPhones/Galaxies because they come out months apart. One will always beat the other....

Reactions: akash.nu

donth8

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2015
Yeah, & the next Galaxy will beat the A11.

& round & round we go.

We can't compare the iPhones/Galaxies because they come out months apart. One will always beat the other....
No it won't beat the iPhone next year. it would need to get over 100% faster in single score and 55% faster in multi score. With the advances in foundry processes you are lucky if you get 20-30% improvement in one year. Apple still has room to add more cores to their chips but everyone else has been stuck at 8 cores for ages...

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
But how can this be? everyone keeps telling me that the 8 is outdated tech and it's foolish to spend money on it when the X is coming. It's almost like people only care about how futuristic something looks and not about what it can actually do! :rolleyes:

BLUEBLASTER

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2016
MKBHD did geek bench and compared it to the Note 8. It doesn't see that much more powerful than the Note 8

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
But how can this be? everyone keeps telling me that the 8 is outdated tech and it's foolish to spend money on it when the X is coming. It's almost like people only care about how futuristic something looks and not about what it can actually do! :rolleyes:
Which folks are telling you that? All 3 models are fantastic. I can't see a 'wrong' choice so long as it meets the buyers needs....

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
I love the difference in responses, depending on the respective forum.

iPhone fans: OMG, super fast game load time, much amazing, so wow.

Note 8 fans: OMG, multitasking god, much amazing, so wow.

I'm in the later camp. I could care less about game load times, within reason. The Note 8 is plenty fast in that area, and matches the iPhone in normal app load times. But multitasking is something I notice on a day to day basis. In my usage, that makes the note 8 more powerful. Oreo is likely to improve upon that.

I hope the these news iPhones don't become bottle necked in the near future. The iPad pro 9.7 is limited on iOS 11 multitasking, like the iphone 6 plus was before it.

It doesn't matter what camp you are in, this shouldn't be a concern with a $1000 phone. Apple could of put 4gb in, and maintained their margins. But I guess they don't have to, so why should they?

Jetcat3

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
Yep, check it out. Bonkers score right here!

Attachments

• 16DA0AF2-0E2A-4449-97D5-D6B22A5D404A.jpeg
    16DA0AF2-0E2A-4449-97D5-D6B22A5D404A.jpeg
    80.8 KB · Views: 134
Reactions: yui4

Blueline29

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Saint Augustine, FL
Fast as a lot of computers I’m sure
It’s so much faster (and this is just the 7+ I’m talking about—I don’t have the 8+ yet) than my computer that I almost never wake up the computer anymore. I have it up and running now for the sole purpose of backing up my iPhone. That’s about all it gets used for anymore.

ronincse

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Depending on what you do with your smart phone there’s plenty of tasks the Note 8 will perform faster because android is far more flexible and feature laden than iOS.

Such as? Just curious as I see this said a lot but as a constant switcher between the platforms I have never really found anything that my Android phone can do that my iPhone can't except access the file system...and honestly I have no real use for that

GuruLove

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2017
NYC
Samsung and LG may be getting the display down with infinity display and true-edgeless, Apple has to have some other advantages.
Apple doesn't invent, They perfect existing technology.
Samsung and LG may be getting the display down with infinity display and true-edgeless, Apple has to have some other advantages.
I am a first generation and on Iphone owner and have been a happy camper thus far, but in all fairness Apple really needs to step up their game.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
Such as? Just curious as I see this said a lot but as a constant switcher between the platforms I have never really found anything that my Android phone can do that my iPhone can't except access the file system...and honestly I have no real use for that

Change default apps, completely customize the user interface / launcher / notification shade (quick settings) / icons / everything, split screen multitasking, notably better notifications.

But if that isn't important (and it's not important for most people), then there isn't much difference between the two. They both are very polished OSes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.