Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Case reviews aren't often something that we do here at MacRumors because for the last several years, there's been little variation in case design since there's been little variation in iPhone design.

With the iPhone X, Apple introduced its first major design overhaul in years, so I thought I'd take a look at a wide range of cases from different manufacturers to see what's out there. Given that the iPhone X features a highly breakable glass body and high repair costs, case usage is more important than it has been in past years.

iphone-x-angled.jpg

For this review roundup (and subsequent roundups to come) I took a look at the general usability of iPhone X cases from several companies. Extreme drop tests and in-depth testing aren't covered because those factors are less important than how a case works on an average day, and it's often fairly easy to tell from design how protective a case is going to be.

Factors like bulk, button accessibility, grip, thickness, and appearance are what I focused on. With the removal of the Home button, button presses are more important, and there are a surprising number of cases out there that make the buttons a lot more tedious to press.

Many people are also curious about wireless charging. Unless otherwise mentioned, wireless charging works with all of the cases below, and that's because almost all cases are compatible with wireless charging.

Note: Several wallet-style cases are included in this review, and for the models that have card slots in the rear, you should avoid using wireless charging or remove the cards first. Apple warns that the magnetic induction used for wireless charging can reduce the performance of magnetic strips in credit cards, security badges, passports, and more.

Apple

Apple makes three cases for the iPhone X: Silicone ($39), Leather ($49), and the Leather Folio ($99). I have the Silicone case on hand because that's what I bought to use as my personal case for my iPhone X. Apple's silicone cases are some of my favorite because they're soft, offer solid grip, are easy to get on and off of the iPhone, and are always perfectly fitted without adding unnecessary bulk.

applesiliconecaseiphonex.jpg

The Silicone cases provide a small lip of material around the display to keep it from getting scratched when the iPhone is facedown, and it protects the buttons without impacting their performance. I've been using Silicone cases for a few years now and have been happy with their level of protection when dropping a device (nothing's ever broken). The one caveat is durability - without fail, these tend to start breaking down after about a year.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: iPhone X Case Review Roundup: Apple, Twelve South, Nomad, Speck and Pad & Quill

izyreal

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
USA
I would appreciate if you include Spigen in your next review. That’s what I use for my 7 plus, and I’d like to hear your thought on their iPhone X cases.

(I’m not affiliated with Spigen in any way other than being a user of their cases)

Ant2369

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2011
Connecticut
I would appreciate if you include Spigen in your next review. That’s what I use for my 7 plus, and I’d like to hear your thought on their iPhone X cases.

(I’m not affiliated with Spigen in any way other than being a user of their cases)

I was also going to say the same thing..I’ve been using Spigen since my 6S Plus and I couldn’t be more satisfied. I recommend it to friends and family who have mostly all made the switch.

I am also in no way affiliated with Spigen just a huge fan

SuperCachetes

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
I love everything about the silicone cases except that they bring my jean pocket with them when I take my phone out of my pocket.

Exactly. I hate paying $50 for a case, but for me the Apple leather case is the only choice. Many of the others at that price point (or lower) either are unwieldy entering/exiting pockets, look like children’s toys, or add too much bulk.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
I'm surprised that the wireless charging capabilities were not factored in the reviews. Do any of these allow wireless charging while in the case? Thanks!

Mentioned up top. These all worked with wireless charging, which is why I didn't explicitly say that for each review. I suspect most cases work just fine w/ wireless charging.
[doublepost=1510015301][/doublepost]
Huge fan of my Incipio Esquire fabric case. It's slim and light, leaves the buttons exposed, and is soft with a nice grip.

I have some Incipio ones on hand for my next review roundup, but not that one. I agree, it's super nice looking. I like all of the Incipio ones so far. Good brand.
[doublepost=1510015342][/doublepost]

I didn't get cases from Spigen but I'll get in touch with them and see if I can get a few to include.

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
I was also going to say the same thing..I’ve been using Spigen since my 6S Plus and I couldn’t be more satisfied. I recommend it to friends and family who have mostly all made the switch.

I am also in no way affiliated with Spigen just a huge fan

I’ve used Spigen for my 6, 7+, and now X. With Spigen, you get the highest quality for the price you pay.

Each case I’ve had from them has cost between $10-15. They’re relatively slim, but offer more protection than Apple’s offerings. They have plenty of clear options to show off your iphone’s color. In my experience, they last about a year of constant use before breaking down. IMO, that’s great for a ~$15 case.

You know how in certain video games, there’s those characters who’s stats are about “average” for each category? The safe bet that doesn’t excel in one particular area but is overall decent? That’s Spigen.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
For those who uses the Apple silicone case, does lint and dirt stick to it?

Yes, can get a little linty. Wipes right off though, so it's not too bad.
[doublepost=1510016999][/doublepost]
"so not pocketable" - Only if you're a munchkin.

I would think this would be uncomfortable in *any* pocket given its bulk, but if you regularly carry around a little moleskine or something in a pocket, it'd be somewhat similar.

jazzfade

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
Richmond, VA
I’ve been using the Nomad clear/leather combo case in the reviews and I love it! I hate covering up a phone with a case but like a little character so it’s a nice change after over a year with my jet black iPhone 7+ in a 100% clear case. However, one complaint I have is while the top portion of the back of the case is totally clear, the bumper is more of a frosted plastic, which doesn’t really show off the shiny silver band around the phone. Happy with it for my first case, will probably buy a few more over time. Planning on keeping this phone for 2 years.

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Great review, thank you. Been bummed that it seems Speck has basically abandoned their Candyshell cases (been using them since the 4) - nothing for the 8 or X (nor the 7 I believe) and am now off looking elsewhere for my future needs.

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
the nomad cases look worse than previous ones. i don't like that they put the black plastic bumper around the phone and chose not to cover it in leather, as they did with previous generations.

from what i've read, the latest apple leather cases are much better than their first ones. my wife had a leather case on her 4 that didn't wear very well...it shredded, picked up a lot of color from her pocket/purse...newer leather cases seem to be much more resilient. i have a mujjo case i'm trying right now and an apple case coming. will compare both...

jamesa

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2003
Any chance you guys can do a battery case set of reviews? I think I need more juice for this bad boy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.