iPhone X Comes Only in Space Gray and Silver With No Sign of Gold

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 12, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today at the Steve Jobs Theater introduced the iPhone X, and said the high-end smartphone will be available in Space Gray and Silver, despite multiple rumors recently about a so-called "Blush Gold" colorway.

[​IMG]

For perspective, the less expensive iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus will be available in an all-new gold finish, and beyond the plastic iPhone 5c, every model since the iPhone 5s has been available in at least one shade of gold.

Yesterday, well-connected Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said Apple may be encountering some production issues with the gold iPhone X, which could explain why Space Gray and Silver will be the only colors at launch.
    Kuo predicted that the gold iPhone X would either be available in "extremely low volume" or go on sale at a later date, but it's unclear at this point if Apple will introduce a gold model to the iPhone X lineup in the future.

Apple has introduced new colors for already-released iPhone models in the past, like the (PRODUCT)RED special edition iPhone 7, so it's certainly a possibility the iPhone X could eventually come in gold.

iPhone X can be ordered starting Friday, October 27, with in-store availability starting Friday, November 3.

Article Link: iPhone X Comes Only in Space Gray and Silver With No Sign of Gold

2. Appleaker, Sep 12, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2017

Appleaker macrumors 68000

To be honest I kind of expected this, if it weren’t for the Blush Gold rumors and reports, I would have thought it would be 2 colors only.
    It makes manufacturing the X easier and it is more fitting to have classic style colors.
    But I do still think it would have looked good in gold, perhaps we’ll see more colour introductions in the near future.

3. Nozuka macrumors 68000

anyone found realworld videos/pictures of spacegray X yet?

4. Darryl.Jenks macrumors regular

Darryl.Jenks

5. Bako-MacAddict macrumors 68000

Bako-MacAddict

What color are you guys getting? I'm going with the white and black since we haven't seen that since the 3GS.

6. Dilster3k, Sep 12, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2017

Dilster3k macrumors 6502a

Dilster3k

That copper-gold color will pop up once momentum and sales take a dip :)

Edit - Also, for black I wish they had opted for a jet-black look with silver stainless steel sides.

7. Jakewilk macrumors member

8. DrJohnnyN macrumors 6502a

DrJohnnyN

9. nviz22 macrumors 68040

nviz22

It's an ugly color. Many won't miss it.

10. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Probably dropped it as yield was so low for X anyway. No 512GB either, which is more of a surprise.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 12, 2017 ---
    Silver for me, although I’m genuinely considering the 8 Plus

11. btrach144 macrumors 65816

btrach144

Probably a mid-cycle upgrade, like how the Product-Red iPhone 7 was.

12. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

I demand an apology from mac rumors for the false reporting

13. FelixDerKater macrumors 68020

FelixDerKater

Eventually, they will sell a gold one like the Apple Watch.

14. Oblivious.Robot macrumors 6502a

Oblivious.Robot

I had my mind set on the supposedly “Black” clones, but after looking at silver or space grey, I’m thinking of silver as it remind me of my old pal 4S.

Although, I’m conflicted over saving 200$ and getting 8+ than spending it and getting X.

Anyone think if sales dip we might get something bundled in later? Maybe Music sub, AirPods or even apple care would do?

15. Sym0 macrumors 6502

Sym0

The iPhone X seems like a F-up to me, the whole new 8/X range should have had the same full screen design with just a feature set difference.

The 8 should have been an upgraded 7 in the new form factor, and the X should have had all the new goodies like Wireless charging, Face ID etc only.

16. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68040

OldSchoolMacGuy

Gold was ugly anyways. Totally cool with these choices.

I'm sure Apple has piles of sales data they consulted before making this choice to offer just 2 colors.

17. realeric macrumors 6502a

realeric

No touch ID = No buy. Goodluck with the junky face ID.

18. AndyDiamond macrumors 6502

AndyDiamond

I think the silver X looks very classy and given the fact both phones have black fronts, they look virtually the same from the front (especially when they are in a case).

As for the 8 - I'll need to see them in the flesh but they look a bit 'cheap' to me - the 'gloss' look. It is almost like Apple have gone back to 2014 colors.

IMHO space grey does not look as nice as Jet black or matt black on the 7/7Plus. I guess the glass gives a kind of jet black look. Don't get me wrong, I like space grey (I have a space grey MBP) but for a phone, hmm - going backwards...

19. CEmajr macrumors 601

Hopefully it looks closer to black. I had hoped Apple was done with the ugly Space Gray after the 7 and was going back to black.

20. dampfnudel macrumors 68030

A new color to generate a sales bump in the spring.

21. Nozuka macrumors 68000

not sure i like this color... would have prefered a deep black. guess i'm gonna go for the white one.

[​IMG]

22. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

Probably release it in March, like the Red iPhone 7

23. cknibbs macrumors member

Dear Apple,

I’ve been buying exclusively Apple products for the last 16 years. So many MacBooks, iPhones, Apple Watches, iPads, Apple TVs... I was on the fence about getting the iPhone X. It’s gorgeous... but way out of reach price wise... $1300+ CAD for a phone is insane.

24. macTW macrumors 65816

The new shade of gold for the 8 is gorgeous. Imagine that with this phone.