Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

QquegChristian

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
So little use of their “Taptic” Engine. Severely underused component. There should have been some kind of haptic feedback for swiping to home. Same as there should be haptic clicks as I type this on silent.

Color shift DOES SUCK, top 1/3 of my screen is blue as I naturally type this post. But in comparison to my iPhone 7, that screen does have a brightness shift at a similar angle. So it isn’t exactly worse on the X, but a different phenomenon.

mfldmike

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2011
ba559b90061b9c09d8a746c5d1c18f95.jpg

Double clicking the side button before Face ID authentication is used bugs the crap out of me. What was wrong with keeping it on on the bottom portion of the screen...

Figured out the other issue

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Do you think you will adjust or get used to the blue casting when moving the phone around?
I don’t know.
[doublepost=1509748472][/doublepost]
I wanted to respond to the viewing angle as it seems that many people are mentioning this. Yes I can see the blue hue on the screen when you view from a different angle. I personally feel that you have to rotate to phone to a strange viewing angle before it’s even visible. I don’t use the phone at strange angles because well that defeats the purpose. If you’re having issues with the view axis being slightly off and you’re getting a blue hue, I would be suspicious of a faulty screen or something else. I personally am not having an issue with it.

I see a color shift just by tilting the phone on both axis even slightly as I type.

patcar

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2015
I really, REALLY dislike not being able to swipe up to get control center! I have grown accustomed to using it daily, especially to adjust my screen brightness as I see necessary. It now requires two hands to be able to do. I wonder if this is something that can be updated with a new OS release?

Last edited:
Reactions: Hertz77 and Moi Ici

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
I don't like how my X has a popping noise. When I touch the bottom left or right corner and the top corner I hear a popping sound. Its pretty annoying.

Hoosier317

Suspended
Sep 21, 2016
I really, REALLY dislike not being able to swipe up to get control center! I have grown accustomed to using it daily, especially to adjust my screen brightness as I see necessary! I wonder if this is something that can be updated with a new OS release?
I hope not. It works perfectly they have it now, IMO. I’m loving the new gestures.

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
I’m typing stuff wrong because the screen size has changed from the Plus. Irritating but I guess I’ll get used to it over time.

Reactions: dk001

DiveKitty

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2017
That I don't trust myself to keep it naked and have to hide it's wonderfulness in a case. It is just too pretty to keep in a case!

FaceID is working great for me.
Notch does not bother me at all.
Because of the case, the camera bump isn't relevant (ends up flush with case).

I have fumbled with the gestures a couple times, but that is something I think will resolve itself quite quickly.

It is a very nice upgrade from my 5s!

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
Most useful thread all week. Beats the "best ever / I love my X so much after less than a few hours" threads. I don't learn anything from them I don't already know.

I don't want to be a buzzkill or bad trip to new X owners. But seriously, already in love after less than a day? It will have flaws. Don't need to feel sorry for 8 / 8 Plus owners.

It's like asking your tipsy friend who is still peaking on his Ecstasy and cocaine high to drive you home. They're still intoxicated from new car scent. The buzz will wear off. Settle down.

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon
So little use of their “Taptic” Engine. Severely underused component. There should have been some kind of haptic feedback for swiping to home. Same as there should be haptic clicks as I type this on silent.

Color shift DOES SUCK, top 1/3 of my screen is blue as I naturally type this post. But in comparison to my iPhone 7, that screen does have a brightness shift at a similar angle. So it isn’t exactly worse on the X, but a different phenomenon.

Where IS the Taptic Engine used now? I haven’t heard this discussed at all.
[doublepost=1509751352][/doublepost]
I’m playing with my wife’s X now and I will say, the notch isn’t as obnoxious as I expected it to be.

I really hope you didn’t say that to her.

booksbooks

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 28, 2013
I wanted to respond to the viewing angle as it seems that many people are mentioning this. Yes I can see the blue hue on the screen when you view from a different angle. I personally feel that you have to rotate to phone to a strange viewing angle before it’s even visible. I don’t use the phone at strange angles because well that defeats the purpose. If you’re having issues with the view axis being slightly off and you’re getting a blue hue, I would be suspicious of a faulty screen or something else. I personally am not having an issue with it.

The blue tint on tilt is absolutely there, even on slight tilting, and it's noticeable. This OLED screen doesn't hold a candle to the standard IPS LCD Retina on Apple's previous iPhones.

It's fine in the sense that I can look at the screen and use the device and not get that tint, but it doesn't take much of a tilt for it to show. This is a very poor user experience and Apple should have perfected this part of the screen before shipping this device.

In 5 years, once all of this stuff is worked out and things have advanced, the current iPhone X will be worth about 200 bucks.

amarano

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2014
anyone know how to remove the globe and microphone on the bottom of the screen when the keyboard is open?

deadworlds

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
Citrus Heights,CA
The blue tint on tilt is absolutely there, even on slight tilting, and it's noticeable. This OLED screen doesn't hold a candle to the standard IPS LCD Retina on Apple's previous iPhones.

It's fine in the sense that I can look at the screen and use the device and not get that tint, but it doesn't take much of a tilt for it to show. This is a very poor user experience and Apple should have perfected this part of the screen before shipping this device.

In 5 years, once all of this stuff is worked out and things have advanced, the current iPhone X will be worth about 200 bucks.
You realize that tint shift is a known problem with all OLEDs.

Reactions: 5105973

lilj4425

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2007
You can’t see the battery percentage on the home screen at the top right. You have to use the widget or control center to see it.

Reactions: DotCom2

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon

I’d say that if your $1000 consumer electronic with planned obsolescence is still worth $200 in five years, you will have done very, very well.

Honestly, these screen things always come up. And I always wonder how much of it is just due to familiarity with something different, and so the new implementation looks wrong. Fortunately for me, I’m not very observant. :)

DiveKitty

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2017

You can say something about that like ANYTHING that comes out today. "In five years, things will be different". Yes. Of course they will be. Especially in tech. That does not mean that what we have now isn't great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.