Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

booksbooks

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 28, 2013
I guess time will tell with more data and information whether this is a real problem or not, but this person's Space Grey iPhone X's surface is terribly flaked. If it's true, and if the surface is easily flaked, it reminds me of the early Titanium PowerBooks that flaked bad.

I can tell you this. After spending so much money on this phone, people will not be happy if this becomes widespread.

Now, does anyone want to partner on an iPhone X refinishing business?

6OZyTZv.jpg

Read more with photos:

http://bgr.com/2017/11/15/iphone-x-space-gray-stainless-steel-scratches-photos/

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
That passes for journalism these days? I'd say its worth reading the linked-to article just to see how bad it is, but its really not worth your time.

If this happens to your phone and you've literally done nothing to cause it, take it to Apple. I know that won't get you any attention on the interweb, but chances are it will get you a replacement phone.

And who had 13 days for the first use of the word "gate"?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I guess time will tell with more data and information whether this is a real problem or not, but this person's Space Grey iPhone X's surface is terribly flaked. If it's true, and if the surface is easily flaked, it reminds me of the early Titanium PowerBooks that flaked bad.

I can tell you this. After spending so much money on this phone, people will not be happy if this becomes widespread.

6OZyTZv.jpg

Read more with photos:

Let's not start generating "FlakeGate" headlines over one iPhone that's not even yours, based off an article that you read on the Internet. I'm not saying it's not factual what happened in the article or the photo itself, but it very well could be this one iPhone has a defect or something else that's going on here that we don't know either.

But if it becomes a widespread problem, then Apple will certainly know about it.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Non article, you may as well have posted an article about paint flaking of a surface. It could happen with anything.

On a much more interesting note though, how long will it be until someone polishes down a sg model to give it a pure SS look?!

I did see one forum member actually gold plate the stainless silver iPhone X bands, which looked rather interesting.

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
Looks like a story on things that could happen to your X when you don’t care how you treat it. He even warns about protection at the end.

The first picture with dead center picture of the SG X showing the lightning port and the speaker holes. I would suspect something like this happening after a long period of normal use and wear and ONLY if the coating truly does rub away over time. I’ve seen this type of look on Android phones that have been used without a case and tossed about with no care. The coating rubbed or chipped away. It just takes time and a truly blasé attitude towards your phone.

The picture showing the “flaked off” coating on the trim could be legit, but it could have started from a nasty drop. Genuine chipping there would be defective though and I’d be returning it.

Is the last picture a silver iPhone? Because that looks like normal scratches that can be sustained on SS depending on how rough you are with you phone. The owner may be able to polish most of them out.

Not sure what these people are doing with their phones, but if Apple made claims that the X would remain in pristine condition regardless of how you treat it, I missed it. Either way, we need a lot more flaking reports before calling this a -gate.

Gryzor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
So, looking at the state of the phone in genera I would say that it's one badly abused phone. Sorry, but that thing is f****d. It's clearly been dropped and brushed against stuff that wouldn't be in normal pockets. I doubt that Apple would warrant a replacement based on its overall condition.

No phone is going to stay pristine unless you have complete protection around it though. Mine is in an official, well-fitting leather case. Only the screen and bottom section is open. I've never, ever had a mark or scratch on ANY phone I've ever had, and my SE had some pretty major knocks. Wireless charging also helps prevent any scuffing from carelessly trying to plug in the lightning cable.

Bottom line, look after your phone and it'll stay looking nice. Don't and it won't.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
So, looking at the state of the phone in genera I would say that it's one badly abused phone. Sorry, but that thing is f****d. It's clearly been dropped and brushed against stuff that wouldn't be in normal pockets. I doubt that Apple would warrant a replacement based on its overall condition.

No phone is going to stay pristine unless you have complete protection around it though. Mine is in an official, well-fitting leather case. Only the screen and bottom section is open. I've never, ever had a mark or scratch on ANY phone I've ever had, and my SE had some pretty major knocks. Wireless charging also helps prevent any scuffing from carelessly trying to plug in the lightning cable.

Bottom line, look after your phone and it'll stay looking nice. Don't and it won't.
doesn't looked dropped or dinged to me really.
[doublepost=1510828184][/doublepost]glad I went with silver haha

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Freezer001

Suspended
Nov 6, 2017
Apologists for what? The phone has clearly been mistreated. It’s not flakes; it’s scratches.
Clearly the coating flakes off. Pretty poor application process of the coating is apparent.
[doublepost=1510829104][/doublepost]Almost looks like a scratchers lottery ticket coating lol

Reactions: Aydy

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Actually looks like they’re doing a wear test on the phone. Anyone that can do that to a phone in less than a month needs a case

Last edited:

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL

6OZyTZv.jpg

Read more with photos:

The OP is the only person in the world claiming the finish is flaking off.

Neither the article nor the user who posted the photos make that claim.

Last edited:

Freezer001

Suspended
Nov 6, 2017
How this is a surprise to anyone is simply amazing. Putting a coating on polished stainless steel is just an invitation for this type of phenomenon.

Looks exactly like my old bmx bike frame. Had a coating on polished stainless steel. Flaked off/wore off, whatever you want to call it, exactly like this picture.

Or if it’s not polished stainless steel underneath, correct me if I’m wrong...

Reactions: booksbooks

booksbooks

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 28, 2013
The OP is the only person in the world claiming the finish is flaking off.

Neither the article nor the user who posted the photos make that claim.

The paint has flaked off. Whether it's from abuse, intentional, or otherwise, that's what the photos show. They don't show that the paint is scuffed. They don't show that the paint is imperfect. They show that chunks of the paint have FLAKED OFF.

The bottom line is this: whatever the cause, the finish has flaked off, leaving parts of the finish intact. A chunk has come off, and other bits down by the speakers have flaked off. What's revealed underneath is slick stainless steel totally intact.

There's no point in making excuses for Apple. iPhones are extremely delicate and not durable. This is nothing new. But it's something that bothers me as a customer. I want more durable products. These are far too delicate. If the surface of these are prone to flaking, then it will suck, just like the Titanium PowerBooks.

For the record:
  • I have never stated that this is a widespread problem.
  • I have never stated that I fully believe what's in the article. However, I don't disbelieve it either, since I have no evidence to support that.
  • I have never stated that I know the root cause of the paint flaking in the photos/article, just that the paint has flaked off.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
The paint has flaked off. Whether it's from abuse, intentional, or otherwise, that's what the photos show. They don't show that the paint is scuffed. They don't show that the paint is imperfect. They show that chunks of the paint have FLAKED OFF.

The bottom line is this: whatever the cause, the finish has flaked off, leaving parts of the finish intact. A chunk has come off, and other bits down by the speakers have flaked off.

There's no point in making excuses for Apple. iPhones are extremely delicate and not durable. This is nothing new. But it's something that bothers me as a customer. I want more durable products. These are far too delicate. If the surface of these are prone to flaking, then it will suck, just like the Titanium PowerBooks.

For the record:
  • I have never stated that this is a widespread problem.
  • I have never stated that I fully believe what's in the article. However, I don't disbelieve it either, since I have no evidence to support that.
  • I have never stated that I know the root cause of the paint flaking in the photos/article, just that the paint has flaked off.
You are starting a thread and making allegations you can’t substantiate.

You are making claims no one else has.

What is your agenda?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.