Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kshitijshah

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2012
I have had several metal side buttons on the Apple leather cases peel. I wonder if it is the same coating.

JaySCT

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2009
It's real and happening it seems. A lot of reports on Google and our adult son just noticed today that a whole strip near the Micro SD slot has lost the space gray coating and is now silver. No abuse, no drops, case around it.. Something's not right with at least some portion of the SG X's. TOO many people reporting it. These are not the first Space Gray phones, but it is a new process.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It's real and happening it seems. A lot of reports on Google and our adult son just noticed today that a whole strip near the Micro SD slot has lost the space gray coating and is now silver. No abuse, no drops, case around it.. Something's not right with at least some portion of the SG X's. TOO many people reporting it. These are not the first Space Gray phones, but it is a new process.

Curious to see if Apple retains the space gray iPhone X in 2018 or if they do retain It, do they improve the physical vapor deposition coating.

dstew201

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2016
happened to me also! Bought the phone on 2/18.

Attachments

• IMG_1493.jpg
    IMG_1493.jpg
    772.7 KB · Views: 319

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Glad I returned my space gray max for silver model. The band feels better to me raw also

dstew201

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2016
Glad I returned my space gray max for silver model. The band feels better to me raw also

Have to agree with you, I had the silver originally, then switched to the gold. I had both in my possession for about 3 weeks, and the silver felt more like a 'solid hunk of steel' in my hand (best way to describe my perception).

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Have to agree with you, I had the silver originally, then switched to the gold. I had both in my possession for about 3 weeks, and the silver felt more like a 'solid hunk of steel' in my hand (best way to describe my perception).
I returned the space gray one because it jusy looked like a + phone and the band jusy felt like a coated piece. Like a finish on top of something. Kinda cheap feeling coming from my silver x. Went back to the silver version. Jusy feels so much more premium. Of course I’m caseless or I wouldn’t care :)

dstew201

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2016
I returned the space gray one because it jusy looked like a + phone and the band jusy felt like a coated piece. Like a finish on top of something. Kinda cheap feeling coming from my silver x. Went back to the silver version. Jusy feels so much more premium. Of course I’m caseless or I wouldn’t care :)

Gold is definitely a looker, but I have to agree with your assessment, the silver had a premium feel to it, which is why i held onto it for so long, eventually settled with gold since it's going to be in a case.

Reactions: x-evil-x
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.