iPhone X iPhone X GPS problem

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by purpleparrotuk, Sep 15, 2018.

1. purpleparrotuk macrumors 6502a

purpleparrotuk

So I’m taking my iPhone into Apple today. When I use Waze etc it keeps drifting away from the road and takes a few seconds to get back on track. The iPhone 7 never does this. I have compared both phones with the gps diagnostic app and the 7 has a much stronger gps than the x.
    I have tried all the tricks online about taking the sim out, reset network settings etc but doesn’t seem to make a difference.

Because of the weaker gps could it be that the heated windscreen or dashcam in my car is interfering with it? It probably interferes with the 7 but because of the stronger signal it doesn’t make it go off track.

Just wondered if it’s worth them replacing the phone to try a new one or if the same is going to happen with all the phones since the gps signal is not as good on an X compared to 7. After googling it’s seems to be a difference of opinion.

2. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

For me GPS drift is worse on my X than the 6S I came from. Hoping the XS has improved it.

3. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

I have the same issue with my X. I’ve tried everything also and I’m convinced it’s a hardware issue. My 6s is always spot on with my location, the X jumps around. If I leave the map app on for awhile eventually it zeros in on my location.

4. purpleparrotuk thread starter macrumors 6502a

purpleparrotuk

Thanks for the replies. Makes me wonder if all the X phones do this and I’m wasting my time if they replace it.

5. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

If I was keeping the phone I would replace it. I’ve only read a handful of complaints with the gps jumping around and they all were solved with a replacement. I’m due for an upgrade December so I’m not going to bother replacing mine. I’m sure the Xs will solve the problem..

6. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

Well it’s seems iOS12 has fixed my poor gps performance. It’s been perfectly showing my location since the update this morning

7. joeblough macrumors 6502

my new-to-me iphoneX was doing this the other day. i reset the network settings and it seems to be working properly again, but who knows for how long. have never seen this with any other iphone i've ever owned.

most of the stuff i read online about this happened in the ios11 timeframe, or in the ios12 beta timeframe, so maybe it is not a widespread issue anymore? apple seemed very reluctant to entertain the idea that the problem is related to hardware, but then again that's probably their normal response to any iphone issue.

8. Banglazed macrumors demi-god

Banglazed

Have you tried to reset location and privacy?

9. joeblough macrumors 6502

not yet, i will try that if the problem comes back. the thing is it must be real - my dad owned the phone all last year and he said that from time to time he had to reboot it to make map navigation work right. so that's 2 different operating system versions and 2 different user software environments but the same problem. to me that rules out a software issue, but who knows.

10. joeblough macrumors 6502

came back to say that the problem persists despite a variety of resets. i don't often drive to places i don't already know, but lately i have been doing more driving / needing directions and have gotten lost once due to the bad GPS.

i do have applecare+ and i assume apple is going to fight me tooth and nail if i try to get this thing replaced, since the applecare+ runs out in a few months.

i wonder what happened with OP's iPhone X

11. purpleparrotuk thread starter macrumors 6502a

purpleparrotuk

Hi. I just think all the iPhone X’s are the same. Changing them will make no difference. I haven’t really used my phone for gps since so can’t really say if iOS 12 has helped or not because haven’t really tried it. We use hubby’s iPhone 7 instead over CarPlay.

12. Tom G. macrumors 68020

Tom G.

The original posting mentions this as happening while using the Waze app, does it also happen when using the Apple map or other navigational apps? In other words could it be the app that is the problem?

13. joeblough macrumors 6502

that sucks. i dont think ios12 helped me. my wife has an Xs and using the GPSdiagnostic app i can see that the gps signal strengths are uniformly higher on the Xs even when both phones are sitting next to one another. i should try this while driving - it could be that it just takes longer for the X to get a lock when its moving. not that will help me solve it.
    --- Post Merged, May 10, 2019 ---
    for me anyway the app doesn't matter - apple maps or google maps do the same thing.

14. robrobrobro macrumors newbie

Ok it's really interesting that this thread just resurfaced. I had purchased a refurbished X last week, and was LOVING it, until I realized that the GPS doesn't work. I usually use Google Maps, but then I downloaded Apple Maps, and that didn't work either. Same issues described by the OP.
    I literally just got back from the store after returning it. I'm bummed, but thankful I realized this within the return window. It sucks because the phone had the best speed and cell reception out of any phone I've owned. But GPS is a MUST for me. I was going to purchase another refurb X, but now thinking maybe that's not the best idea.
    Does anyone out there have an X with perfectly functioning GPS? Would love to know this before deciding my next move.

15. joeblough macrumors 6502

well i just noticed this post in the "similar threads" below:

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...is-it-better-than-the-intel-iphone-x.2152467/

no replies, but there's another person with a lousy X GPS.

googling "intel iphone X gps", i came across this:

https://medium.com/@plotupdates/iphone-x-gps-defects-553491037a50

so there's at least circumstantial evidence that all intel iphoneX suck at GPS. it would seem that the trick would be to get apple to replace your phone with model A1865 but who knows if anyone has been successful at that.

16. robrobrobro macrumors newbie

Ugh, sadly the refurb one I had purchased and since returned was A1865, and still had unusable GPS. I hope some people chime in stating their X GPS works fine, in which case I might try another refurb.

17. joeblough macrumors 6502

bogus... i was going to try to fight apple on this since i have applecare+ but it sounds like it may not be worth the hassle.