Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mazdamiata210

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
Yeah great, still needs charging every day though right? = no better in daily life. Why did you swap to something inferior then if it was so good?

I didn't I returned my X cause the battery didn't last through the day where my Plus did. Try again.

And if you could read you'd see that the phone went 2 days, so no... it doesn't have to be charged every day.

fr4c

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2007
Hamster wheel
On or off it never made a difference to me... All I see is 1% 1% 1% 1% 1% 1% 1% 1% 1% 1% 1% 1% 1% 1% 1% down the list but you can't see their most used apps, so that means they fakes those numbers by playing back music and never used their phone for anything else since music playback increases usage time but uses very little power.
Well in order to get a screenshot for the battery usage stats he would have to scroll down, which is why you see the 1% battery usage apps since they’re at the bottom of the list.

My point is I believe the user can get those numbers since background app refresh is off, as outside of cell activity the phone is doing basicallly nothing in the background. I’d imagine if I turned everything off on my 8+ I can probably get 20hrs of use but then that defeats the purpose of having a smartphone.

So people should not expect 13 hours out of the X unless they have their phones setup like The Game (background refresh off), which I assume most people have on for push email and other notifications.

Ayemerica

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Atlantis but in space
I had the 8+ since launch and now having the X since the 5th, I can assure you that the X head to head in a perfect bubble where you could replicate my usage for that day along side the 8+ it would run out faster than the 8+, possibly even the 7+. By the end of day the day when. hop on the train I'm sitting at 15-17% on the X, as with the 8+ I would have around 29-35% left.

mazdamiata210

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
Well in order to get a screenshot for the battery usage stats he would have to scroll down, which is why you see the 1% battery usage apps since they’re at the bottom of the list.

My point is I believe the user can get those numbers since background app refresh is off, as outside of cell activity the phone is doing basicallly nothing in the background. I’d imagine if I turned everything off on my 8+ I can probably get 20hrs of use but then that defeats the purpose of having a smartphone.

So people should not expect 13 hours out of the X unless they have their phones setup like The Game (background refresh off), which I assume most people have on for push email and other notifications.

Exactly my point, he didn't actually use the phone to get 13 hours of use. Most likely they played music to manipulate the numbers and make it seem like the phone was actively being used for 13 hours. If the display was lit up for 13 hours it would've been dead at the 8 hour mark.

Also, he could've did a screen capture to prove me wrong or simply post multiple screenshots that show the entire app list. But they can't because it will show some app at the top of the list which is increasing usage without actually using very much battery life.
[doublepost=1510235447][/doublepost]
I had the 8+ since launch and now having the X since the 5th, I can assure you that the X head to head in a perfect bubble where you could replicate my usage for that day along side the 8+ it would run out faster than the 8+, possibly even the 7+. By the end of day the day when. hop on the train I'm sitting at 15-17% on the X, as with the 8+ I would have around 29-35% left.

Thank you, finally someone who isn't lying about their usage lol

USC_Gamecock

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2004
HTX
So here is another YouTube video which shows the X has a much better battery than an IPhone 8 Plus . But I know the 8 plus and etc. owners are going to find a way to say the test is faulty. But I’ll just leave this here for discussion.

In my usage -- my iPhone 7+ had better battery life. I ended the day around 60% with the 7+, and I am around 35% at the end of the day with the X. Still lasts all day, so I'm good.

playtillyadrop

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2011
Hopefully people realize that the iphone x actually has a slightly larger battery than the plus models, so its not out of this world to suggest the it could be true that the battery life is better.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Apple is really clear about the battery times on all of the currently shipping devices, and compares them to the older 7. iFixit Has also confirmed the battery size as Apple claims during their respective tear downs. As with anything battery related, YMMV, so it would be hard to say that the X is any better than the plus given a single use case.

CC7804D8-B098-4073-92CF-E09686155106.jpeg
5A90DF6A-D6A0-4AF5-9F7F-D910AE39FDEF.jpeg

Even if done with a series of phones, there are other factors such as cell signal, wifi signal, brightness used, motion tracking, etc that impact how much battery is impacted. Even if the screen is off all day, a person that is highly active and moving around will use more battery than someone who leaves theirs sitting on a desk. Motion tracking and switching towers for signals, and joining wifi all sucks down a little battery life.

For anyone claiming 8 hours of battery on their X is SO GREAT!!!

Take a look at what my 3 year old 6 Plus did in it's prime every day...

-piYOgRlT5quFb1sac5eUg.png

All I see is 1%1%1%1%1%1%1%1%1%1%1%1%1%1%1% down the list so that means they fakes those numbers by playing back music and never used their phone for anything else. Apple says 60+ hours of music playback.

Your screenshot is equally vague, and we could quite honestly accuse you of the same type of usage.

If I cared / wanted to argue about it, I could also play devil’s advocate and claim that your screenshot somewhat disingenuous as well. IOS 8 (which the 6+ shipped with) had the ability to show you applications that were using battery life, which is cropped out of your image. You also cropped out the section that would have shown “iPhone has been plugged in since the last full charge” as well.

CF7DE0B2-2857-49D5-98C4-4A27EF0A16A1.jpeg

After plugged in.

0F838A1E-0E55-4379-B935-408621C38C55.jpeg

Cropped like your example
ED3AFC27-AE52-4DC2-93CF-09DD235933DF.jpeg

At the end of the day, I don’t really care if it is genuine or not, as I don’t have a 6+, and my use doesn’t likely exactly match anyone else’s in this thread.

Reactions: Aftermath747

mazdamiata210

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
Apple is really clear about the battery times on all of the currently shipping devices, and compares them to the older 7. iFixit Has also confirmed the battery size as Apple claims during their respective tear downs. As with anything battery related, YMMV, so it would be hard to say that the X is any better than the plus given a single use case.

View attachment 733955
View attachment 733958

Even if done with a series of phones, there are other factors such as cell signal, wifi signal, brightness used, motion tracking, etc that impact how much battery is impacted. Even if the screen is off all day, a person that is highly active and moving around will use more battery than someone who leaves theirs sitting on a desk. Motion tracking and switching towers for signals, and joining wifi all sucks down a little battery life.

Your screenshot is equally vague, and we could quite honestly accuse you of the same type of usage.

If I cared / wanted to argue about it, I could also play devil’s advocate and claim that your screenshot somewhat disingenuous as well. IOS 8 (which the 6+ shipped with) had the ability to show you applications that were using battery life, which is cropped out of your image. You also cropped out the section that would have shown “iPhone has been plugged in since the last full charge” as well.

View attachment 733962

After plugged in.

View attachment 733963

Cropped like your example
View attachment 733961

At the end of the day, I don’t really care if it is genuine or not, as I don’t have a 6+, and my use doesn’t likely exactly match anyone else’s in this thread.

zywHewd4Sau3MOEC18mBUw.png

Cropped to fit better on the screen. It's a 3 year old screenshot. If you want me to replicate it on my 6S Plus I will. But I know I had an X for 4 days that died on me every day, and I have a 2 year old Plus that is at 50+% every night when I go to sleep. Which last longer? Hmmm tough choice. Go ahead and say usage varies so it's not a judge. I used my X less, with less apps, and more things turned off to save battery because I knew it'd die. Where as my Plus I purposely don't care if I drain the battery because I know it won't die.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
zywHewd4Sau3MOEC18mBUw.png

Cropped to fit better on the screen. It's a 3 year old screenshot. If you want me to replicate it on my 6S Plus I will. But I know I had an X for 4 days that died on me every day, and I have a 2 year old Plus that is at 50+% every night when I go to sleep. Which last longer? Hmmm tough choice. Go ahead and say usage varies so it's not a judge. I used my X less, with less apps, and more things turned off to save battery because I knew it'd die. Where as my Plus I purposely don't care if I drain the battery because I know it won't die.
As I said, I don’t really care. Just found the vagueness of your photo comical considering you attacking others for being somewhat vague themselves. Wasn’t aware you could turn off the app usage section in iOS 8 though, so your screenshot is a first for me.

And actually, Use does matter, my plus phones never lasted a full day, but I think I use battery more than the average person.

Hotspot all day because of work policies, and I actually take and edit lots of video on my phone.

With anything battery YMMV.

mazdamiata210

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
As I said, I don’t really care. Just found the vagueness of your photo comical considering you attacking others for being somewhat vague themselves. Wasn’t aware you could turn off the app usage section in iOS 8 though, so your screenshot is a first for me.

And actually, Use does matter, my plus phones never lasted a full day, but I think I use battery more than the average person.

Hotspot all day because of work policies, and I actually take and edit lots of video on my phone.

With anything battery YMMV.

I never said usage doesn't vary per person... But the only way to get 14+ hours on an X is through audio playback. There's tons of pictures proving the X only get 7-8 hours of real screen on usage which is impressing people coming from a regular sized 6,7,8 because they would only get 5-6 hours of usage. Yet there's only a handful of people with these crazy 14+ hour stat pages that show 1% usage on every app down the line yet do not show the top of their most used apps.

If you want I can let my Plus play music for 80+ hours and post it to show my Plus lasted that long. Will that prove my Plus lasted 80 hours? No because it sat on my desk not being used, with the screen off the entire time. That's not real world use.

Reactions: Simacca

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I never said usage doesn't vary per person... But the only way to get 14+ hours on an X is through audio playback. There's tons of pictures proving the X only get 7-8 hours of real screen on usage which is impressing people coming from a regular sized 6,7,8 because they would only get 5-6 hours of usage. Yet there's only a handful of people with these crazy 14+ hour stat pages that show 1% usage on every app down the line yet do not show the top of their most used apps.

If you want I can let my Plus play music for 80+ hours and post it to show my Plus lasted that long. Will that prove my Plus lasted 80 hours? No because it sat on my desk not being used, with the screen off the entire time. That's not real world use.
Like I said, I don’t really care.

I am active on iMore as well, and there are quite a few posts showing plus phones with 2 days plus usage.

Happy with my X, and my 7 overall, and just nice to see people enjoying their devices.

born2runak

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2012
I agree with the plus users - my 7 Plus seems to have better battery as well. I did my own test this morning, and running the 7 plus (which shows a 10percent battery degradation) did better than my X. Only tested it for about 20 minutes running the same apps, videos etc, but the plus drained less quickly

Reactions: MyMacintosh

mazdamiata210

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014

GO TO 4:12

Wait... What? You mean I was right?! Wow crazy. I know what I'm talking about. Huh. What a shocker. /s

zhandri

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012

GO TO 4:12

Wait... What? You mean I was right?! Wow crazy. I know what I'm talking about. Huh. What a shocker. /s
Damn! A youtuber with 53k subs! What a reliable source! He‘s probably just quoting the spec sheet. Posting something like this against all the real life battery tests that have been posted on this thread seems kinda desperate...

jamin00

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2012
Essex, UK.
Ive posted on a couple of threads about battery life on the X now as Im blown away by how good it is. Never had an iPhone that would not need charging at the end of every day and also the fact my 7+ went to crap on iOS11 has likely made this seem even better but I dont need to charge every day now so far.

Attachments

• 2017-11-09 22.13.25.png
    2017-11-09 22.13.25.png
    480.7 KB · Views: 131

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
Mine just keeps getting better. Yesterday, put it on the charger at 3% with 9h50m use and 18 hours off the charger. Top apps were safari, Twitter, instagram, and Netflix.

Loving this phone.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
I don’t have a X but my 7 Plus with heavy usage on Safari, Instagram, Messages, Camera will get me to 50% by 5-6pm. If the phone can get me through an entire day with heavy use, I don’t care if it’s got 10% or 50% remaining. Because either way, the phone will likely have to be charged overnight which I do any way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.