iPhone X Impressions: 'Striking' Display and 'Sensational-Looking' Design Make High Price Worth It

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 12, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple just officially announced the iPhone X, its all-new, drastically redesigned, tenth anniversary iPhone. Right after the keynote where it debuted, reporters were treated to the hands-on demo room within the Steve Jobs Theater where they got to be among the first people in the world to hold an iPhone X. Below we'll round up some of the first impressions on the device, which many publications are describing as "beautiful," "striking," and a "sensational-looking" iPhone.

SlashGear called the iPhone X "familiar, and yet so very different," alluding to the aluminum casing of the new iPhone that matches the original iPhone's design, while also commenting on the "striking" OLED display. While other smartphones have had OLED screens, SlashGear said the iPhone X "takes it to another level," with text and graphics that look "embedded into the toughened glass" of the display.

[​IMG]

Although the top "notch" of the screen looked intrusive in viewing some photos and videos, the site largely said that it shouldn't get in the way much elsewhere.
    The Verge said that the "star of the show" for the iPhone X is its 5.8-inch OLED screen, which goes to great lengths in proving that an iPhone without a Home Button can actually work. Furthermore, the site said Face ID "actually works," with a nearby Apple demo assistant repeatedly showing off the biometric security feature, which "worked every time" even under the bright and erratic conditions of the demo area.

The Verge continued by noting a few of the iPhone X's control gestures will likely take some time to get used to, including swiping up to go home, but over time the site predicted it'll become just as natural as current UI controls on iOS 10. Like many sites, The Verge noted the $999 price tag for the starting model of the iPhone X, but said that for most users it'll feel "worth it."
    TechRadar called the iPhone X "easily, easily the best-looking phone Apple's ever made," with rear glass that feels "solid and secure" in the hand and the rounded edges and light form factor make it "pleasant to hold," although fingerprints will be a problem. Despite being slightly smaller than an iPhone 7 Plus, TechRadar noted that some iPhone X gestures will still require two hands, and pointed out that "you can't reach the top right-hand corner as easily" for bringing up the new control center.

[​IMG]

Unlike The Verge's experience, TechRadar described a questionable demo experience with Face ID, where the demo worker had to keep turning the display off and on to active the facial recognition system. Still, it noted that daily testing will be required to truly see the potential of Face ID -- as well as all of the iPhone X's new features -- and came away largely impressed by the smartphone, particularly the display.
    According to iMore's Rene Ritchie, the Face ID feature in the iPhone X will store just one face at a time, so only one person will be able to unlock a given device. To switch faces, the Face ID feature will need to be reset.

The iPhone X will officially be up for pre-order on October 27, and then go on sale November 3, starting at $999 for the 64GB version and rising to $1,149 for the 256GB version. Apple revealed the iPhone X earlier today, alongside the iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, Apple Watch Series 3, and Apple TV 4K.

Article Link: iPhone X Impressions: 'Striking' Display and 'Sensational-Looking' Design Make High Price Worth It

2. Appleaker macrumors 68000

It does look better in hands on images, but it’ll depend how good the navigation and Face ID is to determine athletes it’s worth it or not.

Personally I would like an option for the bar to be used as a button, but that’s mainly because I love the Taptic home button on the 7/8. And touch to wake could have been turned into press to wake, which would have been better as well.

3. Stiss macrumors 6502a

It certainly has a premium look.
    I think it's the kind of device that will appeal to some and not others in terms of the design and the cut out at the top of the display, it will drive some people mad.

4. mr.steevo macrumors 65816

mr.steevo

$1320 in Canada for the 64GB version.

I'm stepping out of line.

5. raniel, Sep 12, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2017

raniel macrumors regular

raniel

I cried a little when FaceId failed during the demo.

QUESTION:
    How to make screenshot without home button?

6. Hustler1337, Sep 12, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2017

Hustler1337 macrumors 65816

Hustler1337

I know it's been said countless times, but the notch on the front of the screen is not good design, no matter how 'striking' the screen is. If you want OLED, there's other phones out there with striking displays, it's nothing better. Apple could have easily solved the notch issue if they stopped the display from 'wrapping around' the front camera/sensor panel.

As for the rear, i'm personally not a fan of that either, it's basically the iPhone 8 (or iPhone 7 with a shiny glass coating) with the camera switched to a vertical orientation.

Apart from FaceID being the best in class at present and the introduction of live emojis, nothing else has been revolutionary from Apple. Even then, you've got to wonder whether FaceID is really much more useful than TouchID and live emojis may prove itself to be more of a fad that's only ever useful if your contacts have iMessage. Neither is worth $1,000 for me as it fails to add any real value.

7. FaasNat macrumors regular

FaasNat

8. mmm1345 macrumors regular

mmm1345

I don't know, maybe all the leaks spoiled it for me. But other than the gorgeous new design, I don't see anything here that's truly "revolutionary." That justifies spending almost $1,400. I say $1,400 because I'm assuming the 256 GB model will be $1,100 plus $250 for AppleCare and taxes. And the iPhone 8 looks exactly the same as the 7. Kind of disappointed in the iPhone line up.

9. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Looking forward to seeing one in person . I do like the styling , hate the missing home button.

10. KB24Slam macrumors newbie

KB24Slam

Does anyone know if we’ll be able to line up for the X or will it be similar to the 7 plus launch where it wasn’t available in stores? I know it will probably be the biggest launch in iPhone history but just curious if anyone has any thoughts.

11. travelsheep macrumors regular

travelsheep

Super beautiful phone, like in "Michael Cera is super beautiful"

12. Serelus macrumors 6502a

Serelus

Again, everyone wanted it to look like this: [​IMG]

Instead we get a hindrance on screen ****ing come on.. this is your anniversary phone. It would've been flawless that way.

13. Kavu33 macrumors newbie

about privacy and face id .. now anyone can take your phone put it in front of your face and unlock your phone .. police will love this!

14. WatchTheThrone macrumors regular

WatchTheThrone

I've always bought the S variant of the iPhone since the 3GS and after that FaceId fail with Craig I will continue to do so. Let them iron out the bugs and wait for iPhone X Series 2. Or iPhone XS (that sounds weird)

15. Jsameds macrumors 68030

16. Regeneration macrumors newbie

Regeneration

The notch doesn't really bothered me until they showed us when ur watching a movie in full screen, there no black bars and they embraced the notch even there which looks like cutting out video

17. groovyf macrumors 6502

I'm lookng at the UK price of the 256GB X... my eyes are watering... but I'm also eager to hit that Pre-order button next month.
    I have a 7... the 8 isn't a big enough of an upgrade. Still trying to justify the X

18. BaltimoreMediaBlog macrumors 6502

BaltimoreMediaBlog

The Fanboyism here is garishly disturbing. The FACE ID failed in the demo and yet everyone is applauding it.

This will not be easy to use in the car while driving at all. Nobody is even mentioning that.

19. DrJohnnyN macrumors 6502a

DrJohnnyN

20. deany macrumors 68020

deany

Still not tempted by iPhone "Notch" @ parity with USA $999 = UK £999 with exchange rate currently at £1.00 = $1.33
    price should be £752.44p NOT £999.00

A grand for a phone, you've gotta be kidding.

21. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

As much as I want it, I just can't justify $23,499 MXN on a phone :(

22. JesperA macrumors 6502a

Hope they fix the control center animation on iPhone X, it still animate from bottom up even though the gesture on X is drag down from the top, not a biggie but i sure they will fix it.

23. Jsameds macrumors 68030

Don’t like the idea? Disable it and just use a passcode. Same goes for TouchID.

Or better yet, if you don’t want it, don’t buy it.

24. sequential macrumors newbie

Obviously haven't seen it in person but it looks terrible on photos. And the price is ridiculous where I'm at. No thanks Apple.

25. cableguy84 macrumors 6502a

cableguy84

That screen looks great, the objects "pop" up from the screen. The notch ruins it though