iPhone X in-store pick up - chances NOT getting phone

laptech

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
I know from past experiences in-store pickup's have been sacrificed at the expense of those who have queued for days camping outside the store with the in-store pick up's stock being given over to the shop's floor stock so there is something for customers to buy rather than being told all stock has been used for in-store pickup's only.

So, what are the chances the same will happen to the iphone x, store managers realizing they underestimated stock levels and make the decision to use some of the in-store pickups to be sold as normal store units. Thereby in-store pickup customers being fed excuses that their phone was not delivered and they will have to wait 1-2 weeks while more are delivered.

Will you still wait or demand an instant refund?

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
The phone is yours and has just been shipped to the store. It has been programmed for your number etc. I’ve never heard of them selling shipped to store phones. I ship to store because I don’t want to worry about being home to sign for it.

Reactions: Statusnone88

DDustiNN

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2011
So, what are the chances the same will happen to the iphone x, store managers realizing they underestimated stock levels and make the decision to use some of the in-store pickups to be sold as normal store units. Thereby in-store pickup customers being fed excuses that their phone was not delivered and they will have to wait 1-2 weeks while more are delivered.
Roughly a 0% chance of that happening. Your order is your order.

Reactions: yang88she

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
I don’t think that has ever happened, the store giving away preordered phones to non-preorders. An Apple Store employee would get fired for such a mistake.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I know from past experiences in-store pickup's have been sacrificed at the expense of those who have queued for days camping outside the store with the in-store pick up's stock being given over to the shop's floor stock so there is something for customers to buy rather than being told all stock has been used for in-store pickup's only.

Mine is reserved and this year they gave me a pick up time. I've had great experiences with this feature. I tend to use it whenever it's available as an option.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
I know first hand that has never happened. How? Why? Well, let me take you back to 2016 when I had a reservation for my iPhone 7 Plus 256gb for instore pickup at 8:30am.

When I got there, people were buying phones that they had reserved, naturally.

The genius goes to get mine, comes back, and says, Mr. Melman101,we are very sorry but your phone hasn’t actually arrived at the store yet. Now, I was wondering why they wouldn’t just sell me one they had, but as mentioned your phone is your phone. They don’t just give anyone any phone.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I know first hand that has never happened. How? Why? Well, let me take you back to 2016 when I had a reservation for my iPhone 7 Plus 256gb for instore pickup at 8:30am.

When I got there, people were buying phones that they had reserved, naturally.

The genius goes to get mine, comes back, and says, Mr. Melman101,we are very sorry but your phone hasn’t actually arrived at the store yet. Now, I was wondering why they wouldn’t just sell me one they had, but as mentioned your phone is your phone. They don’t just give anyone any phone.
Oops! That was hopefully just a glitch in the system they later resolved.

edlex

macrumors 68000
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
The only time I’ve ever heard of that was when IUP started and you had to go in store to get approved for the program and get the phone activated. Many people complained their reserved phones weren’t there after waiting over an hour in the reservation queue line. Those phones weren’t activated yet so I can see how they could have been sold to someone else. Once the phone has been activated with your number it’s yours.

dave006

Contributor
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East

Sorry but you are just repeating an Urban Myth about how in-store pickup works at Apple.

Dave

laptech

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Reason i made the thread is because i suffered this problem with an instore-pickup of an ipad 3 when they came out. The store was selling new ipad3's off the shelves but i was told mine had not come in yet and had to wait. I asked why not sell me one from the shelves then and they said they cannot because mine has serial numbers assigned to my account and it could not be changed.

I demanded an instant refund and got it.

It was then a few weeks later local media was reporting that pre-ordered units were being used as normal stock because the store had underestimated how many ipad3's would sell and thus they needed more stock to sell to walk in customers because it would be bad for the store if they had ques of people waiting to buy but had not enough stock.

Maybe due to the assignment of imei's and serial number and telephone number of the phone, it's not so easy to do the same as they did with the ipads.

Store was in London.

scotio200

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2015
The stores will usually have 1-2 of each variant held back for DOA stock, if they where to sell your pre order you could kick up a fuss and get them to sell you one of those!

brkane

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2015
Any idea of what happens if you miss your pickup window? My girlfriend got 11:00 - 11:30 at one Apple store, and I got 12:00-12:30 at another down the road. I’d like to just drive together to get her’s then mine. Just concerned if they release the device if you miss that window.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
Oops! That was hopefully just a glitch in the system they later resolved.
Hahaha I forgot to finish the story. That's what happens when you are writing after pre-ordering an iPhone X at 3am. LOL

Basically, it was still on the truck being delivered to the store. They were tracking it. I had to wait an hour or two. But they gave me a free case. It happened to two other people as well, I believe. :)

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
Any idea of what happens if you miss your pickup window? My girlfriend got 11:00 - 11:30 at one Apple store, and I got 12:00-12:30 at another down the road. I’d like to just drive together to get her’s then mine. Just concerned if they release the device if you miss that window.
No, the email they send you for picking it up says you can pick it up anytime, but if you miss your window you may have a long wait (meaning you may have to wait in the long line with the cattle rather than the short line for people with appointments, or at least the end of the appointments line).

Last edited:
Reactions: melman101

Peanut207

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
I wonder if you can switch from a home delivery and have them deliver it to the store and go pick it up? This option would be better for me since I don’t know if I’ll be able to be home waiting for delivery all day. I’m guessing not.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
I'm in the same boat, I just have a little longer than you. I got 8:30am and 10:00am.

Mine is about a 20 minute drive. And I'm the creditor on both phones, so I must be there. I'm gonna go to mine early, like 8:15am. Hopefully I'll be out by 9am. And then I'll go straight to the other store.

dstew201

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2016
I wish a MF would sell my pre-ordered and RESERVED iPhone X (which I ALREADY PAID FOR) to some random walk-in customer who failed to pre-order. Only way I’ll accept that is if I somehow miss my pickup window by several hours (which I won’t). Otherwise, bish better have my iPhone X.

HAHAHAHA!!!! :p This post made my day!!!

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
I wonder if you can switch from a home delivery and have them deliver it to the store and go pick it up? This option would be better for me since I don’t know if I’ll be able to be home waiting for delivery all day. I’m guessing not.
Most carriers require that shipments go directly to the address on their file, so I doubt it.