Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I never take any of my electronic devices with me when I go to the pool; the hot summer sun sizzling down or a typical hot, sticky, humid summer day in my area is just not a good thing for them, never mind the chemicals-laden pool water! I figure if anyone calls, texts or emails me while I'm away from my iPhone, watch, iPads and computers, well, it will just have to wait until I'm home again and ready to safely handle my devices again.

DMVillain

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
My iPhones back to the 7 and watches back to the series 0 have been in pools, jacuzzis, oceans, showers... never had an issue.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I don't understand how or why someone would take their phone into the shower. It's so easy to knock it over and have it fall and crack, when water gets in the speaker grille it will mute any audio, and the touchscreen doesn't respond when exposed to lots of water.
Only reason I can think of is if there's a live sporting event being televised on an App, & the owner can't miss it & they have a shelf in the shower where the phone can be leaned on & watched.

I'd never do that myself though.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
My iPhones back to the 7 and watches back to the series 0 have been in pools, jacuzzis, oceans, showers... never had an issue.

Which every iPhone will have a different reaction to water compared to yours. Some have taken their iPhone 7 out in the rain and the water resistance failed. Every situation will vary and iPhones are not manufactured the same across the board.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Was that second pic really worth submerging your expensive phone??
Nope, the picture is rubbish...but hey you don't know until you try...Don't know about you, but I don't like getting my head underwater that close to sting rays...I'd like to keep an eye out on what they are up to...So snapping 'blind' and it didn't work out this time...

But you are missing the point - the phone is absolutely fine. And how much money it costs to buy has nothing to do with it. It is still fine...The best camera is the one you have on you...And my phone is always with me where ever I go...

KUKitch

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2008
England
Nope, the picture is rubbish...but hey you don't know until you try...Don't know about you, but I don't like getting my head underwater that close to sting rays...I'd like to keep an eye out on what they are up to...So snapping 'blind' and it didn't work out this time...

But you are missing the point - the phone is absolutely fine. And how much money it costs to buy has nothing to do with it. It is still fine...The best camera is the one you have on you...And my phone is always with me where ever I go...

I don’t know, I think it actually looks like a pretty cool pic - even if it didn’t quite get the ray!

Reactions: whooleytoo

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
Hi all,

I was wondering about how real the waterproofing of the iPhone X is. Specifically, has anyone had any experience with taking the iPhone X into the shower? Is it alright in there? I have seen the iPhone X extreme water tests on YouTube but I wanted to know specifically whether the iPhone X is okay to take into the shower once or twice per day, every day? For example is there long term damage if you do so? Submerge it in water every day?

Also, in the event that there were to be damage to the iPhone X in the shower as a result of water, would Apple replace it in warranty? Shouldn't Apple help you outside warranty too, because they said that it is good with water? Asking this because of the uproar when the iPhone 7 was released. Apple had said that the iPhone 7 is waterproof but they will not be covering any water related damage to the iPhone 7 as part of warranty, which was very contradictory.

Also, does anyone know how the iPhone X fares when in contact with liquid shower gel, or bars of soap and other shower related items?

Thank you!
If your dead set on using it in the shower. Buy a LifeProof FRE like I have. Double the protection. I didn’t buy it for that reason tho. And I’m actually thinking about returning mine to get an Apple leather case. Not sure yet tho

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Jesus! People can’t even take a shower without their phone, what in the world is so important that can’t wait for you to get out of the shower? Afraid you going to miss something on your Instagram feed in those crucial 10-15 min, Christ almighty

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
That would be a very bad idea. Water damage is not covered by Apple's warranty and you're greatly increasing the risk of water damage by bringing it into the shower with you.

by their standard warranty, correct. AC+ covers it though. It still blows my mind water damage would not be covered under the standard warranty. If my phone got wet from the rain and failed to function properly, that is absolutely a manufacture defect based on the water resistant rating it received.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
I've used the iPhone 7+ and the iPhone X underwater and in the shower. Both are 100% fine. I listen to a podcast every night in the shower with my iPhone X since launch. No issues. Look on YouTube, there are hundreds of videos of people placing the iPhone under water for hours - still works 100%.

Just use common sense. If it's salt water rinse it. If it's dirty rinse it. I went a year with the iPhone 7+ getting wet many - many - times. No issue.
[doublepost=1513888601][/doublepost]
Jesus! People can’t even take a shower without their phone, what in the world is so important that can’t wait for you to get out of the shower? Afraid you going to miss something on your Instagram feed in those crucial 10-15 min, Christ almighty

I listen to the sports podcasts I've missed during the day. Not everyone uses the phone as you do.
[doublepost=1513888692][/doublepost]
Was that second pic really worth submerging your expensive phone??

I've submerged my iPhone 7+ and X many times. It's fine. Don't assume other people treat their phones like babies. It's just a device.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Absolutely spot on @Hankster - it is just a phone, if it breaks it will be replaced...I did the same with my 7+....And I will take my X in the swimming pool as well. They are great devices, and devices are at their most useful when they are actually being used :)

mazdamiata210

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
First, it's water RESISTANT not water PROOF...

Second, take a 5th grade science class and know that water in it's liquid form is not the same molecular structure as water vapor or steam... Which will destroy your phone.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I always say that waterproof phones are like a bulletproof vest. It's great to have the protection for if you happen to get shot, but only an idiot gets themself shot on purpose because they are wearing one.

Note that Apple does NOT cover water damage under their warranty. The fact that they now make their phones water resistant does not mean that they are meant to be regularly soaked.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Good grief! Can people seriously not be without a phone for a whole 7 minutes once every 3 weeks during a shower?

latest

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Part of the problem is ignorance, because many conflict with water resistant and waterproof actually is. What's Interesting, is when phones were never water resistant rated years back, no one would dare take any phone in the shower with them. And now since iPhones have a basic water resistant rating, others feel entitled to go swimming under the ocean with it or take it in the shower and expect no side effects. But then no one seems to care to actually read how water resistance works, they just feel their phone should be able to survive getting wet.

Reactions: Gathomblipoob

Makayla

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2016
I take an old Android into the jacuzzi and the pool (on a float) just to read and I put my iPhone on a chair in both cases because I want to be able to hear if someone calls. In the case of the jacuzzi the phone is dry but there is steam. The Android doesn't go under water but it gets splashed all the time. So far so good.

I took the same phone with me on a trip recently and it was exposed to some extreme elements but I only used GoPro if I wanted to take a video under water.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
That (which is huge), but also people don't swim in really hot water. As I just wrote, if you get into a stinking hot hot tub, don't be surprised if you drown the watch.

I’ve kept my Series 2 watch on in hot tubs and showers for over a year with no issues at all. I understand that Apple advises against showering with the watch, but I chose to wear mine in the shower so I would know what time it is and also be able to play/pause and rewind podcasts while in the shower. I have a Bluetooth speaker in the shower, but I can only control volume on the speaker as there are other no playback controls on it. As with all water resistance with Apple products, though, YMMV.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
First, it's water RESISTANT not water PROOF...

Second, take a 5th grade science class and know that water in it's liquid form is not the same molecular structure as water vapor or steam... Which will destroy your phone.
Water is water, IE H2O whether it is liquid, solid or vapor. It does NOT change it's molecular structure, only its physical state.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
Hi all,

I was wondering about how real the waterproofing of the iPhone X is. Specifically, has anyone had any experience with taking the iPhone X into the shower? Is it alright in there? I have seen the iPhone X extreme water tests on YouTube but I wanted to know specifically whether the iPhone X is okay to take into the shower once or twice per day, every day? For example is there long term damage if you do so? Submerge it in water every day?

Also, in the event that there were to be damage to the iPhone X in the shower as a result of water, would Apple replace it in warranty? Shouldn't Apple help you outside warranty too, because they said that it is good with water? Asking this because of the uproar when the iPhone 7 was released. Apple had said that the iPhone 7 is waterproof but they will not be covering any water related damage to the iPhone 7 as part of warranty, which was very contradictory.

Also, does anyone know how the iPhone X fares when in contact with liquid shower gel, or bars of soap and other shower related items?

Thank you!
Are you that addicted to your phone that you can't take 15 mins. to clean yourself thoroughly, without checking social media, texting or being on a call? Please let us all know the outcome of your phone when you test the waterproofness of your phone.

Reactions: crazynewf7

cbreze

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2014
Oregon
Wow, just wow, but I'm in the shower for about all of 5 minutes if I really take my time. I can actually be away from my phone that long. OP, how long are you in there that having your phone with you is that necessary?

Reactions: crazynewf7
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.