Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UnifiedMelody

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2017
Australia
Hi all,

I was wondering about how real the waterproofing of the iPhone X is. Specifically, has anyone had any experience with taking the iPhone X into the shower? Is it alright in there? I have seen the iPhone X extreme water tests on YouTube but I wanted to know specifically whether the iPhone X is okay to take into the shower once or twice per day, every day? For example is there long term damage if you do so? Submerge it in water every day?

Also, in the event that there were to be damage to the iPhone X in the shower as a result of water, would Apple replace it in warranty? Shouldn't Apple help you outside warranty too, because they said that it is good with water? Asking this because of the uproar when the iPhone 7 was released. Apple had said that the iPhone 7 is waterproof but they will not be covering any water related damage to the iPhone 7 as part of warranty, which was very contradictory.

Also, does anyone know how the iPhone X fares when in contact with liquid shower gel, or bars of soap and other shower related items?

Thank you!

as long as you don't get soap on it, just clean water should be fine. soap is not your best friend, it will strip the oleophobic coating off the screen making it a oil fingerprint magnet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mine took a few cleans in the sink with some nice tapwater and thats the worst ill ever do to it.
[doublepost=1513988586][/doublepost]
Wow, just wow, but I'm in the shower for about all of 5 minutes if I really take my time. I can actually be away from my phone that long. OP, how long are you in there that having your phone with you is that necessary?

more of a freaking ocd or addiction if you ask me...

mazdamiata210

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
Water is water, IE H2O whether it is liquid, solid or vapor. It does NOT change it's molecular structure, only its physical state.

states.gif

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Wow, just wow, but I'm in the shower for about all of 5 minutes if I really take my time. I can actually be away from my phone that long. OP, how long are you in there that having your phone with you is that necessary?

I think if we live in a world where we can't put down our smart phones in order just to take a shower or other personal things that shouldn't involve our smart phones for every tasks we do throughout the day, it starts to become an unhealthy addiction contributing likely other ongoing issues that the individual isn't even aware of or doesn't care to acknowledge . Not a way to live in my Opinion.

iHateMacs

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Coventry, UK
Better to use your Apple Watch as your gateway to the phone while in the shower.

(yes, I've done it; took a couple calls and sent out a group text a few times, too)

My life must be so mundane. All I do in the shower is wash.

How hectic a life must people have that they cannot spare 5 minutes away from their phone to bathe?

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
My life must be so mundane. All I do in the shower is wash.

How hectic a life must people have that they cannot spare 5 minutes away from their phone to bathe?

The group text was to secure some free Motley Crue tickets for my work section. So it was worth it.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Steam likely worse than the water.

Very true. Steam can penetrate past the seals and can also affect the adhesive from separating as well. Even the Apple Watch, which has a 50 m water resistant rating, the Watch has failed for many because of steam from Saunas due to the steam penetrating past the water resistant Seals.

Reactions: Martyimac

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Reading this thread gives me an excuse to take an early shower. Usually wait until the 1st of the month but may take my first 2018 shower early.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Very true. Steam can penetrate past the seals and can also affect the adhesive from separating as well. Even the Apple Watch, which has a 50 m water resistant rating, the Watch has failed for many because of steam from Saunas due to the steam penetrating past the water resistant Seals.

I won’t wear my AW — whether it was my first-gen or my S2 — into the sauna because it’s held together by glue, not because of its 50m WR rating.

The sauna is where I wear my G-Shock, though. It’s cheap, it’s rubber (so it doesn’t bake my skin like my steel watches would), and I wear it because I can’t see the wall clock without my glasses.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
I was given this tip from a jeweler/expensive watch dealer. Will always remember him saying water is one thing.. .but steam will do some damage.

shellbryson

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2006
Edinburgh
Hi all,

I was wondering about how real the waterproofing of the iPhone X is. Specifically, has anyone had any experience with taking the iPhone X into the shower? Is it alright in there? I have seen the iPhone X extreme water tests on YouTube but I wanted to know specifically whether the iPhone X is okay to take into the shower once or twice per day, every day? For example is there long term damage if you do so? Submerge it in water every day?

Also, in the event that there were to be damage to the iPhone X in the shower as a result of water, would Apple replace it in warranty? Shouldn't Apple help you outside warranty too, because they said that it is good with water? Asking this because of the uproar when the iPhone 7 was released. Apple had said that the iPhone 7 is waterproof but they will not be covering any water related damage to the iPhone 7 as part of warranty, which was very contradictory.

Also, does anyone know how the iPhone X fares when in contact with liquid shower gel, or bars of soap and other shower related items?

Thank you!

I use mine in the shower.

As for the folks asking “why would you do that!?” in this thread, I’m a writer. The best dialogue & plot twists sneak up when you are least able to write them down... (& I became tired of yelling at Siri over the noise of the shower).

I’ve had no issues with the X, but it wouldn’t hold it under the showerhead or anything—and keep it away from soap.

Reactions: JanieKay

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
What ever happened to common sense? User is standing under a hot shower, then for some reason picks up the iPhone X with a wet, soapy hand and -- boom! iPhone lands on bottom of tub or shower stall, glass breaks..... End of that particular iPhone X!

Someone talking complete sense at last. Very welcome.

What an utterly bizarre thread. Crikey, I hardly go a day without dropping soap......

And besides, the shower is a great place to think; why would one want any distractions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.