iPhone X Iphone x not really happy with it.....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by XxpikachuxX, Apr 27, 2018.

1. XxpikachuxX macrumors 6502

So i got an iphone x very cheap.... i got it for 750 brand new unlocked i got lucky i guess, I went from the iphone 7 to the x, but I am really missing how fast and easy touch id was, i would say face id works 70 percent of the time but i have to work around the phone.... also is not that small andI do not think the screen looks that much better ..... Im thinking about getting the iphone 8 but it looks the same as the iphone6,6s,7,lol im just in a weird place, why couldn't apple just put touch id on the back logo imagine that. Im i crazy for thinking this way?

2. Relentless Power, Apr 27, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Sell it and buy what you’re comfortable with. There is nothing wrong with the iPhone 8, as its something that you were used to with previous versions of the iPhone.

As for your question as to why Apple didn’t put touch ID on the back of the Apple iPhone logo, I’m perfectly happy that they did not do that. As a matter fact, they did experiment with that as an option, but ultimately decided on Face ID.

3. aakshey macrumors 65816

aakshey

My only complaint is it is too big and heavy. It nails every other phone in the world so bad it ain’t funny.

4. sunapple macrumors 68000

sunapple

Looking at your complaints and the fact that switching to an 8 wouldn’t be that much cheaper in this case, why not just deal with it? Maybe you’ll get used to the phone. It does have some perk, right? The design is different from last year, cameras, err, Animoji?

5. Ralfi macrumors 68020

Ralfi

I think it's an extension of IOS - it's Apple separating itself from the competition. They developed a very secure method of biometric authentication in Face ID (which has its flaws in its first incarnation, but works very well for most people) & wanted that to be their exclusive 'welcome mat' into their phone.

The 'feel' of an iPhone (as in the whole user experience) is what Apple wanted Face ID to kick off. It's an introduction to their new gesture-based UI & has paved the way for others to emulate.

Having a fingerprint sensor on the back still requires you to lift the phone, so it doesn't add a whole lot of convenience over Face ID. & once you use Face ID to its fullest (unlocking website passwords etc.), you realise how much more intuitive it is over needing to make contact with the back of the phone, especially when using the iPhone on a stand.

6. aakshey macrumors 65816

aakshey

Face ID rocks. Those who complain are those who haven’t used it on the Face ID themselves.

7. Dodgeman macrumors 65816

Whichever way you go that price of $750 is a steal.

8. spooklog macrumors member

spooklog

I'm onboard with your feelings that the iPhone X screen isn't that much better than the iPhone 8 screen. At the end of the day, I realize that I'm happy with the iPhone 8's form factor, and I don't need to upgrade to a different look and feel.

9. orev macrumors 6502

That's a strange thing to say. There are clearly areas where TouchId is better than FaceID (try unlocking your phone while wearing a face mask when skiing), and vice versa. Also FaceID does "miss" sometimes, probably more than TouchID since touchID is mature and faceID isn't. These are objective statements that contradict your absolutist position.

10. sean000 macrumors 68000

sean000

If you are skiing in a mask, aren't you wearing gloves too? So you either have to remove your ski mask for FaceID, or your glove for TouchID. Perhaps removing a glove is easier in that situation, but most of us wear gloves far more often than we wear masks.

There are clearly areas where TouchID is better, but you can turn that around and say there are clearly areas where FaceID is better. Both options have their limitations, but overall I don't find one to be more reliable than the other. I use both all day every day (iPhone X and iPad Pro), and personally I find FaceID to be more convenient and seamless. For example: Every time I launch a secure app on my iPad, it takes me a beat to remember I have to touch the home button with my thumb. I'm so used to secure apps just opening without me having to do anything (because FaceID), not to mention the gestures, that the home button and TouchID just feel cumbersome to me now.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 27, 2018 ---
    You might want to give it some time, and consider why FaceID isn't work for you when it fails. Is it because your face is half obscured by a pillow? Are you looking at your phone from a significant angle? If it's just not recognizing you with glasses or some other minor change, just enter your passcode. The machine learning will add the information to the FaceID database and it will improve (Every time you reset FaceID you are wiping out that history). After the first week or so mine started to recognize me with or without glasses/sunglasses and with/without hats or a bike helmet. I alternate between FaceID and TouchID all day (iPhone X and iPad Pro). In my experience they both work equally well, but they both have their limitations. In my opinion FaceID feels more convenient, faster, seamless, fluid... especially combined with the gesture driven interface rather than the home button.

The iPhone 8 is a nice phone, and I agree that the iPhone X display isn't significantly better, or it's not better in ways that matter to most people. The displays on the 6/7/8 have some advantages over OLED as well, so it's not a case where one type of display is clearly better than the other. Going between my iPhone X and my iPad Pro, I don't notice that one looks better than the other. I just notice when one has more finger smudges than the other and I'm reminded to clean all my screens. :p

The big advantage of the iPhone X for me is the camera system. The iPhone 8 Plus is almost as good in this regard (the iPhone X has a slight edge that will only matter in a few situations... if it matters at all). The 8 Plus is just too big for me, so I value the X because I get dual cameras in a smaller iPhone.

The reason I say give it some time is because I believe FaceID negativity is mostly due to the fact that people aren't used to it. They are so used to TouchID that they now overlook its flaws, and they've learned to modify their behavior to avoid TouchID pitfalls. It doesn't take long to learn to avoid the FaceID pitfalls. Another reason people are hard on FaceID is because it's less noticeable when it works and that makes it more noticeable when it doesn't.

11. BugeyeSTI, Apr 27, 2018

BugeyeSTI macrumors 68020

BugeyeSTI

Try using touchid with gloves on and see how it works. Faceid works better than touchid for me. Working with your hands for a living, touchid works maybe 60% of the time and that’s gen2 touchid. Gen1 was much worse.. I’ve only had to use my passcode a few times since December and that was when it was on a table or upside down. Bright direct sunlight also seems to give FaceId issues as well

12. majkom macrumors 65816

Ip X uses pwm - no way I will buy phone with such a agressive pwm usage...

13. gahig ulo macrumors 6502a

gahig ulo

Touch id never works well for me i have sweaty hands though.face id works and i no longer use passcode.

14. anitak1982 macrumors 6502

anitak1982

Face ID didn't work like it should the first time I configured it. So I redid it and dropped my chin as close to my chest as I could as I realized often I was looking down when unlocking it. That helped alot

15. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

Definitely resell it if you aren't vibing with it

at the price you got it for , you'll break even or maybe profit a little for getting rid of it

$750 is still a good chunk of change tho for something you aren't completely happy with

New phones will be here in 4 months too

16. aakshey macrumors 65816

aakshey

For many days have you used Face ID with your iPhone X?

I won’t argue with you if the answer is 0.

17. EM2013 macrumors 68000

EM2013

Ever since the x was introduced it’s literally been Face ID is better than Touch ID. Or Touch ID is better than Face ID.

I’d say the dead horse has been beaten enough.

18. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

Face ID may be a tad slower than Touch ID, but you save time from the lock screen when opening apps or apps that require a password.

For me Face ID works great. Speed wise it’s betwen gen 1 and gen 2 of Touch ID.

19. bbrks macrumors 65816

bbrks

I only know one thing, after using FaceID for 2 days, I totally forgot everything about TouchID.

20. TC_GoldRush macrumors 6502

TC_GoldRush

No, fingerprint sensors are so much quicker.

21. nrvna76 macrumors 6502a

The quicker or not quicker between the two has a lot to do with if you have rest to unlock on or not. This is not yet an option with faceid but would make it seem much quicker.

22. Relentless Power, Apr 27, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Since version two of touch ID, yes; you are correct. Hopefully Face ID will get to that point where touch ID is now, where it improves with the accuracy and speed of unlocking. I still think Face ID is in its infancy, and that will change over time with hardware improvements.

23. sean000 macrumors 68000

sean000

I've been going back and forth between my iPhone X and iPad Pro, and I can't really tell a difference in speed. The test I'm doing is how long it takes for me to go from blank screen to home screen. Less than a second on both devices.

I also tested going from home screen to launching a secure app (Outlook). In this case FaceID was a hair faster, but that might just be due to my iPhone X being faster to launch the app than my older 9.7 inch iPad Pro is.

After about 10 tries on each device, FaceID did not fail a single time. TouchID failed twice because my thumb wasn't positioned quite right.

24. orev macrumors 6502

Been using it since launch day. My statements are not an opinion. They are facts about the differences between the two systems. Stop arguing facts. There are differences and it is easy to see how some people could have different experiences based on that.
    That is exactly what I said, so don't try to make my comments negative just to argue against them. There are other areas (than a ski mask) where faceID could have problems too. Don't be so limiting just to make your argument true. My point is, which is completely factual and inarguable, is that the systems work differently so they will each have different ways in which they don't work. For some people that will be a bigger deal than others.
    Yes, obviously it doesn't work with gloves. Why do people feel compelled to post such obvious things? Different people will have different experiences in different situations. If you're only talking about you, then why have conversations with other people?

25. eyeseeyou macrumors 68030

You’re not allowed to say that lol
    The 2 standout differences for me between a Plus iPhone and an x is obviously the size, thinner bezels and swipe gestures.

Imo the gestures are really what makes the x enjoyable to use.